Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Dr. Richard Campbell's orchard and some of his favorite mangos  (Read 16016 times)

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Richard Campbell's orchard and some of his favorite mangos
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2020, 10:04:40 AM »
Personal communications indicate that dwarfing root-stocks found so far, dwarf some varieties well, and others not at all.  Sounds as though nurseries could end up with a complicated mess of different seedling batches.
Is it know which varieties that piva rootstock will dwarf? Truely Tropical has a beautiful Phoenix on a dwarf rootstock  that looks to be about 6 foot tall and maybe 6 feet wide from what i can guess from youtube. She stated it is about ten years old and she received as a gift.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 01:14:13 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS   Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Tete Nene Julie Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS   Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2020, 01:36:26 PM »
Personal communications indicate that dwarfing root-stocks found so far, dwarf some varieties well, and others not at all.  Sounds as though nurseries could end up with a complicated mess of different seedling batches.
Is it know which varieties that piva rootstock will dwarf? Truely Tropical has a beautiful Phoenix on a dwarf rootstock  that looks to be about 6 foot tall and maybe 6 feet wide from what i can guess from youtube. She stated it is about ten years old and she received as a gift.

Two years old, not 10.  I have always thought my Phoenix was grafted on a dwarfing rootstock.  Mine was purchased and planted in the summer of 2017 as a 3 gallon about 2 feet tall is very similar in growth and height.  It survived the wrath of hurricane Irma as a very small tree only a few months in the ground.
- Rob

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2020, 04:56:00 PM »

Two years old, not 10.  I have always thought my Phoenix was grafted on a dwarfing rootstock.  Mine was purchased and planted in the summer of 2017 as a 3 gallon about 2 feet tall is very similar in growth and height.  It survived the wrath of hurricane Irma as a very small tree only a few months in the ground.
Was she somewhat precocious? Has she been generous with giving fruit?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »
I have never heard of Piva root-stock.
Har

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »

Last year, my tree flowered profusely and set fruit but I pulled all fruit.  This year, flowering was sparse (was sparse on most of my trees), and set a few fruit which I unwantingly fed to the squirrels.  I will post a picture of the tree
- Rob

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2020, 09:29:21 PM »
Piva is said to be a fruit from South Africa.
https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/piva

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2020, 09:49:11 PM »
I have never heard of Piva root-stock.

I saw it last summer at Dr Campbell ‘s. Alex grows the tree and has fruit. The challenge with Piva is it grows slowly, so getting a decent size rootstock takes longer than normal. I’m told Gary Zill may have found rootstock’s holy grail: a vigorously rootstock that still dwarfs what’s worked onto it.

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2020, 06:39:28 AM »

Last year, my tree flowered profusely and set fruit but I pulled all fruit.  This year, flowering was sparse (was sparse on most of my trees), and set a few fruit which I unwantingly fed to the squirrels.  I will post a picture of the tree
Please do i would enjoy seeing that photo :) I had one Phoenix this year and i am all in on this variety. I have budwood coming from Delray Beach and have ordered one Phoenix to be graft on piva root stock(WPB).Because of limited space i hope it turns out to be like Truely Tropicals 

https://www.youtubetrimmer.com/view/?v=1Tf0Zg4P0Z0&start=234&end=298
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:09:39 PM by bovine421 »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2020, 11:25:09 AM »
Pineislander, thank you for the Piva info.
Har

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
I ran across this review of information about mango rootstocks worldwide, in .pdf file format.
https://www.mango.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Mango_rootstock_Final_Report_Eng.pdf

The mango Board which published the above also has a page with many research papers, most are post harvest, nutrition value and consumer which may be of interest.
https://www.mango.org/research/

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
I ran across this review of information about mango rootstocks worldwide, in .pdf file format.
https://www.mango.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Mango_rootstock_Final_Report_Eng.pdf

The mango Board which published the above also has a page with many research papers, most are post harvest, nutrition value and consumer which may be of interest.
https://www.mango.org/research/
The use of the rootstock ‘Piva’ as interstock has proven very efficient in different
countries to reduce tree size (S. Oosthuye. 2016- Hort Reeaarch. South Africa Personal
communication) and this has been also proven with several cultivars in Florida (N. Ledesma.2016
Fairchild Tropical Garden. Florida. Personal communication).

https://www.mango.org/blog-womens-history-month-spotlight/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:49:02 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2020, 06:52:42 PM »

Please do i would enjoy seeing that photo :) I had one Phoenix this year and i am all in on this variety. I have budwood coming from Delray Beach and have ordered one Phoenix to be graft on piva root stock(WPB).Because of limited space i hope it turns out to be like Truely Tropicals 

https://www.youtubetrimmer.com/view/?v=1Tf0Zg4P0Z0&start=234&end=298

Here are pictures from both sides.  Its about 6' x 6'.  Again, planted in Summer of 2017 as a 3 gal purchased at ZHPP.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:01:23 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
Beautiful!

...now wish I had kept those Piva seeds

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
Beautiful!

I dont know what rootstock it is on but it us considerably more dwarfed/compact compared to any of my other trees that were planted as 3 gal at the same time.
- Rob

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2020, 08:17:07 PM »
Beautiful!

I dont know what rootstock it is on but it us considerably more dwarfed/compact compared to any of my other trees that were planted as 3 gal at the same time.
That is a thing of beauty!!! What would you guesstimate its height and width would have been if it was  grafted on turpin rootstock?

zands

• wango_tango_mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2020, 02:08:47 PM »
I'm not talking. But all I got to say. Is I planted an Orange Sherbet last November and it is doing great.

And I planted this after a poster here said Richard Campbell planted 30 of Orange Sherbet, he had such confidence in them. What is good enough for Richard Campbell is good enough for me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:15:24 PM by zands »

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers