Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Chile flame tree,Embothrium Coccineum,proteaceae.  (Read 648 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Chile flame tree,Embothrium Coccineum,proteaceae.
« on: April 21, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
I see this tree quite offten listed as edible but what parts of it its edible i dont know.I suspect the edible part its the nectar from the flowers in a similar way that sugar bushes are used.Maybe somebody that knows more about this will shed light on the edibility issue.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Chile flame tree,Embothrium Coccineum,proteaceae.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 05:12:03 AM »
Seeds arrived from Patagonia.Gevuina Avellana ,the red nuts that look like Macadamia and Embothrium Coccineum ,the smaller seeds.Both are proteaceae.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 05:29:50 AM »
Note: i dont sell them.

pvaldes

• Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »
After a spanish book, seeds are the edible part when cooked.

In any case I don't have direct experience with it, and those seeds could be from other species, so be careful.

Other uses: Has some healing effect, Spoons are made from its wood. Leaves are used as cattle fodder and eaten by deer, and flowers attract birds

A narrow tree that stands shadowed spots, fits in small spaces with a splendid massive floration in spring and a second floration in fall sometimes (less profuse). Just for the flower this jewel from the Antarctic flora would deserve a space.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:39:23 PM by pvaldes »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 10:23:14 PM »
After a spanish book, seeds are the edible part when cooked.

In any case I don't have direct experience with it, and those seeds could be from other species, so be careful.

Other uses: Has some healing effect, Spoons are made from its wood. Leaves are used as cattle fodder and eaten by deer, and flowers attract birds

A narrow tree that stands shadowed spots, fits in small spaces with a splendid massive floration in spring and a second floration in fall sometimes (less profuse). Just for the flower this jewel from the Antarctic flora would deserve a space.
Just for the flowers il give them space on my land. I also have beehives and i think these trees produce a lot of nectar but i am not sure iet.I have a feeling its like Rewarewa from New Zealand wich is also a protaceae with similar flowers .Indigenous people from NZ shake the rewarewa flowers into a bucket and they drink the nectar they had collected.For bees to reach the nectar of Embothrium might be problematic because of the shape of the flower and bees might dissassemble the flowers just like they do to magnolia flowers to take the pollen( magnolias dont produce nectar,just pollen).Thx for explaining me from spanish language. Here is a link about Rewarewa flowers and their nectar collection.https://youtu.be/SK9u0MZA4B8
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:26:11 PM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:00:52 PM »
After a month in the fridge i got good germination rate of Gevuina( the nut seeds), close to 100 percent.
Embothrium needs a little more time in the fridge but i still mannaged to get one seed without cold stratification at all( soaked in gibberellic acid ,500 ppm/24 hours).

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 04:28:10 AM »
I got an idea on how to lower phosphorus for these protea plants.I will buy cheapest iron nails,wash them of oil and then i will mix them into the soil on the spot where il plant these trees.
The nails will rust and the rust will bind the phosphates really well .Ive used special rust pellets ( GFO) in the past to remove phosphates from water but GFO is expensive and its just rust after all.One kilo of nails costs just 1 euro.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 05:28:58 AM »
Great read about South American proteaceae.They tolerate a lot more phosphorus than proteaceae from Australia and South Africa.
South african ptotea grow well between 1-40 ppm P ,while the south americans do well between 63-951 ppm P.
The more tolerant proteaceae from South America are Embothrium and Lomatia Hirsuta,but especially Embothrium since it looses a lot of P when its shading its leaves so the colder the climate the more phosphorus resistance it has.
 Also found 2 practices to lower the phosphorus,one is to measure the P at 50 cm depth and at the surface.At depth it should be much lower and by tilling 50 cm deep the phosphorus gets ,,diluted,, in the soil.
The otther practice its to add aluminium sulphate,0,15 gr of AlSiO4 per each ppm of P that needs to be reduced.Aluminium binds the phosphate and its non toxic.Its verry similar to my method of using rust,iron oxide,basically does the same thing and its probably cheaper.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6030812/

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »
My Gevuina plants.After somme intense study i figgired out they tolerate normal soil( not highly rich) and somme dont look verry good because i starved them in verry poore soil .But now i changed the verry poore soils of somme of the pots with good clay soil from my garden.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 08:20:12 AM by SeaWalnut »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
I lost all the Embothrium due to damping off disease because i wasnt at home to treat them with chamomille tea.
The gevuinas are being eaten by slugs really bad and i made these copper wire snail deterrents .I still found a slug eating on one gevuina seedling the next day so i added coffee grounds around the seedlings and over the copper wire.These should atop the snails and hopefully the plants recover.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:14:49 PM by SeaWalnut »

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 01:20:47 AM »
Hi,
Can I know where you bought Gevuina Avellana seeds?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 02:57:57 AM »
Hi,
I got these from a friend after spending a year searching them.Before that ive ordered a few packs of seeds from USA ( from ebay) and none of those germinated ,so beware if your gonna spend a lot of monney on them.Make sure they are fresh.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 05:30:53 AM »
Hi,
I got these from a friend after spending a year searching them.Before that ive ordered a few packs of seeds from USA ( from ebay) and none of those germinated ,so beware if your gonna spend a lot of monney on them.Make sure they are fresh.
I had found somebody willing to ship some seeds but didn't hear from him since a long time.
How big is the nut? Have you tasted any?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
Hi,
I had found somebody willing to ship some seeds but didn't hear from him since a long time.
They are one third in volume of the macadamia nuts and taste is a lot better than the taste of macadamia .They are sweeter and have a coconut like flavour similar to apricot seeds but a lot sweeter.The downsides of these nuts is that the shell its too soft to be cracked and also if you roast them ,then the sugars turn the nuts brown while the macadamias stay white.

00christian00

• Italy, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
Hi,
They are one third in volume of the macadamia nuts and taste is a lot better than the taste of macadamia .They are sweeter and have a coconut like flavour similar to apricot seeds but a lot sweeter.The downsides of these nuts is that the shell its too soft to be cracked and also if you roast them ,then the sugars turn the nuts brown while the macadamias stay white.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I saw some picture that seemed really small, but couldn't find any real data.
So if the shell is soft can they be opened by hand or teeth? Otherwise seem a lot of effort for such a small nut.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I saw some picture that seemed really small, but couldn't find any real data.
So if the shell is soft can they be opened by hand or teeth? Otherwise seem a lot of effort for such a small nut.
They are not to small and the shell is hard but hard to crack because it has the red husk wich make it somewhat too much elastic.
Its a verry rare tree and its verry beautifull ,cold hardy and provides year round high quality nuts.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers