Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Its Now Time To Foliar Feed For Best Crop Of Fruit  (Read 7887 times)

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Its Now Time To Foliar Feed For Best Crop Of Fruit
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
I followed Millet's recommendations for feeding and spraying my citrus this year, and all of my trees (save for a 2nd year Golden Nugget that set just one fruit) are holding 2-3x the fruit as they were last year.  I know comparing one season to the next is not particularly meaningful statistically, regardless, I do believe this regimen has helped.  The trees aren't the most beautiful.  They are sandwiched next to my house on the East side and receive only morning and early afternoon light.

Below are a couple pics through the home window at the Washington navel, holding 45+ fruit.  All of these trees are containerized, and it's a miracle they are still limping along 7 years after transplanting.

Thanks for all the great forum tips and support Millet!

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
I used this method on all my citrus trees ...some in ground and some pots plus my friends 9 trees in ground.........they all responded with loads of blooms.....nice one millet.......i have been foliar feeding with a seaweed and fish emulsion blend since and this is well liked by the trees too.
     The guy i buy my trees gave me a really useful tip as well........he said never to feed at soil or foliar feed when any plant is starting to flower or in flower as it disrupts the growth cycle..........That explains why all my eureka lemons dropped last year at flower stage......very good tip......
Now i just wait for the flowering to finish before i feed at all....even my strawbs.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:52:04 AM by laidbackdood »

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:24 AM »
nice one z willis ;)

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »
update.....i sprayed my trees one month before spring bud break and they all flowered prolifically..........some of them are covered in tiny little fruits and flowering has finished.......i sprayed again and went away for two days......all the little fruits doubled in size over those two days(early fruit drop).....leaves have gone darker green on a lot of trees as well...........so when do i do the final spray of urea then millet please?
Summer has just started here now.(Dec 1st).......it was 40C today..... Evil hot.

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
I followed Millet's recommendation on all my citrus trees as posted here.
I just want to share my young Pummelo tree, about 10-12 feet tall now,
only showed 5 dropped flowers last year, now is holding 9 sizing up fruits:

I think that the extra Low Biuret spray applications have positive effect,
so thanks again Millet! Will do the tasting pretty soon...
Sam

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2018, 12:10:24 AM »
Dear Millet.......I am going to spray my trees for citrus leafminer with neem oil mixed with another oil(eco oil).........Would it be good to apply a small amount of urea with this mix as well.....was thinking the oil would help to seal the urea underneath its coating.........good idea or silly Millet?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2018, 03:48:22 PM »
Laidback, I don't think neem oil will do much to take care of leaf miner.  Because urea is a very hydroscopic chemical it should be sprayed with water.  The tree can only absorb urea when it is in the liquid state.  Even when urea dries on the leaf surface, it will rehydrate itself when the humidity raises once again.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
I have tried many oils to treat leafminer.......its a real problem where i live........the neem oil is very good as it soaks into the leaf and actually kills the grub........all the others just provide a coating on the leaf.....therefore making it difficult to get in...........i was told by my citrus man to combine the two for better effect and its the best i have found so far......the eco oil or pest oil on its own did nothing to deter them..........this mix of the two i have found to be 95% effective....still some but not much..........i have mixed in a little fish/seaweed fert with the above before and that has had good results but i will do the urea on its own then........thanks for that. ;).....with the urea drying.........i saw white powder stuff around the fruits at the base of quite a few fruits on a couple of trees....thats the dried urea is it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:32:57 AM by laidbackdood »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
Yes it is the dried urea.  With high humidity the white residue will once again re=wet and be available to the tree.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers