Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Hoop house  (Read 6207 times)

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Hoop house
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »
How do you preserve your vents in heavy winds? Iíve heard that they can be blown away.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
Mark I just wanted to post a photo of this new pump and give an update on the HH.  First of all, RO is a must in the misters.  I started using well water and the plants got the mineral fallout on them and became unhappy.  Im planning to go get some battery acid and make some fake RO rainwater to give them an acid bath and reverse the damage.  Also the 1/3 gpm pump is way bigger than necessary for my setup.  So now Ive got a better feel for things Im switching to a smaller .13gpm pump.  Its the smallest pump CAT makes.  Going to only be running 6 .006" misters.  If you ever need a pump, let me know I can help you put one together a lot cheaper than aeromist or others sell them for. 

Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »
Would you mind providing a bit more information about your misting setup?  I am looking into doing the same for my 18x32' greenhouse.  I have city water which is pretty clear so I am going to try this as-is and do a RO system if it turns out to be necessary.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
Would you mind providing a bit more information about your misting setup?  I am looking into doing the same for my 18x32' greenhouse.  I have city water which is pretty clear so I am going to try this as-is and do a RO system if it turns out to be necessary.

Brian, you should get a TDS meter and check how much junk is in the water.

For your size greenhouse you could probably use the small one like this.  Its a CAT .13gpm

To be honest it would take me a LOT of time to tell you everything you need to make it work.  Theres a ton of pipe fittings and stuff you will need to source from multiple places.  I have it on a humidistat and have a relay setup, its own breaker etc.  I ordered the pump from kleen rite in PA which sources it from CAT. 

The mist line and misters and mist fittings are from aeromist.com and the pipe fittings are from mcmaster.  Relay was off amazon.

Basically you are going to need to know how to do plumbing and electrical to set it up.

I will take photos of it when I put it together later today.  Then if you want you can call me to discuss later in the week. 
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
Thanks for the info!   I know quite a bit about electric and plumbing so I expect I can make it work, but I had no idea where to start looking for parts.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »
Ok, pump is pretty much setup.  All the stuff on the output side needs to be rated for 1000psi.  It came with a vibration dampening hose and you have to add all the external pipe fittings.  I put a liquid filled anti vibration pressure gauge on it and it has low pressure quick connects on the input port and bypass and will have a 1000psi push to connect in the outlet. 

Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »
Awesome!   Thank you for the details.   I am thinking of putting a grid of fogger bars on my inlet shutters.  My water comes in via a Woodford frost-free faucet.  I am thinking I can attach a tee with one end for my watering host and other to the fogger pump, and initially trigger it from a line voltage thermostat.  I will look into specialized evaporative cooling controls, but the ones I saw when I looked briefly once before were very expensive.   

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2018, 12:43:00 PM »
Mark I just wanted to post a photo of this new pump and give an update on the HH.  First of all, RO is a must in the misters.  I started using well water and the plants got the mineral fallout on them and became unhappy.  Im planning to go get some battery acid and make some fake RO rainwater to give them an acid bath and reverse the damage.  Also the 1/3 gpm pump is way bigger than necessary for my setup.  So now Ive got a better feel for things Im switching to a smaller .13gpm pump.  Its the smallest pump CAT makes.  Going to only be running 6 .006" misters.  If you ever need a pump, let me know I can help you put one together a lot cheaper than aeromist or others sell them for. 

Brad, I would recommend that you use a simple sediment filter before feed goes to your RO, this will extend life of your RO filters and sediment filter is cheap, and will catch most just upfront.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
Yeah I have lots of filters, theres 5 stages of filtering before the water ever hits the RO membranes.  Kind of overkill but even with 5 filters in series the filters turn brown after a week in use.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »

Nice job and again thanks for sharing your info.  Yes, I'll be picking your brain fer sure.   You're right about knowing electrical and plumbing.  Most of the work is learning what fittings you'll need to hook the thing up.

I figured the well water was going to last all of about 1 day.   :D  It will toast you equipment and paint your plants white with salts.  R/O or rainwater is the only way to go.

Regards,
Mark

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
Mark and Brian search google for "4040 RO membrane"  or "4040 RO stainless housing". 

For the cost thats probably the best option for RO water.  2500GPD for under 300$

I will be going that route when the time comes to replace the current membranes.
Brad Spaugh

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 10, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Mark and Brian search google for "4040 RO membrane"  or "4040 RO stainless housing". 

For the cost thats probably the best option for RO water.  2500GPD for under 300$

I will be going that route when the time comes to replace the current membranes.

Got it, thanks!   https://www.amazon.com/Dow-Filmtec-XLE-4040-Commercial-Membrane/dp/B00D43H6W0

This is what's been keeping me busy.  Some of these bad boyz went up to 3#.  Fruit is pristine.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
They have the stainless 4040 housings for 99$ and membranes for 170$ on ebay.  2500gpd is not a joke.  Thats a lot of RO.

Mark, grapes are looking good.  We got some ruby grapes starting to ripen up here.  I have to be honest I know very little about growing grapes.  It seems like the less I do for yhem the better they perform.
Brad Spaugh

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers