Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) Cold Tolerance  (Read 479 times)

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) Cold Tolerance
« on: September 10, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »
A three year old cutting of kratom has been with me. I planted it in the ground about 6 months ago and she really hasn't seemed to take a strong hold. Wondering if anyone has experience with how cold tolerant this beauties are? Located 11 miles inland in palm beach county zone 10 A.

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) Cold Tolerance
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
I would say they are not frost tolerant, I planted a couple up here in North Central Florida (zone 8-9ish) and they froze to the ground with temps in the upper 20's. One of them has resprouted from the roots. Down in palm beach they should be o.k., they do like lots of water apparently, so plant them near a source of water or somewhere that is regularly irrigated.

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 02:35:40 PM »
I have noticed that they are thirsty plants aswell. I planted it in a very shaded and dense undergrowth.  Put down 2 inches of mulch. I am impressed that it grew back from the roots!

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
I've been growing Kratom for several years. Now that I'm in North FL I keep mine potted. They really don't like temps below 50F but definitely are hurt by near freezing or lower temps. In my previous yard I had two in the ground. One still is there now at 15'+ tall. One was dug out but later died from shock during the following cold season in its pot. Not enough recovery time. Others I had potted narrowly survived but we had repeated nights in the mid 20s and one night at 19. Protection was given to the best of my ability via sheets, greenhouse and strung with Christmas lights. I won't risk planting my three left in the ground yet. Once I get a very dense foresty like garden going I may try one to see what happens. As long as it come back that'd be fantastic. Cool season approaches again so hopefully I can get them through again.

Where you are should be no problem. I was just below Tampa bay. You'll have a big tree in a few short years.
Trying to grow it all!

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers