Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection  (Read 17677 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
I harvested the first plant (out of 5, 4 to go) of Dioscorea esculenta, which I had received from Chandramohan. The verdict... It was great! Tender, quick to cook, mild and starchy. The skin is thin, but inedible and bitter (I tried it); if you cook the tiny ones in the skin, they're easier to pop out with your fingers than if you tried to peel them. Yields were small no fertilizer, infrequent watering, 2 gallon pots. I expect yields to be much better when given actual decent care.

I ate the first plant's worth of tubers. From the remainder, I'll save some seed tubers for myself and for anyone else interested. The other plants haven't died back yet, but when they do, I'll be leaving them in the ground until it's time to plant or ship (and shipped in media, as I received them). I had left this first batch of tubers exposed for a few days, and they turned a bit ugly outside though they were still nice and tasty inside.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers