Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: in-ground in-greenhouse  (Read 77 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
in-ground in-greenhouse
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:27:29 PM »
Today I planted my first tree directly into the dirt floor of my greenhouse.  This is a variegated minneola tangelo from Harris Citrus.  I chose this one because I have two of them the same size, and I believe they are grafted onto flying dragon rootstock.   Previously it was in a small rootmaker-roll pot.   I sprayed the roots with a hose to get off most of the container soil and after planting backfilled with only the same soil I dug from the hole, no amendments.  If this tree does well I will plant most of my trees into the dirt.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: in-ground in-greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 08:59:17 PM »
Hey, Brian , I put two Meyer lemon trees, a Bearss lime and a Clementine tree in my greenhouse. They got bigger than I thought. Only the clementine is on FD. The Meyers have over a hundred lemons each right now and have only been in the ground a little over 3 years.

TFN

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
An excellent problem to have!  I just got some popsicle maker molds.  I'm going to try making popsicles from excess citrus juice

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 10:30:34 PM »
I have an in ground Cara Cara grafted on Flying Dragon growing inside my greenhouse.  I don't 100 percent remember, but I think I purchased it from Mr. Texas. It been growing in the greenhouse 10 years..  It is now 11-feet tall and 11-ft wide. It has not touched the roof yet, but is within inches. It has done exceptional.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
Brian, that sounds like an excellent idea. I just froze juice in ice trays and dumped them in ziplock bags and stored in freezer. I like your idea better. Lemonade popsicle in the summertime..YUM.

TFN

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers