Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Maypops (in zone 6a/5)?  (Read 123 times)

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
Maypops (in zone 6a/5)?
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:07 PM »
I have heard about Maypops(Passiflora incarnata) and am interested in growing it. Looking up information about it on Wikipedia, it says the Maypop main zones are 7-11. However, some users on various forums and other websites claim that Maypops have/can survive in zone 5. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone provide clarity?   

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Maypops (in zone 6a/5)?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 03:06:34 AM »
I dont have maypop ,but have heard that in colder climates it just dyes to the ground each year, and sprouts from the roots in spring ...I think in zone 5 ,u could just take the top off in fall, since it would die anyway , and mulch the roots with leaves to keep them warm .

micawi

• USA, Missouri, St. Louis, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
everything I have read is they are zone 5 for cold hardiest of the Passiflora.  It can even be grown in Missouri.  If you decide to grow them please keep us posted.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »
There's a long thread here about Maypops.
But i don't know that it focuses much, if any, on cold hardiness.
I have been growing them for years but to be honest i don't know much about their range. They grow wild here (it's the State Wildflower) so i have never had to think about it  ;D

Good luck!
They are worth growing for the fruit for sure. Just be sure you do not pick the fruit off the vines. Let the fruits fall on their own, and they will be ready to eat either immediately or up to about 2 days later (in my opinion they begin to get funky after that, at room temp).

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
I dont have maypop ,but have heard that in colder climates it just dyes to the ground each year, and sprouts from the roots in spring ...I think in zone 5 ,u could just take the top off in fall, since it would die anyway , and mulch the roots with leaves to keep them warm .

P. incarnata is basically a deciduous perennial in its native habitat. It's normal for it to die back completely.
In the right climate, it has plenty of time to flower and ripen fruit before going dormant. Some hybrids have difficulty ripening fruit in my climate, however.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers