Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: F2 citrange winter hardiness trial  (Read 4574 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: F2 citrange winter hardiness trial
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »
You're probably already doing this, but I'd keep some extra cuttings in case an unusually harsh Winter kills everything outside.
The trial can move along a lot faster if spare cuttings are kept of each cultivar. One will be growing fast inside, while being simultaneously tested outside.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
There are 130 Poncirus seedlings prepared and waiting for budding/grafting in June. The more desirable plants will be cloned several times. I have a geodesic frame I plan on covering during the winter with film, using water as a heat sink. There should be no need for artificial heat, provided there's adequate insulation on the north side of the structure.

This building should serve as a repository for all the clones. There are a number of seedlings (TaiTri, citrumelos, etc. from this spring's new acquisitions,these need to be cold tested to earn a place among the F2 segentranges. My intention is to have secure backup of each clone on hand.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:02:02 AM by kumin »

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »
There are 130 Poncirus seedlings prepared and waiting for budding/grafting in June.

how old are your seedlings?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2019, 04:39:45 PM »
1 to 3 years old. I planted a few thousand additional seeds again this spring . I don't want to be short when I need them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:45:41 PM by kumin »

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2019, 06:55:47 PM »
That is a lot of planting. Why do you sow in November when you get the seeds then you have 90% germination rate. This year I am planning also to sow 1000 seeds.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »
I used an easy method, in the end of March I gathered fruit that had fallen in the autumn/early winter. After soaking them in water and squeezing/manipulating the fruits, the seeds separated from the pulp. I disinfected the seeds with Sodium  hypochlorite, then rinsed them and planted immediately. Due to recent cool temperatures, seedling emergence has only been evident for the last week. Germination appears to be satisfactory.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
This is a newly emerged seedling grafted to a branch mature enough to fruit. This type of graft has worked well for me. The rootstock bark is cut downward about 3.5 cm long trying not to cut into the underlying wood. The scion is prepared by selecting a thin twig and slicing off the skin of the bark on both sides, trying to not remove more of the cambium than necessary(exposing, but not removing the cambium). These grafts have performed very well for me, perhaps because of the extensive cambium contact. The parafilm doesn't serve any purpose at this point other than indicating the graft location. The actual graft is lower on the stem than the parafilm.

Waiting until these stems are mature enough to use as scions.

TaiTri seedlings growing nicely.

Citrumelos coming along well.

Surprise Magnolia grandiflora discovered growing under Poncirus. The first seedling in 22 years! 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:21:18 PM by kumin »

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #157 on: Today at 04:11:43 PM »
I used an easy method, in the end of March I gathered fruit that had fallen in the autumn/early winter. After soaking them in water and squeezing/manipulating the fruits, the seeds separated from the pulp. I disinfected the seeds with Sodium  hypochlorite, then rinsed them and planted immediately. Due to recent cool temperatures, seedling emergence has only been evident for the last week. Germination appears to be satisfactory.

I prefer sow them in the fall, by the time spring comes they are 8-10 inches high, this way you extend the season to one year more, because PT stops growing at the end of September. A hormone mechanisms tell him to go dormant. Sodium hypochlorite is toxic and might kill some seeds I use peroxide.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers