Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Cushiony Cotton scale  (Read 2406 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Cushiony Cotton scale
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2019, 06:58:16 PM »
Soap spray does work on aphids, mites and some scale.  It does not work on cottony cushion scale.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
Soap spray does work on aphids, mites and some scale.  It does not work on cottony cushion scale.
Il give you something natural to try.Mix somme thyme essential oil (one teaspoon)with 2 table spoons of dishwashing detergent and then with half a gallon of water
.That should kill any type of aphids fast without harming the ladybugs and the bees .
You could also use citrus essential oil instead of thyme oil.
Neem oil also is a good insecticide wich probably kills any insect ,but thyme and possibly citrus essential oils are better suited for aphids.
You can buy small bottles of different essential oils at any plant shop.The detergent is only used as a surfactant so that the oil can get mixed with the water.
I used essential oils to kill Varroa mites and tracheal mites in my beehives.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:22:05 PM by SeaWalnut »

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:23 AM »
> It seem like every chemical that actually works has been banned in Europe.
Yes. And it appeared that the citrus  are getting much better! I don't use any chemicals since several years and I no more have bugs issue. A balance is quickly installed.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
It seem like every chemical that actually works has been banned in Europe.  Thank goodness that is not our problem here in the USA.
Millet,
I had the same opinion few months ago when a total ban was imposed on the individual use of most of pesticides in France. I nevertheless  tried to avoid them despite my ability to have them all :).
I am using for the moment only horticultural oil spraying and only in the case of extreme necessity.
We need more time to conclude, but I do not see much difference and many beneficial insects, like ladybugs and parasitic wasps are literary  exploding in their numbers.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2019, 11:32:19 AM »
Not exactly the case here. I would like natrual balance take over here. However at the present mother nature needs a helping hand. At the present that hand is chemicals. The chemical lobby is strong here....so strong that you will never see a complete ban of pesticides.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »
Ilya11, whatever works best for you.  I was surprised when I read the words Horticultural Oil and extreme necessity used in the same sentence. They  really don't belong together.  Horticultural oil is as mild as it gets, even organic growers in the USA can legally use HO with out loosing their organic certification.   I doubt the USA will ever take the route that Europe has.  I never like being forced to do something by government.  Anyway, as always the best for you and your trees.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:20:42 PM by Millet »

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2019, 02:13:16 PM »
Horticultural oil is as mild as it gets, even organic growers in the USA can legally use HO with out loosing their organic certification.   

I never like being forced to do something by government. 

Millet,
Initially Horticultural oil emulsion was also banned in France, but now you can buy it  here.
Actually, it kills all insects without discrimination, so I am not spraying all my plants at the same time, just in a hope to shift an equilibrium and not to kill all ladybugs and wasps.

I am not forced to make this experiment by anybody, including our government, there are many legal ways to acquire banned pesticides, they are allowed for professional use and can be easily bought in other European countries.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
The chemical lobby is strong in USA  ,except California  .It works like mafia ,uses fake and biased scientific reports to sell their chemicals and they do poison people and enviroment.Nothing to be proud of by suporting them.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 02:18:08 PM by SeaWalnut »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »
It depends upon what you mean by "support them". I "use" them. When those that have power to ban certian things, that takes awaw my free agency and does not allow me to make my own decisions as to what I use. Banning things is not what I want government to do.

Ilya11

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »
It depends upon what you mean by "support them". I "use" them. When those that have power to ban certian things, that takes awaw my free agency and does not allow me to make my own decisions as to what I use. Banning things is not what I want government to do.
Completely agree with you, but for me  to spray with chemicals in a closed greenhouse in Colorado is not a wise free agency.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »
I agree and laud you for being smart enough and free enough to make your own WISE decizilns😁

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »
Because you got your ,,freedom,, you ate all the passenger pigeons to extinction in North America .This is not about politics as you like to put it ,but about common sence .You are verry much involved into politics and compare anything to politics and not even the comunist party members were soo brainwashed like you.Its hilarious .

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2019, 03:33:17 PM »
Sorry that you feel that way SeaWalnut. The truth is: You do not know anything about me. I have my freedom and my free agency to think and make my own decisions. A commodity that history has demonstrated, is in short supply in your home. I do not discuss politics with anyone as this is a forum for talking about citrus/tropical fruit. I certianly do not want to speak politics wit you as you have demonstrated that you dont have the knowledge to do so. Therefore I am going to disregard your last statement as ignorance. I shall not respond to it or any more of your bull. Take care, good luck with your citrus.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2019, 10:29:52 PM »
OK I am going to lock this post, as the present discussion is falling apart and going nowhere.  A couple of the post even borders on silliness.  The purpose of this forum is citrus.  All members can freely grow their trees as they wish.  Thanks all for your input, but ii think it is time to close this thread. 

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers