Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: fully soaking containers when watering  (Read 985 times)

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
Re: fully soaking containers when watering
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 01:17:06 PM »
Z willus....I wouldnt just water around the boundary.....water the whole of the top of the pot......so its evenly watered through out but i swear by putting the fert around the outside of the pot only......no good directly over the rootball......once roots start going mushy/brown and stale.......Its a hard road to recovery.........If you prune the roots back.......then you should prune the top back a bit as well and put in a smaller pot....pot should be 2-4 inches bigger than the rootball.......The plant will have less leaves to transpire and less rootball to suck things up......
              If you go down that root......I wouldnt be feeding it all ...until recovery is well under way and only then very very lightly.
I am waiting for my reed to recover and the mix has just started to dry out a bit now........this will be a slow process because the roots have remained wet for too long and are not active.......Dont try to push the tree....dont expose it to the heat of the day either.....it wont cope........give it morning sun........preferably keep it elevated so air can go underneath and no mulch to help it aerate.......no food.......you are going to have to leave it to recover in its own good time i reckon.....Good luck.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 04:14:41 PM »
Recently I've been reading advice that when a container tree has a couple inches of the root ball cut and then the tree being put back into the same container, that trimming back the foliage is not necessary.  Also when I fertilize a tree I dissolve the fertilizer  and pure it over the entire surface of the root ball, so that the entire root ball is evenly whetted..

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »
I've finished amending the other five RBII encased Avocado trees with 1/2 Decomposed Granite from the local landscape supply.  I wonder about the relative water retention capabilities of this DG vs. other elements in my mix, such as Perlite, which I assume is much lower, Forest Humus, and Peat/Coco-hulls, which I assume are have higher water retention qualities.  Even after amending the soil with semi-moist DG (recent freak rain), I read nearly full "wet" on my two cheapo Soil moisture meters in all the pots.  I've left the mulch off, and I'll rough up the surface to try and encourage drying out and aeration.  I've never had so much to do about trying to keep soil dryer, it's always been the reverse.  It all makes me question that something else most basic must be wrong here.

On six of the seven trees, there was a clear ring of roots (mostly dead) at the old pot boundary.  I wonder if these were blocking off new root growth?  Normally when planting out, I will rip through these root spin-out to encourage new growth, but with these avocado trees, I went to great lengths actually cutting them out of their pots in place to try and not disturb the roots.  When amending the soil this time, I shredded all those knotty, dead roots -- took off the baby gloves.  I hope the trees can wake up, recover, and start to push out some vegetation.

If anyone else on the forum reading this has experienced anything similar with less than ideal/healthy 5G Avocado trees from the nursery at transplant, I'd love to hear your story and how it ended.
Thanks.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
I always use my fingers and massage the roots on 5gal avocados when transplanting.  Just rough them up a bit and loosen them and break them a little.  If the tree was good size and root bound, you can hold the tree trunk up in one hand and tap down on the pot with the other and the pot will fall right off.  Then massage and plop in place.  Avocados are pretty tough plants, they dont need to be babied really.  You can let the containers get pretty dry before rewatering.
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
I need a "scientific" or analytical way to assess the situation. 
If you want a real idea about soil moisture they make instruments to measure that.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
After a person has grown container plants for a while they can easily tell how much water remains in the medium by simply lifting the container.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »
Unless the container weighs 200+lb dry.  Honestly, I don't think I have any misapprehensions about how wet the soil is in these containers.  There's just something off with the plants.  I hope they can recover to the pointer where the problem becomes how to supply enough water to meet their needs instead of how to keep the soil dry enough that the already dead and rotting roots don't die back more.  I"m really eager to see how these RootBuilderII containers do in a series of scenarios.  I don't think they're to blame for any of the problems I"ve been having with these young avocado trees.  I now have:
- 5 Avocados in 5 panel RBII containers with double stacked weed barrier beneath
- 2 Avocados in 6 panel RBII containers with their bottom removed on top of 3' deep raised bed. 
- 2 Avocados in 4 panel RBII containers with a plastic kiddy pool for a bottom
- 1 "Wonderful" Pomegranate that I got from Costco in a 5 panel RBII container

All containers are now a mix of 1/2 DG and 1/2 nearly equal parts: Peat/Cocohulls, Perlite, Forest Hummus -- with some organics like homemade worm-castings.

Having deconstruct-able  containers has come in really handy, and I've already expanded one container from 4 to 5 when I realized the Pomegranate wasn't going to fit in a 4-panel.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers