Author Topic: FGM Borneo Red Jakfruit  (Read 7066 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
FGM Borneo Red Jakfruit
« on: September 07, 2012, 09:08:16 PM »
Today I was able to get my hands on a true Borneo Red Jakfruit.  This is one of THE BEST tasting of all the Jakfruits and is really delicious. Not sure who brought this Jakfruit to Florida. It is not really RED but a deep orange color. I have a few fresh seeds available if anyone is interested (see my seed market ad)     
FGM

FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: FGM Borneo Red Jakfruit
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 09:25:30 PM »
I am very disappointed in the color. I was always hoping it would be redder.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:49:07 AM »
I think that jack was brought into Florida by Chris Rollins, or somebody who went with him on tour of Borneo.
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:06:06 AM »
Chris Rollins opened one at the last tropical fruit conference and it was identical to the one I have. The color may not be red but the taste is superb! Also, very few seeds...
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:09:36 AM »
Chris Rollins opened one at the last tropical fruit conference and it was identical to the one I have. The color may not be red but the taste is superb! Also, very few seeds...
FGM
by very few seeds does that mean not as much perianths so not as much edible flesh per fruit or were there still a lot of perianths just that a lot of them did not have developed seeds within?
- Rob

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
Looks like a "trick Artocarpus" to me.  "Ha ha it's not chempedak, it's jackfruit!".

How about a jackfruit with white segments, so you can sell it as marang?
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
FGM
by very few seeds does that mean not as much perianths so not as much edible flesh per fruit or were there still a lot of perianths just that a lot of them did not have developed seeds within?

This fruit was a little under pollinated so it did not have as many carpels as normal therefore less seeds. There were much bigger fruits on the tree but they sold those before I got there. It was still delicious and left me wanting more! 

c
FloridaGreenMan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
There are a few in Malaysia with orange flesh of that color and even some that are deep red/orange and these are considered some of the best to eat.Was the rag edible and like the arils and how firm/crisp is the flesh? Could it be a J by another name.Vietnamese,malaysian,indian and thai people all claim to have the best jackfruits from what I understand crispy orange types are usually considered best by many people in these countries.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
I've seen orange colored jackfruits in Thailand also. I planted seeds from these but resulting fruits from 3 of these trees were not orange nor any good.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
That seems to be a common problem with jackfruit Oscar.My crispy orange seedling that is really a yellow sloppy still could change to what it is supposed to be according to BMc.

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »
There are a few in Malaysia with orange flesh of that color and even some that are deep red/orange and these are considered some of the best to eat.Was the rag edible and like the arils and how firm/crisp is the flesh? Could it be a J by another name.Vietnamese,malaysian,indian and thai people all claim to have the best jackfruits from what I understand crispy orange types are usually considered best by many people in these countries.

The rag was not edible and the flesh type is more on the crispy side.     
FloridaGreenMan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:31:24 PM »
It sure has the cv of the finest types but these sometimes have edible rag as well.I am yet to see a true red but I'm told they do exist.

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
It sure has the cv of the finest types but these sometimes have edible rag as well.I am yet to see a true red but I'm told they do exist.

A true red fleshed and good tasting Jak will be the holy grail of Artocarpus fruits...!     
FloridaGreenMan

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:20 AM »
Finally, now I know the true color of the Borneo Red Jakfruit. And, as mentioned, it's not red, it's a deep orange.
Now, if someone cold find out the color of the Excalibur Red Jakfruit being sold at Excalibur Nursery (Florida) and post a real picture, I would really appreciate it.
I was told by someone on the phone at Excalibur that the color was pinkish. And, I really appreciate this info.
Nevertheless, I would really like to see an undoctored picture of Excalibur Red Jakfruit fruit flesh.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:30:17 AM »
Finally, now I know the true color of the Borneo Red Jakfruit. And, as mentioned, it's not red, it's a deep orange.
Now, if someone cold find out the color of the Excalibur Red Jakfruit being sold at Excalibur Nursery (Florida) and post a real picture, I would really appreciate it.
I was told by someone on the phone at Excalibur that the color was pinkish. And, I really appreciate this info.
Nevertheless, I would really like to see an undoctored picture of Excalibur Red Jakfruit fruit flesh.
I have seen, and eaten, a number of Excalibur Reds.  It is very similar to Dang Suria/Red Morning in color (definitely more predominant red to the color than Noel's picture of the Borneo Red).  It has a definite pink/Rose/Reddish color.  I am sorry but I don't have any pictures.  It is definitely one of the sweeter, more complex flavored jacks.
- Rob

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 01:51:13 AM »
Thanks Rob for the valuable info and good news. I envy you a little. I want to see and taste the fruit just like you have. I only have room for one more jakfruit tree, so I'm trying to be picky; I have a uncropped Sweet-Fairchild and a just planted Black-Gold.
Leo
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:12:42 AM »
I've had a slightly redder jak fruit here in Malaysia, but only 2 times in 19 months.  The first was great; firm and juicy ...but the second was a bit bland and had a spongy texture that I didn't like.  In the market the orange-red one was being sold for 70% the price of a yellow one.  I think everyone found it a bit bland or didn't like the texture.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:17 AM »
I haven't  yet been able to try any of the reds....or supposed reds.  My Borneo Red tree is just getting some size.  Its in bloom right now....but, so far, all male blooms.  I am patiently awaiting the appearance of the fairer sex blooms.  OK, so I am not very patient.  I am just waiting.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »
I haven't  yet been able to try any of the reds....or supposed reds.  My Borneo Red tree is just getting some size.  Its in bloom right now....but, so far, all male blooms.  I am patiently awaiting the appearance of the fairer sex blooms.  OK, so I am not very patient.  I am just waiting.
It will obviously be a while (looks more like a "normal" jak season this year timing wise) but I will bring a red jak to you this year so you can sample it.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
Anyone bearing red jakfruit is a scholar and a gentleman in my book.  Thanks in advance.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 08:38:39 AM »
ya, Chris Rollins was the one who brought that one to USA.

I just took some photos of the tree a few weeks ago, it has about 4 fruits, sitting on cinderblocks at the base of the tree.

it also isn't a huge tree.  I'd like to taste one, so maybe fruit and spice will have them in a few weeks, months.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FloridaGreenMan

• Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »
One of my buddies has a Borneo Red that is currently LOADED with small fruits. That thing is truly AMAZING. Will post photos later on
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
tried to get as low down to the ground as possible, to get the whole tree.

Borneo red

and some other jackfruit...can you tell if it's grafted or not? ;D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:50:08 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
What is the one that Top Tropical sells? They call it "Borneo Red" Has anyone fruited one of theirs?

Mark in San Diego

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 12:24:36 AM »
tried to get as low down to the ground as possible, to get the whole tree.

Borneo red

those look to be some large ass jaks!!
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk