Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: How to prevent ants going up your trees  (Read 517 times)

laidbackdood

• Perth.Western Australia.
    • View Profile
How to prevent ants going up your trees
« on: September 01, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »
Its the start of spring in Western Australia  and all the bugs start thinking about it.....ants climb up your trees and farm aphids with them.....which suck the sap from all that fresh new growth....This is a non toxic way of keeping those ants out of your trees....
Tools you will need= masking tape and vaseline.
Wind the tape from the top to bottom ...sticking it to the trunk....at the bottom...do a half twist and go back up to where you started.....finish it off........then smear vaseline along its length.....ants will not go beyond....i use longer because it also acts to protect the trunk from the harsh sun but shorter is ok as well.....works a treat....now i await the leafminer !

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: How to prevent ants going up your trees
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 04:21:44 PM »
Thanks.  How log does the Vaseline stay sticky?

loneroc1

• Lone Rock Wisconsin USA USDA Zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Howdy, (or g'day if you prefer). Instead of using tape how about painting the trunk? At least a ring around it.  Then apply Vaseline or tangle foot without damaging the trunk? Anyone try it that way?

In my greenhouse, ants move around soft brown scale and to a lesser extent aphids.  I'd have to cover the grease in any case because I don't want my lizards getting stuck.  Steve H

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
I had done something similar with Tanglefoot.  It worked, but it was an awful sticky mess.  I found regular borax traps combined with trying to eliminate the scale directly was more effective.  Using petroleum jelly instead of tanglefoot sounds more manageable, and I'd be willing to try it. 

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
There is a guy in eastern australia who paints the whole trunk white on potted citrus to protect them from sunburn.....just water based exterior white.....looks funny though.....they stay sticky for ages but it does go a bit ugly(dark after a while) but it does the job.......we get small ants and bull ants as well.....they bloody hurt.....but my mate gets infested with the ants....they live in the rootball and are all over his trees.

laidbackdood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »
There is a guy in eastern australia who paints the whole trunk white on potted citrus to protect them from sunburn.....just water based exterior white.....looks funny though.....they stay sticky for ages but it does go a bit ugly(dark after a while) but it does the job.......we get small ants and bull ants as well.....they bloody hurt.....but my mate gets infested with the ants....they live in the rootball and are all over his trees.....but leafminer are the biggest prob over here........but i have managed to get very fast new growth on a few of my trees.....that close up of the new growth(other post of my trees) went from bud to full leaf in about 3 weeks !....leaves are clean and nearly full size with no sign of leafminer yet because its still cold....6C at night and 19C days but things will warm up soon and when they do......the miner will come out.....so i will be spraying very soon with neem oil.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers