Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Kratom  (Read 711 times)

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
Kratom
« on: June 22, 2018, 11:58:31 PM »
I know it’s not a fruiting plant, but I know many of us grow more than just tropical fruit. Curious if anyone grows this and if so what varieties? I’m interested in a trade or outright purchase. Looking for someone stateside, preferably Florida.

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
Re: Kratom
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:38 AM »
Hi Kalan I have 2 friends who grow kratom the red variety. One friend lives in a dryer area and his tree goes deciduous and another in a wetter area has a tree that keeps it leaves year round. I have tried to propagate it and it is very difficult from cuttings you are lucky to get 1 in 50 and it never seems to set seed on its own. It flowers regularly though and by using a feather to move the pollen around we got about 3 fruit to set. Be careful buying "seed" for it as I have seen people selling the left overs of the flower thinking it is seed but the actual seed is quite big (about the size of 4 grains of rice stuck together).

It is a great tree though with lots of uses and very ornamental as well. Good luck getting a plant stateside and if you pay a bit for one it is worth it due to the difficulty in propagating it.

MangoCountry

• Stuart,Florida east of route 1 zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:32:11 AM »
I'm growing a tree I ordered from mytreesoflife.com  online a few months ago from Arizona. It is an Indonesian variety. It is doing very well. If you want to come take some cuttings youre more than welcome.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
You guys are doing something wrong if getting 1 in 50 clones to root. 

I put 7 cuttings in small pots in a humidity dome under artificial light yesterday.  Several people have asked for rooted cuttings from me.  I will have them available in a few weeks.
Brad Spaugh

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »
From what ive researched the ph of the water is very important. Lower than 7 is better

luketrollope

• Australia QLD Julatten 16.4 degrees south 455 meters elevation
    • View Profile
    • Helga's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
You guys are doing something wrong if getting 1 in 50 clones to root. 

I put 7 cuttings in small pots in a humidity dome under artificial light yesterday.  Several people have asked for rooted cuttings from me.  I will have them available in a few weeks.

Hi amigo wait a bit and then tell me how you go. The cuttings seem to do fine for ages months even then slowly die off. Soft wood cuttings are the worst best is a hard wood cutting with no leaves about 12 cm long 3 cm thick. Have you struck them before?

Nice looking tree Mangocountry!

MangoCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:31:37 PM »
Thanks! Ive only had it for a few months. After I repotted it and fertilized it it took off. It was originally in a solo cup and only a few inches tall. I'm trying to decide if I should put it in the ground or not. Id like to get some more varieties they have a Malaysian which is tough to find.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:42:16 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I placed an order with Brad. Still good to hear anyone’s experiences with the growing, propagating, harvesting if they’d care to comment here.
Keith

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 03:32:47 PM »
Just an update, it looks like 4 of the 7 cuttings have rooted.  They will still need a couple weeks to let the roots fill out and gain some strength.

Im going to make more cuttings also but will have some ready to ship towards the end of this month and more next month. 

I have several strains, and will start taking cuttings from all of them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:34:22 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 11:43:56 PM »
Just an update, it looks like 4 of the 7 cuttings have rooted.  They will still need a couple weeks to let the roots fill out and gain some strength.

Im going to make more cuttings also but will have some ready to ship towards the end of this month and more next month. 

I have several strains, and will start taking cuttings from all of them.
Great, I'm interesting in buying some..
El verde es vida!

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:50:14 PM »
I'm interested in cheap, viable clones, for a charitable cause.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:06:45 PM by Ansarac »

Fuman_Chew

• United States/ Tampa, Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »
X
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:46:37 PM by Fuman_Chew »

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers