Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Grafting Jackfruit to Breadnut rootstock?  (Read 127 times)

professor

• Costa Rica Guanacaste
    • View Profile
Grafting Jackfruit to Breadnut rootstock?
« on: November 15, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has experience with grafting a Jackfruit to a Breadnut rootstock.  I would assume its possible since they are of the same Family and Genus however I would like to know for sure if its been done before. 
Also if possible, which grafting technique has been shown to work the best?

Thanks much.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Jackfruit to Breadnut rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »
While some interspecific grafts take and some intraspecific grafts are incompatible it would be an interesting experiment. Breadfruit on breadnut should work but I have doubts about jackfruit as they might not be genetically similar enough.

professor

• Costa Rica Guanacaste
    • View Profile
Re: Grafting Jackfruit to Breadnut rootstock?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 03:37:34 PM »
Another point... I read that in India they do graft breadfruit onto their wild jackfruit so I figured its likely that I could do the reverse.  Given that the jackfruit tree could naturally be twice as large as the breadfruit, not sure if I would get a smaller dwarf version, or have any issues with the tree not being able to handle the weight of the fruit, it may be best just to go with growing the jackfruit seedlings and graft to them instead of taking the risk with the breadnut.  I may however try grafting the jackfruit onto some of the 4 year old breadfruit trees that I have to get a tree with both fruit if the center trunk is not essential for support of the heavy fruit.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers