Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Pulasan trees flowering . . .  (Read 255 times)

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Pulasan trees flowering . . .
« on: January 06, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »

I was surprised this weekend to see that five of my seven pulasan trees are heavily flowering. I'm surprised because the trees have been grown from seed and have only been in the ground for five years. I sort of was expecting my GRAFTED rambutan trees to flower before the pulasan trees because they are a year older. Perhaps rambutans flower later? I hope (please, God!) one of the pulasans is a male. Anyway, it was a nice surprise! BTW, I planted two pulasans close together in one hole. The trunks are fused now and the "tree" is the largest of the lot. It's a beautiful healthy tree.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Pulasan trees flowering . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »
Hi Doug,
Congratulations, nice to have the pulusan flowering.  We’ve just had the driest December anyone can remember, and perhaps the driest month of a wet year.  Hope that brings on lots of flowering!
Grafted/layered rambutan out to flower in 2-3 years, quien sabe?
Saludos,
Peter

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 11:32:56 AM »
Congratulations, Doug.  I hope you have a pair in there, you'll have to let us know how it turns out.  I'm happy to hear that two trees in one hole appears to be working out.  I've done the same thing with a number of different species (based on forum members' advice) and none of mine have fused yet but some are approaching this.

John

Reafs

• Guadeloupe, French Caribbean Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 10:01:11 AM »

I was surprised this weekend to see that five of my seven pulasan trees are heavily flowering. I'm surprised because the trees have been grown from seed and have only been in the ground for five years. I sort of was expecting my GRAFTED rambutan trees to flower before the pulasan trees because they are a year older. Perhaps rambutans flower later? I hope (please, God!) one of the pulasans is a male. Anyway, it was a nice surprise! BTW, I planted two pulasans close together in one hole. The trunks are fused now and the "tree" is the largest of the lot. It's a beautiful healthy tree.

Congrats, do not forget to share some pictures
Yohann

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers