Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: When to harvest Wurtz Avocado in FL?  (Read 328 times)

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
When to harvest Wurtz Avocado in FL?
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »
I read conflicting information. One site say between July to Sept, another site list Jan - March. I picked one off my tree last Sunday and it has become rubbery now instead of soft. The avocado I picked was 6oz. Is there any sign to look for to gauge if the avocado is ready to pick?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: When to harvest Wurtz Avocado in FL?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »
In Florida, mid/late October through November.  They will be best in middle to late November.  You will notice the shine on the skin will begin to dull a little.
- Rob

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks Rob! I will leave the remaining avocado on the tree until November. Finger cross, no hurricane this year to knock any fruit off the tree!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL 33441 Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
I picked one approximately October 24, and then another October 30.  The first one I brought to my sister in Richmond, VA.  It took about two weeks to ripen, but it didn't become entirely soft, per her report.  The second one took eight days to ripen, and it shriveled as it ripened.  Judging from the texture (just slightly rubbery and watery) and the flavor (lacking oil), I would judge it to be not fully ripe.  The flavor resembles Lula without the sweet component.  My conclusion is that this is a late November to December avocado in my location, and I'll wait until the end of the month before I start to pick the other three.  I didn't wait for the skin to dull a little as Rob recommended.  I'll watch for that.  (This variety has a very thick skin!)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:16:38 PM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:11:55 PM »
I picked one approximately October 24, and then another October 30.  The first one I brought to my sister in Richmond, VA.  It took about two weeks to ripen, but it didn't become entirely soft, per her report.  The second one took eight days to ripen, and it shriveled as it ripened.  Judging from the texture (somewhat rubbery and watery) and the flavor (lacking oil), I would judge it to be not fully ripe.  The flavor resembles Lula without the sweet component.  My conclusion is that this is a late November to December avocado in my location, and I'll wait until the end of the month before I start to pick the other three.  I didn't wait until the skin lost its shine as Rob recommended.

Sounds like it an hang a lot loger than until next month.
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
Sounds like it can hang a lot longer than until next month.
If the tree bears heavily in future years, I'll definitely strive for an extended harvesting period.  Late November to January definitely would be great.
John

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
how long does a young Wurtz avocados tree take bare fruit? I planted a crafted tree this summer and am wondering how long would I have to wait. Also, when would I need to fertilize it.  I am in Ft Lauderdale
Thank you for your help

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
how long does a young Wurtz avocados tree take bare fruit? I planted a crafted tree this summer and am wondering how long would I have to wait. Also, when would I need to fertilize it.  I am in Ft Lauderdale
Thank you for your help
This a very precocious variety, setting fruit the second year in the ground.  You can fertilize a young tree every four months or so.  Just don't give it too much.  Keep it watered, as long as your soil drains well.  Don't over-water and don't over-fertilize.
John

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Thank you for your help
This a very precocious variety, setting fruit the second year in the ground.  You can fertilize a young tree every four months or so.  Just don't give it too much.  Keep it watered, as long as your soil drains well.  Don't over-water and don't over-fertilize.

thank you John.. I will start fertilizing it now.. I use fresh worm castings

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »
Thank you for your help

Are there good references for other precocious varieties? I had not heard there was much difference among types until your post.

And I have seen it come up quite a few times now. An avocado may lists its maturation period over two or even 4 months. Does that mean they all actually ripen some two week period within those months or that theyíll hang on the tree and be good to pick for a good while? Iím hoping itís the latter, and that the fruit are good but maybe not the best for their whole picking period.

Thanks

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 02:34:57 PM »
Most avocado varieties have an extended period over which they can be picked.  At the start of the period they have sufficient oil content to be palatable, but as they remain on the tree, the oil content and flavor improve.  This is absolutely the case in South Florida.
John

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers