Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 423490 times)

smilingstone

• Nanning city, China
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2875 on: March 02, 2019, 03:14:17 AM »
If sugar dragon need to pollinated by hand?or self pollinate?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 02, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
If sugar dragon need to pollinated by hand?or self pollinate?

It self pollinates.
Brad Spaugh

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 03, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »
The S8 Sugar Dragon variety is self fertile, and self pollinating, but it does do better if you have the time to assist with the pollinization.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 05, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »
Indoors, SW-facing window, though it has some kind of tint on it.

Probably needs more light input.  Even a CFL bulb would help.  Ideally run it on a timer for 14hrs a day until its warm enough to move outdoors. 

You probably already know but its super important to thin to a single vine ASAP on those DF seedlings.  You will get the growth you want if you always remove new vines and focus all energy into 1 vine.  If you let a seedling go with many vines thry just stall out and take forever to grow. 

10-4, I think this bout of cold will be over soon and out they will go. I didn't realize it was such a priority, I have some older seedlings from a large yellow fruit which I hadn't had the heart to prune yet. I'll get on that, thank you.

Nate I meant to post this weeks ago and forgot.  This is a palora seedling that a forum member named Kang left here back in Fall.  It had several vines on it and the growth was small and slow.  I thinned it to one vine and you can see where it took off at that point and now has mature looking growth.  This plant will probably produce fruit by end of summer. 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:17:24 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 11, 2019, 05:21:04 AM »

Anyone like to take a guess on the chance of this being a Megalanthus cross? Red flesh fruit, no spikes, self pollinating. From Vietnam apparently.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:24:07 AM by Rannman »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: March 11, 2019, 10:28:15 AM »

Anyone like to take a guess on the chance of this being a Megalanthus cross? Red flesh fruit, no spikes, self pollinating. From Vietnam apparently.

It looks like polyrhizus.
Brad Spaugh

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2881 on: March 11, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »

My guess NOT a Megalanthus cross.

Anto989

• South Italy , calabria region near the tirrenian coast
    • View Profile
    • The exotic farm
« Reply #2882 on: March 13, 2019, 02:51:37 PM »

Looks like a natural mystic

smilingstone

• Nanning city, China
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 15, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »
Well it seems to vary. This winter we only had a few days under 32, one in the 20's. The winter of 2009, we had several days down into the teens lol. I think it usually gets into the upper to mid 20's F a few times in the winter and several nights of 32F. It warms up pretty good during the daytime.  I have only been here 3 1/2 years so far so kinda figuring it out as I go. We got up into the 100's F a few times last summer but the direct sun here is not as burning hot as when I lived on the west coast, probably due to the humidity.

Soooo I am thinking, if I built a long wooden raised bed with a tall 2x4 frame around it I could cover it if I needed to and possibly even stick a small heater in there if it gets too cold.

Lenette
I do have anti-rain cover to protect the DF from frost and cold rain in winter. or the  tender branch will hurted.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers