Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Pouteria lucuma  (Read 25997 times)

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Pouteria lucuma
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
My hand luggage was searched three times before I boarded a plane in Manaus (Amazon region).
As Oscar mentioned, we get affected by the "greedy" behavior of the people in charge of these entities. All they want is to make money...money.....money!  I believe that India had to fight to keep "neem", and Brasil also had to fight to keep "aa".... That's terrible!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »
Luis, are you growing lucuma?
Now i have!!! I just buy a lucuma de seda "Molina 4" tree!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and a canistel tree too!!!  ;)

Luis, vai dar certo! Lucuma producing heavy loads of fruit in Oliveira da Azemis(terra da Fanny, para voc ver!  ;D )...so lucuma will grow well by you.  ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
Luis, are you growing lucuma?
Now i have!!! I just buy a lucuma de seda "Molina 4" tree!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D and a canistel tree too!!!  ;)

Luis, vai dar certo! Lucuma producing heavy loads of fruit in Oliveira da Azemis(terra da Fanny, para voc ver!  ;D )...so lucuma will grow well by you.  ;)
Thank God! It's a great tree!  ;D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2014, 10:49:04 PM »
Interesting!
http://www.cbd.int/abs/side-events/icnp2/twn-icnp2-no4-Lucuma-Peru.pdf

This type of move by a corporation or university wanting to own rights to a fruit, in this case lucuma, happens very often. And that is why countries have clamped down on what they call biopiracy. Similar thing happened in Brazil, with a Japanese company wanting to trademark cupuacu fruit. Also in Malaysia corporations went in to "study" and then use forest products as patented ingredients in pharmaceuticals. Now both Brazil and Malaysia have some of the strictest rules about removing any plant products from their countries. What these corporations do has a very negative side effects on us gardeners and seed savers.

Those country's have the full right to sell the plants to who-ever they like. They don't care at all for slandering seedsellers from the USA who think they rule the fruitmarket. In fact they also want the world to see their fruits  grown to full size, not the midgets that are produced on Hawaii.

People with connections will get those seeds anyway.

Have a nice day.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2015, 07:34:24 PM »
Great , I hope my tree will produce one day , not holding my breath...maybe too hot here...

Hey Luc,

u know there's a few varieties..and one that is supposed to be better for the lowlands....I wonder what type u have??

I want the one that's for the low lands...and it was sacred because of the gold color of the skin.

here is a quote from my post about this earlier on the forum

If you can, locate the sacred lucuma, that grows in the low lands...the incas worship gold, and this lucuma has a gold color...it can be grown at lower elevations, and should be suitable for FL.

I think its called Lucuma de seda.
 here is a link...get me some seeds or scions now!

good luck...i don't think lucuma seeds are good to pass through your system! LOL better get permits.
http://www.ocfruit.com/files/LUCUMA.htm

Adam, did you ever find the lowland variety?

What are your thoughts on P. multiflora?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
Pouteria lucuma how nay years into production?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavk, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
So, a friend from Peru just told me that I'm not allowed to leave lucuma off my cultivation list.  ;)  I've been finding mixed info online about lucuma cultivation - specifically about humidity.  Does it require high humidity or not?  Or is there a difference between highland/lowland versions and/or moist/dry varieties?
J, g er a rkta surnar plntur slandi. Nei, g er ekki klikku. Jja, kannski...

Kada

• Taiwan
    • View Profile
    • Kada's Garden
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2018, 09:52:30 PM »
Pouteria lucuma how nay years into production?

Here in Taiwan probably 3-4 years, its a pretty easy thing to grow here.  My trees are left abandoned at my old farm covered in morning glory so no longer produce as far as i know haha.  but they are kind of a leave it and grow like mango as far as i have seen.  canistel the same.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2018, 01:30:15 AM »

is there a difference between highland/lowland versions and/or moist/dry varieties?
[/quote]  Dry types are for processing. Moist can be eaten as dessert fruit. Grows and produces well in warm wet humid subtropics. Pest free after decades  BUT is intolerant of shade
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2018, 07:39:27 AM »
Ive got seedlings of molina, montalban, an unnamed moist type as well as seedlings of dry types, not sure if any are yellow skinned though.

Californiatropicals

• Vallejo, Ca Zone 9B-10A (CA sunset zone 17)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2020, 11:39:20 PM »
Tim kindly gave me a couple of the seeds from the original post, which I planted. Both grew well and just recently I noticed a fruit set on one!

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2020, 05:17:11 AM »
Tim kindly gave me a couple of the seeds from the original post, which I planted. Both grew well and just recently I noticed a fruit set on one!

Wow that is amazing! So it fruits only in 5-6 years from seed? its great.

Question;
I have 2 lucuma plants in pots around 5ft tall. I am planing to plant them in the first days of March. Do you have any recommendations regarding the location? Full sun (  max summer temps 104F maybe only for one week ) or semi shade (in a small forest i have) with full sun only for 6-7 hours each day? Also this winter we had min temp 29F and night temps near 32F for 10 days in a row. Could it suceed?
Thanks!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2020, 12:32:36 AM »
Heya Daniel! Any ideas on the mini miracle of this fruit set and how it may have been pollinated?

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2020, 04:47:32 AM »

Wow that is amazing! So it fruits only in 5-6 years from seed? its great.

Question;
I have 2 lucuma plants in pots around 5ft tall. I am planing to plant them in the first days of March. Do you have any recommendations regarding the location? Full sun (  max summer temps 104F maybe only for one week ) or semi shade (in a small forest i have) with full sun only for 6-7 hours each day? Also this winter we had min temp 29F and night temps near 32F for 10 days in a row. Could it suceed?
Thanks!

Hey there! It should do okay in part shade. Mine are partially shaded and they don't seem to kind the cold much! It would definitely be worth planting in ground!

Californiatropicals

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2020, 04:52:31 AM »
Heya Daniel! Any ideas on the mini miracle of this fruit set and how it may have been pollinated?

Heyo Jonah!

So this is the only one I've seen so far (but I haven't taken a real thorough look yet)  this is gonna sound weird but I had a "premenision" there was going to be a fruit, I went and looked and saw this!

As far as pollination, I tried  squeezing the flowers as recommended for pouteria  but that didn't work yet. This one was high up on the plant where I couldn't reach so it must have been pollinated some other way!

Also the Lisa atemoya I got from youbis fruiting this year. Can't wait to try it!

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
Lucuma definitely prefer full sun to fruit
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Hylo

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2020, 06:48:14 AM »
Damn......mine is growing in half shade  :-\
4ft high...do you reckon I should move it?

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers