Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Cushiony Cotton scale  (Read 1460 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Cushiony Cotton scale
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:54:40 PM »
Hello,
What's the best removal method for cushiony cotton scale?
I got rid of alot from my naval orange in the spring with rubbing alcohal and removing some severely infected areas, now I have some on my pomello tree.
I prefer to not use chemicals but at this point I'll do whatever works...

-Kris

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Cushiony Cotton scale
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:43:43 PM »
Vedalia beetles have been controlling cottony cushion sale for more than 100 years in California.  They are extremely effective because they find small scale colonies quickly, reproduce rapidly, and are specific to cottony cushion scale.  Their control of cottony cushion scale is superior to the standard organophosphate and carbamate insecticide treatments, because vedalia more completely control the cottony cushion scale populations, and because they do not disrupt natural enemies needed for control of other pests.  The beetle is so effective that even small numbers (25 beetles/ac) will control cottony cushion scale populations in just 6 weeks. Soft scales, such as cottony cushion proliferate in shady, cool humid, unpruned tree interiors, whereas an airy canopy provides a habitat more conductive to citrus thrips.  You must control the scale while the weather is still cool, as hot summer temperatures rapidly kills the vedalia beetle.  About 40+- percent of the cotton cushion population have been found to now be immune to insecticides.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:35:24 PM by Millet »

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:57:49 PM »
Can these beetles be purchased?
I believe I had a bunch of them in the spring in my trees, maybe they helped me control it last time but I don't see any currently...
-Kris

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
Dormant oil

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:50:56 PM »
Vedalia beetle (ladybird beetle) can be purchased from places. Look up on the Internet under Vedalia, or Ladybird beetle.   Insecticides, or as Mr. Texas writes, Dormant oil, can be used but with difficulty of control. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:17:45 PM by Millet »

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
Nurseries here sell ladybugs, but I've never seen the vedalia beetle. They are missing the hair the vedalia has on their backs. These are different, yes?
-Kris

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
Yes there are 100s of Ladybug varieties.   The Vedalia was imported from Australia about 100 years ago to eliminate major Cotton Cushion scale California infestations.   California growers rely on the beetle for control, so there must be sellers of these insects.  Contact the county agent of your county and ask them for a supplier.  If you can't  find a supply you will have to use insecticides.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:45:09 PM »
I have been battling the same CCS infestation for years.   I can control them but I cannot seem to eliminate them.   If I spray it kills them but more come back within a couple weeks.  My trees are in a greenhouse and CCS doesnít live in this area so itís not a reinfestation from outside.  I have tried ladybugs three or four times and they did not help at all.  The ladybugs sold online are NOT the famous vedalia beetles and do not seem to eat the scale.  I have looked extensively for a mail order source of vedalia beetles and found none.  If anybody knows one I would love to know.

The best spray I have found is soapy water.  I am using ďdr bronners pure unscented castile soapĒ as it has no detergents.  I tried dormant oil (Bonide) also but I believe I mixed it way too strongly as it completely defoliated my guava and injured some other trees.  I have never had any issues with soap.  This was when I was messing with hose-end sprayers.  Iíve given up on hose end sprayers after trying three types and even customizing them.  They just donít seem to work.

Spraying is such a chore for me that I am currently building a custom sprayer to make spraying the underside of leaves easier.

I would gladly use any number of chemicals to eradicate this infestation.  I am okay if it means not eating any fruit for some time.  If anybody has suggestions Iíd love to hear them.  What pesticides are recommended for CCS? 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:50:19 PM by brian »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 08:29:22 PM »
I have been battling the same CCS infestation for years.   I can control them but I cannot seem to eliminate them.   If I spray it kills them but more come back within a couple weeks.  My trees are in a greenhouse and CCS doesnít live in this area so itís not a reinfestation from outside.  I have tried ladybugs three or four times and they did not help at all.  The ladybugs sold online are NOT the famous vedalia beetles and do not seem to eat the scale.  I have looked extensively for a mail order source of vedalia beetles and found none.  If anybody knows one I would love to know.

The best spray I have found is soapy water.  I am using ďdr bronners pure unscented castile soapĒ as it has no detergents.  I tried dormant oil (Bonide) also but I believe I mixed it way too strongly as it completely defoliated my guava and injured some other trees.  I have never had any issues with soap.  This was when I was messing with hose-end sprayers.  Iíve given up on hose end sprayers after trying three types and even customizing them.  They just donít seem to work.

Spraying is such a chore for me that I am currently building a custom sprayer to make spraying the underside of leaves easier.

I would gladly use any number of chemicals to eradicate this infestation.  I am okay if it means not eating any fruit for some time.  If anybody has suggestions Iíd love to hear them.  What pesticides are recommended for CCS?

A couple strong doses of imidacloprid will probably get rid of them.  They have 22% stuff on amazon.  A spoonful of that mixed in several waterings will probably take care of any insects for a year.   Bayer sells a "fruit and nut systemic" but its watered down .2% and you are supposed to dilute it even more.  The 22% stuff is the nuclear option.

Also with citrus, fertilizers with nitrogen really attract bugs with the new growth.  Once my citrus trees are the size I want, I stop using nitrogen on them.  It just causes excessive leaf flush and insect infestation.
Brad Spaugh

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Thank you.  I am going to order this right now.  Lately I feel like Iím cultivating scale instead of fruit.

EDIT - the top google result for imidicloprid cottony cushion scale specifically says it doesnít work on CCS. I think this is why I never tried it.  I canít find any chemical control listed for CCS.  Everything just says use smothering sprays (which do not eradicate) and vedalia beetles (which arenít available)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:55:11 PM by brian »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 08:49:51 PM »
I have the cotton scale on a couple citrus trees.  One is really bad.  Its only on the trees I fertilize.  Citrus really suffer a lot from this bug and leaf miner and even aphids.  If the trees are large just use a fert with way less nitrogen.  Or go organic. 

The amazon stuff is 21.4 dominion 2L

One more thing, this systemic needs to be absorbed into the tree and takes time.  It also absorbs faster in the hot season when the tree is using more water.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:52:44 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
The University of California at Riverside writes in their literature that the standard pesticide treatment against cottony cushion scale has been organophosphates and carbamate  insecticides. They also go on to write, that all insecticide treatments are much less successful than Vedalia beetles.    I'm surprised the bettle is so very difficult to purchase.  Here in Colorado, luckily we do not have cottony cushion scale. In California where Zephian lives, and writes this post, cotton cushion scale infest citrus during the months of January through May, and then again from October, November and December. Brian whatever you do to control your infestation, please follow up on this post with the outcome.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:19:54 PM by Millet »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 10:51:57 PM »
Brian, I see some articles saying imidacloprid doesnt work on cotton scale so you may not want to try.  It may be ineffective or it may need more concentration to work.  I dont know, I know the Bayer stuff doesnt work well for aphids.  But the 22% stuff does.  Im going to give it a try on my tree in spring and see what happens.  Ive tried oil and it doesnt work.  Its too cold and too wet out now to try the systemic. 
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »
I'm having good luck spraying isopropyl alcohol again. My infestation is all on interior mature leaves. I just don't want to go outside with this cold north wind :(
-Kris

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »
Imidacloprid from Bayer seemed to control Citrus Leaf Minor last year for several months. Applied after flowering, the trees had 3 flushes without the CLM, but by August the systemic had worn off enough to allow the pest back in.  My issue has been rust mites on my blood orange that really come on strong in September/October.  Interestingly, the rust mites don't bother my satsumas even though they are planted a few feet away from the blood oranges.  I hate to apply systemics any closer that 6 months from harvest so will have to be more diligent with a hort oil, neem and spinosad regimen.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 09:26:36 PM »
On the old forum Dr. Malcolm Manners stated that Imidacloprid  does not enter into citrus flowers, therefore it does not enter into the fruit.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
I went out and sprayed the scale off my gold nugget today.  Had to put three 50ft hoses together to reach it.  Then go through every inch of the tree and blast em.  Probably got 95% or more off.  Going to keep doing it for a few weeks.  Then when things warm up and ants come back will put a wrap with tanglefoot on it to keep ants away.
Brad Spaugh

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 04:49:50 PM »
I had scale on 3 tree's, don't know if this is the same kind of scale in the topic. I used my wife cleaner Shout by accident. sometime i use her empties. Left it on for a 1/2 hr and wash it of.
I thought i am going to kill the tree. Guess, no more scale, never hurt the tree's.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »
Shout probably works like a soap/detergent spray.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 03:47:28 AM »
It contains also a proteolytic enzyme.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:53 PM »
Ilya11 what reaction do you think the enzyme (there are at least 6 different protepytic emymes) has on the scale?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »
In a product description booklet  of SC Johnson ( a company that produce it) it is said to contain two non-ionic detergents and a subtilisin proteolytic enzyme.
Could be a synergistic effect similar on its action to remove other materials of organic origin.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 05:17:04 PM »
On the old forum Dr. Malcolm Manners stated that Imidacloprid  does not enter into citrus flowers, therefore it does not enter into the fruit.
Thanks Millet.  I had heard that the Imidacloprid does don't get past the stem into the fruit yet we are warned to not apply during flowering so as not affect bees. Thus I am careful and apply systemics early so they have time to wear off.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
Yorgos, never spray ANYTHING whatsoever when the tree has open flowers in full bloom

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »
I ordered some imidacloprid 21%z, and sprayed soap one more time while I wait for it.  If the scale reappears I will try the pesticide.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers