Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection  (Read 4402 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
What's a mountain yam? scientific name?
I think it's a common name that could represent 1 or more species. Japanese call their long white yam yamaimo (yama=mountain, imo=yam). I'm not sure if other cultures use the same common name for their native yam as well.

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Re: The Yam Checklist: Starting a Backyard Dioscorea Germplasm Collection
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
We might be able to identify the mountain yam from pictures, but that common name is very generic, so if it turns out to have an alternative, we should use it.

Iím going to have to try again with a few of them next year. My pentaphylla and pseudo-tomentosa died off, the hamiltonii failed to sprout, and I didnít reach the business in time to acquire the japonica bulbils. On the bright side, the Ube, the yellow cayennensis and the polystachya are doing just fine. Whatís more, the crop on the Indian bulbifera is just starting to take off; more on that in its own thread.

My African bulbiferaís arrived sprouted and in excellent condition. I buried them in a small pot for the moment; tomorrow Iíll get another tub ready and place it by the new trellis.

Hereís mine:

Edit: I forgot to mention: the trifida doesnít play well with others. All the other species are competing for space and growing vigorously (though Iím sure yields will suffer). Meanwhile, the trifidas are failing to put on extensive vine growth, and I donít expect a good harvest. For anyone growing trifidas out there, give them their space, donít crowd them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:47:53 PM by Caesar »

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers