Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Oro Negro Avocado: Purchased and planted 1 year ago Flowering already?  (Read 605 times)

GangstaRIB

• Clermont, FL | Central Florida Ridges and Uplands USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I was looking at Carlos's (CTMIAMI) website and I believe these are budding, flowers. Can anyone here confirm?

I just purchased the tree a year ago late Jan 2018 which was in a 3 gallon pot. It is an oro negro grafted to lula seedling per the nursery (toptropicals.com). She is about 4 ft tall but I believe the nursery topped it for shipping so she has 3 main upright shoots. I can't believe after 1 year in the ground it would flower so are these in fact buds? It doesn't look like the flush it got last year which didn't start until March/Apr and flush was red. How tall do cados needs to be to bear their first fruit?

I'm in North Orlando, FL usda zone 9b

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Oro Negro Avocado: Purchased and planted 1 year ago Flowering already?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
Yeah its flowering.  Normal, the mature scion grafted on the tree will flower first winter/spring.

Just let it do its thing then remove the fruit in a few moths and lwt the tree grow for a year.
Brad Spaugh

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
Re: Oro Negro Avocado: Purchased and planted 1 year ago Flowering already?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »
O man that's gonna be tough. Is it possible to keep 1 or 2 or just not worth taking the energy away from the plant (or will fruit taste bad not ripen)

GangstaRIB

• View Profile
It did end up flowering and setting quite a few small fruit. All of the fruit dropped so it looks like nature made the right decision for me. One thing I noticed is the local bees seemed to really love the ON flowers. This alone made me quite happy as I know I have local pollinators other than the wind to help me get the job done.

I can't believe how much these things bolt during and after flowering. She put on almost 2 feet since bud break. This was even with 3 main shoots. We still have another 3-4 months in the growing season here in zone 9b. I'm hoping next flowering season leaves me with a couple of fruits. It would be right there on the edge next year being a 6 ft tree with a 1.5" trunk.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers