Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Citsuma Prague  (Read 25654 times)

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Citsuma Prague
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Great to see your pictures.  What is the size of the fruit?

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
I forgot to measure it but it weighed exactly 70 grams.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
Here's a picture of the Citsuma Prague I saw in Jim's yard

(in Vancouver, WA, right across the bridge from Portland)

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2020, 03:53:49 PM »
Thank you Socal, for posting that image of my tree. 
I harvested the fruit on that in mid-November.  About 6 lbs.  They range in size from sub-ping-pong ball to medium size Satsuma.  The flavor is good, but rather sour.  Ripeness varies considerably.  The ripest ones have 'squishy' peels and peel rather easily, though not so easily as Satsumas.  Since snow flurries are occurring, I think I'll stay indoors and use the time to do a Brix and Acid level reading this afternoon, using the smaller ones.

I apologize for the blurriness of the image, but I ain't no photographer.  The fruit above the ruler are some of the Citsumas; I've eaten the largest few, and juiced a few others for a Chinese dish.  The three fruit on the bottom of the image are typical LA Early Satsumas, to provide scale, along with the blurry ruler.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:34 PM »
Itís nice to know someone in the USA has citsuma Prague. Maybe it can become easier to come by.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2020, 09:04:57 AM »
Thank you Socal, for posting that image of my tree. 
I harvested the fruit on that in mid-November.  About 6 lbs.  They range in size from sub-ping-pong ball to medium size Satsuma.  The flavor is good, but rather sour.  Ripeness varies considerably.  The ripest ones have 'squishy' peels and peel rather easily, though not so easily as Satsumas.  Since snow flurries are occurring, I think I'll stay indoors and use the time to do a Brix and Acid level reading this afternoon, using the smaller ones.

I apologize for the blurriness of the image, but I ain't no photographer.  The fruit above the ruler are some of the Citsumas; I've eaten the largest few, and juiced a few others for a Chinese dish.  The three fruit on the bottom of the image are typical LA Early Satsumas, to provide scale, along with the blurry ruler.

Thanks for your comparison, Jim! May I ask if your Prague is a regular bearer? Has it ever had trouble fruiting?

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
Hi Florian

It's bloomed for a couple years, but this is the first year it's set fruit.  Unlike earlier blooms, this year was a very heavy bloom, and it took place over a very long time; Starting on May 5th and ending on June 30th- nearly two months.  All my other citrus typically bloom within a 2-3 week period in mid-May or so, save the Flying Dragon, which blooms in March.  The extended bloom time probably accounts for at least part of the wide variation in size, and also sourness.

Also, the Brix numbers for the Prague Citsuma:

Brix= 11.8  Tartaric Acid= 2.8% and the sugar to acid ratio is 4.2.  This is rather on the sour side, thoug individual fruit are much sweeteer.  This is an average over a number of fruit- some are much sweeter and some are sourer.

For comparison, the Satsumas have sugar to acid ratios of 7.3 and 9.0

This was a rather cool summer; Warmer summers may produce sweeter fruit

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers