Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: SELLING ANACARDIUM EXCELSUM SEEDS(WILD CASHEW)  (Read 415 times)

Ertdude

• Tre
    • US, Puerto Rico, Maunabo
    • View Profile
SELLING ANACARDIUM EXCELSUM SEEDS(WILD CASHEW)
« on: October 30, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
5 seeds $20 free shipping

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
Re: SELLING ANACARDIUM EXCELSUM SEEDS(WILD CASHEW)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 05:25:00 AM »
Hi Ertdude, can you show what the nut looks like after pulling out of the cover and the tree from which you have fruit? Thank you. Dominik
Patience is a gardener's virtue

Ertdude

• Tre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
Hi Ertdude, can you show what the nut looks like after pulling out of the cover and the tree from which you have fruit? Thank you. Dominik

I don't have any fruiting plants, I dont have potting space to plant all 100+ seeds so I'm just selling the extras instead of throwing them in a composter. Can you explain what you mean by pulling off the cover?

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 11:19:28 AM »
You showed the seeds in covers. This is hardly legible (probably the seed covers will be removed for shipping and the delivered seeds will look different). I would like to know if the seeds of anacardium excelsum are similar to anacardium occidentale, or are there any noticeable differences?  Thank you.

Ertdude

• Tre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 12:10:42 PM »
You showed the seeds in covers. This is hardly legible (probably the seed covers will be removed for shipping and the delivered seeds will look different). I would like to know if the seeds of anacardium excelsum are similar to anacardium occidentale, or are there any noticeable differences?  Thank you.
I was going to send the seeds as pictured, I received the seeds like this and have germinated them like that prior, so I didnt think there was a need to open them? I also germinate regular cashews like the one pictured without removing anything.

Ertdude

• Tre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 12:18:05 PM »

Opened seed

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
The curiosity is / was how the whole fruits look comparing the one you showed regular cashews, Anacardium occidentale ?

Ertdude

• Tre
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
The curiosity is / was how the whole fruits look comparing the one you showed regular cashews, Anacardium occidentale ?
yeah I have no idea I've never seen nor had the fruit in person, you can probably find that information by just searching it up online though.

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »
Thanks for the information. Walnut looks a little different than Cashew.  Particularly interesting seems to be that the plant is very tolerant of high humidity, which can hardly be said for anacardium occidentale. From what I've read in other places it is edible, but only after cooking. When uncooked, the fruit (both the nut and the surrounding fleshy part) is highly toxic to humans. It may, however, be eaten after it is roasted. I have heard that it has a slightly strawberry or vanilla flavor. Is it true?

Ertdude

• Tre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 08:05:02 PM »
Thanks for the information. Walnut looks a little different than Cashew.  Particularly interesting seems to be that the plant is very tolerant of high humidity, which can hardly be said for anacardium occidentale. From what I've read in other places it is edible, but only after cooking. When uncooked, the fruit (both the nut and the surrounding fleshy part) is highly toxic to humans. It may, however, be eaten after it is roasted. I have heard that it has a slightly strawberry or vanilla flavor. Is it true?
I've never tried the fruit so I'm not sure on the flavor or edibility. Interesting the fruit might not necessarily be edible unripe

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 05:47:04 AM »
Nuts contain anacardic acid and a caustic oil called cardol. They are poisonous before they are roasted (Blohm, 1962). Fruits are eaten by white-faced and how­ler monkeys (Hladik & Hladik, 1969) and by the bat Micronycteris hirsuta (Wilson, 1971)
https://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/bioinformatics/croat/specie/Anacardium%20excelsum,e,n

When uncooked, the fruit (both the nut and the surrounding fleshy part) is highly toxic to humans. It may, however, be eaten after it is roasted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacardium_excelsum

Ertdude, probably just smelling the seeds is enough to assess whether it has the smell of strawberry or vanilla;)

Ertdude

• Tre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 05:09:45 PM »
Nuts contain anacardic acid and a caustic oil called cardol. They are poisonous before they are roasted (Blohm, 1962). Fruits are eaten by white-faced and how­ler monkeys (Hladik & Hladik, 1969) and by the bat Micronycteris hirsuta (Wilson, 1971)
https://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/bioinformatics/croat/specie/Anacardium%20excelsum,e,n

When uncooked, the fruit (both the nut and the surrounding fleshy part) is highly toxic to humans. It may, however, be eaten after it is roasted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacardium_excelsum

Ertdude, probably just smelling the seeds is enough to assess whether it has the smell of strawberry or vanilla;)
the seed did actually smell sweet, it's hard to say but I think it was a combination of both really, mostly smelled sweet though

Domnik

• 7A Poland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 06:18:49 PM »
It sounds interesting. Thanks for the information.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers