Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Lychee grafted onto Longan?  (Read 25074 times)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee grafted onto Longan?
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2019, 04:57:56 AM »
fruit4me,

Just curious what happened with your other two grafted Lychees. { Heung Lai and Pot Po Heung Lychee both grafted 4/2016 }
Are they still alive and doing well ?

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2019, 11:59:58 AM »
All the NO Mai Tsz fruits dropped around this stage, just enough to have some sweetness and flavor. Definitely unique taste. Notice all the fruits have the bulging neck and 100% tiny kernel.

Itís difficult to confirm if thatís the real NMT. The color is off because they were early drops. The points on the shell should be more rounded out. The video of the NMT from Sulcata Grove look like the real deal NMT except the fruit is usually larger than that.

NMT is one of the slowest growing and least productive Lychees in China but people still grow it because of how delicious they are. Max, wait till you try a fully ripe fruit, youíll go nuts over how delicious they are.

Simon

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2019, 01:39:54 AM »
fruit4me,

Just curious what happened with your other two grafted Lychees. { Heung Lai and Pot Po Heung Lychee both grafted 4/2016 }
Are they still alive and doing well ?

It both died last year. Im not sure what was the real cause of it. It could incompatibility issues or coincidentally  from the July heatwave. I noticed right below the grafts of the lychees, the longan branch was dying. Longan trees got toasted really bad from the heatwave.  Surprisingly, nothing happened to my Mauritius lychee tree. Not even a single fruit drop. 
All the NO Mai Tsz fruits dropped around this stage, just enough to have some sweetness and flavor. Definitely unique taste. Notice all the fruits have the bulging neck and 100% tiny kernel.

It’s difficult to confirm if that’s the real NMT. The color is off because they were early drops. The points on the shell should be more rounded out. The video of the NMT from Sulcata Grove look like the real deal NMT except the fruit is usually larger than that.

NMT is one of the slowest growing and least productive Lychees in China but people still grow it because of how delicious they are. Max, wait till you try a fully ripe fruit, you’ll go nuts over how delicious they are.

Simon

I still have one last chance for the one and only fruit holding on. The fruits kinda resembles the picture and description on Jason's nursery website  in China .
http://www.fruit-trees-nursery.com/litchi.htm#sthash.aFS9GwCZ.dpbs
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:52:31 AM by fruit4me »

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:28 AM »
One and only  No Mai Tsze

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2019, 07:02:57 AM »
Thanks for the update on your other 2 grafts.
Congrats on this fine looking fruit !!

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers