Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 348955 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2725 on: August 05, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
Here are the pictures of the fruits cut.

The large pink fruit was white on the inside.  The taste was sweet.  Much sweeter than the store bought fruits (except the megalantus - golden yellow) .  The next fruit is a very deep purple.  It had a tart component to the taste.  Both are agreeable and I will eat them again.

I am still a mango guy but variety is the spice of life.  For dragon fruit folks who would have wanted a more technical description of the taste, you have to send someone by to taste and report or take a cutting and grow the fruit for yourself :)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: August 08, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
Here are the pictures of the fruits cut.

The large pink fruit was white on the inside.  The taste was sweet.  Much sweeter than the store bought fruits (except the megalantus - golden yellow) .  The next fruit is a very deep purple.  It had a tart component to the taste.  Both are agreeable and I will eat them again.

I am still a mango guy but variety is the spice of life.  For dragon fruit folks who would have wanted a more technical description of the taste, you have to send someone by to taste and report or take a cutting and grow the fruit for yourself :)

Is the ‘Megalantus’ (‘golden-yellow’) found and available in South Florida, USA?
'Virtue', learn/teach/propagate it, you'll save others and yourself.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 08, 2018, 09:39:20 PM »
Can this PG flower still be pollinated? it's been open since last night

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 08, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: August 08, 2018, 09:44:02 PM »

one of my sugar dragon flower is opening tonight I'm trying to see if I can pollinate the physical graffiti flower

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: August 09, 2018, 05:55:39 PM »
Yes to your question Brandon. As long as you can get access to the pistil stem without damaging it, you can still apply pollen up to 2 days after bloom. The flower petals spread and wilt quickly, but the flower is still fertile until the pistil starts to degrade, usually from heat. The issue is the waspy thin petals can get a bit clingy once they wilt, so you have to use extreme care to not only peal them away (try not to tear them) but to put them back, so they can protect the pistil as it accepts the pollen and begins fertilization. On self fertile fruits, I often give the flowers a good shake in the morning, after they've closed, just incase theres any remaining pollen on the anthers, just to see if they can make their way down to the now drooping pistil.

As a side note, if you have flowers on the cusp of blooming but you have to be away for some reason, the opposite is true as well, where you can force the front of the flower open and slip some pollen onto the pistil. Figure you have at least 24 hours in both directions to fertilize a flower from its optimal bloom state.

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 09, 2018, 09:37:01 PM »
Yes to your question Brandon. As long as you can get access to the pistil stem without damaging it, you can still apply pollen up to 2 days after bloom. The flower petals spread and wilt quickly, but the flower is still fertile until the pistil starts to degrade, usually from heat. The issue is the waspy thin petals can get a bit clingy once they wilt, so you have to use extreme care to not only peal them away (try not to tear them) but to put them back, so they can protect the pistil as it accepts the pollen and begins fertilization. On self fertile fruits, I often give the flowers a good shake in the morning, after they've closed, just incase theres any remaining pollen on the anthers, just to see if they can make their way down to the now drooping pistil.

As a side note, if you have flowers on the cusp of blooming but you have to be away for some reason, the opposite is true as well, where you can force the front of the flower open and slip some pollen onto the pistil. Figure you have at least 24 hours in both directions to fertilize a flower from its optimal bloom state.
Thank you Rob for the info I'm glad I can still pollinate the flower

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 12, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »
A friend of mine bought a giant Yellow Megalanthus DF from 99 Ranch market and it had a stub of a vine so he grafted it onto another DF rootstock. Shortly after the graft, he noticed new growth from the stub. Here are some pictures

Simon

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers