Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 65484 times)

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #750 on: March 23, 2020, 12:31:53 AM »
There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it.

Folks here love it, says it's rich.  It produces a large fruit with a long neck.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/160547928066846/

I grew it in Corpus Christi which has a clime similar to yours, raised bed over black clay gumbo.  Did real well, fruited early, moved away when it was a 2-3 year old tree.

Mark, Do you mind to share details of your plater? It looks interesting but I could not make of size and material.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 26, 2020, 12:16:44 AM »

Hey Forum,

Very happy to say after 5 years my oro negro is finally flowering, Im stoked though noticed much yellowing leaves. Should I be worried, is this normal behavior when flowering? My buddy has an avocado, unknown type but raging flowering and hes got yellowing leaves too 🤷‍♂️

Joe

Congrats, that's a long time to wait for flowers. 

In CA, the leaves fall off in spring and the tree flushes new leaves.  Probably the same thing you are seeing.  The tree is using the energy to flower.  Now would be a good time to give it a little fertilizer with nitrogen and potassium and micro nutrient including zinc.

I've heard Oro negro is a late fruiter. Also took mine 5 years to make 3 flowers , following year none (transplant shock I bet), then last year many flowers and some fruit but suffered sunburn, damaged trunk, and some root problems. I'm going to stump it and see what happens. All my trees that I had in pots for many years before going in ground are showing signs of weak roots.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 26, 2020, 06:22:55 AM »
There are so many bad reviews of Gillogly online. I have access to a tree here and the patent has expired. I may try to graft a piece here but I am not sure it's worth it.

Folks here love it, says it's rich.  It produces a large fruit with a long neck.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/160547928066846/

I grew it in Corpus Christi which has a clime similar to yours, raised bed over black clay gumbo.  Did real well, fruited early, moved away when it was a 2-3 year old tree.

Mark, Do you mind to share details of your planter? It looks interesting but I could not make of size and material.

Nothing more than scallop top concrete tree rings cemented flat sides together to form a raised bed.  My cement skills suck but it got the job done. 

Pnguyen

• USA, CA, Orange, 10a & 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 26, 2020, 11:52:44 PM »

Look good to me.

Mark, Do you mind to share details of your planter? It looks interesting but I could not make of size and material.

Nothing more than scallop top concrete tree rings cemented flat sides together to form a raised bed.  My cement skills suck but it got the job done.

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 27, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »
Anyone growing Monroe in the Orlando area? Carlos and Pine Island Nursery have such good things to say about it but I really don't see much else talk about it or anywhere to buy it.

Sabah_2018

• USA, California, San Diego, 10A
    • View Profile
Yamagata avocado in Southern California
« Reply #755 on: March 31, 2020, 03:37:50 AM »
I have a Yamagata avocado tree that I am optimistic will give me fruits this year, because the tree is about 8 feet tall and is producing lots of flowers. Does anyone know approximately when the fruits usually ripen in Southern California (San Diego specifically)?

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers