Author Topic: Mango varieties taste  (Read 1834 times)

gaberec

• Italy (west coast of Sicily) Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Mango varieties taste
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:16:47 AM »
hello everybody,
I would have some info regarding taste of particular varieties of mangoes.

I ate Nam dok mai....the best I ever eaten.
kensington pride good....excellent fragrance but i need totally fiberless.
Glenn is very good very sweet no fiber.

Coconut cream is really with coconut taste...so is it sweet? fiberless?
Lemon zest how is it? is it lemon taste?
cushman, julie,pickering,dot,angie, carrie, ice cream, pina colada, kent, mallika, edward, carabao, choc anon

so there are varieties of these which are not so good? or everyone is good and sweet?

according to you which are the best pratically ? eheh

thanks
Gabriele

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango varieties taste
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
Are all these varieties available in Sicily, and do you grow mangos?  Or is this just an intellectual exercise?  Just wondering.  (These varieties and how they taste have been covered extensively on this forum--all good, all sweet, different flavor profiles, subject to personal preferences.  The new Zill introductions are generally considered to be the most flavorful, but many old varieties are excellent as well, such as Dot and Edward.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:05:15 PM by johnb51 »
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »
hello everybody,
I would have some info regarding taste of particular varieties of mangoes.

I ate Nam dok mai....the best I ever eaten.
kensington pride good....excellent fragrance but i need totally fiberless.
Glenn is very good very sweet no fiber.

Coconut cream is really with coconut taste...so is it sweet? fiberless?
Lemon zest how is it? is it lemon taste?

cushman, julie,pickering,dot,angie, carrie, ice cream, pina colada, kent, mallika, edward, carabao, choc anon

so there are varieties of these which are not so good? or everyone is good and sweet?

according to you which are the best pratically ? eheh

thanks
Gabriele

Are you looking to grow mangoes or just want to know about the taste and quality of the fruit? as John mentioned, all the new Zill varieties are sweet, improved  hybrids,  but many older mango varieties are still very good.   of all those mentioned,  I recommend you type the name of the variety, in the search, and you can get all the details from different growers and tasters.   there is a lot of information on all these varieties. 

also taste is subjective,   one persons favorite could be disliked by another individual.   for example, I love Carrie,  but some members hate it.   if you are looking for trees to grow you also need to take into consideration how well a particular variety will grow in your location, and the size of the tree.

Edited to fix,  my response which was originally inserted within the quote.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:05:24 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
As of yet, all of the great tasting mangoes that I've tasted, all have some minor issues, at least.

I'm still looking for a great tasting mango variety that has no issues. In other words, I'm still looking for the perfect mango variety, but have not found it yet.

Here are some great tasting varieties (IMO) and their issues:

Glenn: Season is over rather quickly; wish fruit were larger...
Carrie: Some people have issues with 'ras-Ma-tang' piney residue taste, others like myself, just love it.
Young (Tebow): Some might find sugar content low.
Cushman: I've been told that those that see the adult tree, have a tendency to throw (it's that ugly?).
Edward: Low fruit production.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.