Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 27306 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
Definitely pure mexican and not fuerte.  Good job!  Those are good avos for northern CA.
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2018, 02:23:32 PM »
Wow, I'm sure embarrassed.  When I planted three Avocado trees years back, I had two type-A (Bacon and Mexicola) + one type-b Furte.  I intended to plant the Furte in between the two Type-A trees.  This middle tree always showed the most growth and height by at least a factor of 50%.  So I've had it in my mind that this tree is a Furte for many years.  But this definitely is not Furte fruit, and it definitely is a Mexicola with the thin anise flavored skin.  I think the tree to the left of it must be the Furte, and that tree is holding one single Green, slightly variegated in green/yellow color avocado.  I think the tree to the right must be my Bacon, which didn't set any fruit this year.  So Furte is supposed to be far superior in taste/consistency to Mexicola, which means I was tasting the lesser specimen.  That, at least, is good news. :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:26:56 PM by z_willus_d »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Fuerte has spekkles on the wood.  Bacon had larger more robust leaves.  If you post photos it should be easy to tell whats what.
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
Hi Brad, here are some pics of the three trees.  I may have posted one or more of these before.  I now believe left to right these are: Fuerte, Mexicola, Bacon.
Thanks!

IndigoEmu

• US, Florida, Longwood, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 12, 2018, 09:27:12 AM »
Does anybody have any experience with fruiting/ripening/taste of Lila and Winter Mexican avocados in Central Florida? Chose these two because they *should* handle even our coldest winters without issue. From the very few reports Iíve read fruit quality is at least decent...but again, not a lot of information out there.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers