Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Yuzu x Poncirus  (Read 1094 times)

Till

• Germany, Simmerath (City), Zone 6b
    • View Profile
Yuzu x Poncirus
« on: December 09, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »
Hello!

two years ago a was active on Citrus Growers Forum. Now I am back! Great that most people from the old forum are also active here! I had not much news to post inbetween. That was the reason I hersitated to register here. But now I can present a little seedling of cross I made. Yuzu x Poncirus:

A pitty that most seeds were rotten. Only three of them germinated, one was this hybrid. (I have to improve my seed care!)
It is interesting to me that the seedling is mostly monofoliate. But it is definitely a cross of Yuzu with pure Poncirus. There seems to be a rule that the smaller the leaves of the citrus parent the fewer trifoliate leaves you will find. I have also a cross of Kucle (= Kumquat x Clementine) x Poncirus that has narrow mostly monofoliate leaves. This seems to be the genetic influence of the willow leaf parent in Kucle. One purely monofoliate seeling of Kucle has leaves like the willow leaf mandarine. (To remember: Clementine is believed to be a cross with willow leaf mandarine).

I hope my Yuzu x Poncirus cross is somehow tasty and pretty hardy. We will see some day...

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Yuzu x Poncirus
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
Glad to see you here Till.
Outside of narrow leaves, what other poncirus traits are evident in your hybrids?
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
Hello Ilya!

It is difficult to say at the moment. The most obvious Poncirus trait is just that they have some tri- and bifoliate leaves. And I know for sure that the motherplants could not have been polinized by Poncirus hybrids only by the pure Poncirus pollen I placed on the flowers - or by pure Citrus pollen.

If you compare this Yuzu hybrid with its two obviously nucellars siblings you see that it is a little bit less vigorious. The petiole of pure Yuzu is also broader. The petiole and leave texure of the Yuzu hybrid shows some influence of Poncirus I would say.

Regards, Till

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
Beautiful plant Till,  the  thrill one gets when nearly a year of anticipation after making a cross, a different kind of leaf shows up.

maesy

• Lucerne, Switzerland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »
Till, welcome to the forum.
Have you tasted the leaves? When you bite a leaf, you may taste a bit of the poncirus flavor.
If its pure yuzu, you will only taste the typically pleasant flavor of yuzu.

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 04:15:48 PM »
hardyvermont, yes it always gives me a kick when I see that I cross was successful. Well, a little bit crazy. So many failures and work for just a little seedling the fruits of which may be awful. But I just must do these things!

Maesy, when the plant has more leaves I will taste some. But it is clear anyway that Poncirus is in the bloodline. I mean it has some trifoliate leaves. Monofoliate leaves are not just like those of its siblings although all three plants grew in the same pot until recently.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 08:07:13 PM »
I have a rare ichangensis x poncirus (F2 generation)

(yuzu is pretty closely related to ichangensis, at least genetically)

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Socal2warm, nice! Have you made the cross yourself? No trifoliate leaves? i do not see any on the photo.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
Socal2warm, nice! Have you made the cross yourself? No trifoliate leaves? i do not see any on the photo.
seed originally came from Ilya (if I'm remembering correctly)

It has no trifoliate leaves.

The plant is slower growing but vigorous and robust.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:28:22 AM »
When it comes from Ilya it is probably an N1tri seedling. Is it @Ilya11?

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:07 AM »
Yes, it was a N1tri seed from open pollination.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Till

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 04:15:11 AM »
My Yuzu x Poncirus seems to be extremly dormant in winter. It stands in a winter garden for a few weeks now. Calamondin x Poncirus is growing. Kucle x Poncirus starts growing, Swingle 5 Star seedlings, even Eremorange and two Yuzu seedlings, the latter just hesitatingly beginning. But buds of Yuzu x Poncirus have not become bigger. Pure Poncirus has become big buds in a glashouse that is cooler than the winter garden.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers