Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal  (Read 1243 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Re: Brutal heatwave 7/06/18 in Socal
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
The Egyptian agriculture department advises to spray potassium Silicate and Amino Acids to reduce the heat damage. Unfortunately i did not find potassium Silicate in here but, I have a silicone based surfactant which should be good source of silica too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:04:10 PM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
I have lost 90% of all mango fruits. last year we had bad heat wave that took out over 75% of all cherimoyas. Hope its over for the year.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »
I have lost 90% of all mango fruits. last year we had bad heat wave that took out over 75% of all cherimoyas. Hope its over for the year.

Sadly, similar reports amongst all our friends.  The damage took 3 days to fully assess/realize.
Warren

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 01:29:15 AM »

Well looking at the lemon zest, it did take more damage to the new growth than I thought. But it still seems like it takes the heat much better than my sweet tart, and definitely Coconut Cream. Maybe about the same as Keitt and "manilla" mango. The Coconut Cream may be delicious but it isn't particularly tough. Doesn't seem to deal with the cold or extreme heat well.

I agree. My lemon zest flushed through the heat with no negative effects. You can see the flush with no spray on it. Thee are even new flushes today. Still going.

Something is having a negative effect on that LZ as it looks sickly...

Itís been in a pot for over a year and came through 1-2 minor frosts this year and is on turpentine rootstock. The fact that itís got some new growth is encouraging to me now that itís been in the ground for almost 2 months. No flowers in it though. Fruit punch has some fruit on it not affected by heat wave. Ambrosia growing well and has several flowers some have set fruit. I have a 20222 that has several mangoes but minimal vegetative growth or leaves after a large branch died off 3 months ago. Iím not sure if itís worth keeping that tree around or replacing it. Mallika lost some frutlets but is flowering again. Kesar holding onto small fruit but has very few leaves on it. Itís not a vigorous grower for me over here 2 seasons in a row now.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
I was out of town for the heat wave so I couldn't adjust my watering or protect any plants.  I was told it reached almost 110 in Long Beach.  Amazingly only a couple plants got sun burned.  A couple of my blackberry plants wilted.  My Grumichama has burned leaves all over it and dropped a lot of fruit.  My two foot Sharwil Avocado also got burned badly.  A couple of my mangos got burned but nothing too bad.  And my Lemon Zest keeps dropping almost all its fruit.  They split and then drop off the tree but I guess that is for another post.

Bill

camerony

• Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 10:28:02 AM »
I was out of town for the heat wave so I couldn't adjust my watering or protect any plants.  I was told it reached almost 110 in Long Beach.  Amazingly only a couple plants got sun burned.  A couple of my blackberry plants wilted.  My Grumichama has burned leaves all over it and dropped a lot of fruit.  My two foot Sharwil Avocado also got burned badly.  A couple of my mangos got burned but nothing too bad.  And my Lemon Zest keeps dropping almost all its fruit.  They split and then drop off the tree but I guess that is for another post.

Bill

We recently replaced our "dumb" sprinkler controller with a Rachio 3.  It's pretty awesome being able to adjust the watering schedule or do manual runs from anywhere.  It also uses local weather data to automatically adjust the schedule as well.  I would highly recommend looking into one, if you travel often.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »

Bill

My LZ on Florida Turpentine rootstock did that for the first several years. After spraying it with a systemic Fungicide, it appears to be producing what appears to be normal Mangos without the cracking.

The temperatures have been very warm ever since the heat wave began and my plants are growing like crazy.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »

Bill

We recently replaced our "dumb" sprinkler controller with a Rachio 3.  It's pretty awesome being able to adjust the watering schedule or do manual runs from anywhere.  It also uses local weather data to automatically adjust the schedule as well.  I would highly recommend looking into one, if you travel often.

I have rachio and yes it is awesome. by the time I realized we hit 117 it was too late. now I have on demand heat wave schedule turned on,.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:52 PM »
Just checked on some small guava trees I had planted in a spot that hit 116 F two days in a row -- not only was there no damage, but they were green and happy.  (Meanwhile argan trees, which supposedly can handle desert heat, were scorched.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 10:16:38 PM by barath »

Goyo626

• USA, CA, West Covina, SZ20/21 USDA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
The worst sun damage ive seen on guava is to the fruit on the exposed side and some minor damage to leaves. The seem to be be very resilient trees.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2018, 11:27:45 PM »
Guava is drought tolerant. Any drought tolerant tree fare better in heat waves.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Today at 05:02:03 PM »
We hit about 110 here in norcal. I lost some seedlings that were too close to my window :( Also had some leave damage on my 4 in 1 cherry, and avocados trees and mangos. poor avocados are just trying to recover from too much water, now they're getting fried!
-Kris

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers