Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Florida grown kratom?  (Read 196 times)

DJMadonia96

• Florida
    • View Profile
Florida grown kratom?
« on: October 06, 2019, 03:37:22 PM »
Is anyone in south Florida growing kratom and if so have you been able to harvest from your trees? I'm curious if it's worth it to try to grow some outdoors here. I'm in zone 10a for reference.

Botanicus

• North Central Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Florida grown kratom?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 10:40:37 AM »
It's frost sensitive, but that shouldn't be a problem where you are. They do like consistent moisture, but otherwise a pretty easy growing plant. I have one growing up here in north-central Florida near a pond in partial shade, it has been nipped back by the cold a few times but now is approaching about 8' tall & 6' wide. I've never harvested any leaves, but it's quite lush.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:38 AM »
 I have several growing in 5 gallon pots that manage Texas winters in a garage. 

At first i treated them like babies. The more i learned about the community the less interested i became and the less care i gave them. Its very hard to cut through nonsense in the Kratom community.

Ive been told American Kratom has never tested positive for key alkaloids. Ive been told they wont until they are XXX years old. No one truly knows what they are growing. Or if its actually Mitragyna Speciosa. Its seems like the driving factor of trade isnt pure specimens but kitschy names like Pink Indo, Bumblebee or Rifat. What color the veins are. This has made proper trade anywhere impossible.

i ran across an article a decade before Kratom even gained fringe status that the seed being sold as M.Speciosa was actually M.Parviflora.  Every seller ive spoke to has wildly contradictory information.. and they are all 'right'.

Ive made tea with my leaves and it did make a difference. I probably prune back 10% of the 3 that are largest, and it affords me 2 days worth of tea. For a while i felt tea made with green leaves right off the tree worked better. But these experiences differ from month to month. I dont take processed Kratom regularly and to be honest ive never been very impressed with it. But i still dont think my home made tea compared with processed product.  Unfortunately, theres no way to get at the truth, how to grow your own processed quality Speciosa. Due to the community itself.

The Kratom community is secretive and deceptive. They spread anecdotal, baseless info worse than the Marijuana community (and thats saying alot).

Which is sad, because it really is an important tree that saves lives. Not to mention how fast it grows and how gorgeous it is pruned into a bush

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 10:14:11 PM »
I am in zone 10 A. The one I have has done really well even though I did everything wrong. I planted it in a deeply shaded area on the north side of a building and did not amend my soil at all. I must say they are very thirsty trees. I used a lot of mulch and fish emulsion mixed with epsom salt. If I could do it again I would dig a large hole weeks in advance and mix peat moss with coffee grinds and mushroom compost.

In the winter they get really dry burned looking leaves. Then once the rains come they get right back to being beautiful.

I thought they were a understory tree in the rainforest. But they are in fact a giant canopy tree that loves sunlight.

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:21:59 PM »
I have several growing in 5 gallon pots that manage Texas winters in a garage. 

At first i treated them like babies. The more i learned about the community the less interested i became and the less care i gave them. Its very hard to cut through nonsense in the Kratom community.

Ive been told American Kratom has never tested positive for key alkaloids. Ive been told they wont until they are XXX years old. No one truly knows what they are growing. Or if its actually Mitragyna Speciosa. Its seems like the driving factor of trade isnt pure specimens but kitschy names like Pink Indo, Bumblebee or Rifat. What color the veins are. This has made proper trade anywhere impossible.

i ran across an article a decade before Kratom even gained fringe status that the seed being sold as M.Speciosa was actually M.Parviflora.  Every seller ive spoke to has wildly contradictory information.. and they are all 'right'.

Ive made tea with my leaves and it did make a difference. I probably prune back 10% of the 3 that are largest, and it affords me 2 days worth of tea. For a while i felt tea made with green leaves right off the tree worked better. But these experiences differ from month to month. I dont take processed Kratom regularly and to be honest ive never been very impressed with it. But i still dont think my home made tea compared with processed product.  Unfortunately, theres no way to get at the truth, how to grow your own processed quality Speciosa. Due to the community itself.

The Kratom community is secretive and deceptive. They spread anecdotal, baseless info worse than the Marijuana community (and thats saying alot).

Which is sad, because it really is an important tree that saves lives. Not to mention how fast it grows and how gorgeous it is pruned into a bush

Very true. The tree I have is a cutting given to me by a friend. I have the tea every now and then but never felt any difference. I just like growing them. I also have the ayahuasca vine and also not sure how real they are! Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers