Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: New fruits  (Read 701 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
New fruits
« on: December 15, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
Kei apple from bark inversion

And possible first peanut butter after 3 years of continual flowering

Shane

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: New fruits
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 07:12:36 PM »
Very nice!

How do the Kei apples taste?

Mango Stein

• Sour grapesville
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 07:50:57 PM »
That Bunchosia has straight leaf margins and so I would guess is B. armeniaca. The common one with wavy leaf margins is B. glandulifera. You may continue to have poor fruit sets, because B. armeniaca is known to often suffer self-infertility.
There's no such thing as "ultra tropical"

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 08:16:09 PM »
After reading that whole bunchosia thread about mislabelled armeniaca...does anybody have more information about the “real/better” bunchosia armeniaca versus the “common/inferior” one labelled by Logees and others as armeniaca that is supposedly grandiflora?  I have one of these, it’s okay.  Im curious about the other type
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:18:01 PM by brian »

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 07:43:36 AM »
After reading that whole bunchosia thread about mislabelled armeniaca...does anybody have more information about the “real/better” bunchosia armeniaca versus the “common/inferior” one labelled by Logees and others as armeniaca that is supposedly grandiflora?  I have one of these, it’s okay.  Im curious about the other type

Link?

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3707.0

Its an old thread, but a top result when searching for info on peanut butter fruit

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 12:10:30 PM »
The Kei has been mixed Richard. A couple have been as good as the best i've had from Exotica. Good sweet/sour mix with a touch of apricot and something vegetal that i can't figure out. My wife really enjoyed hers. Gives me more confidence that its properly labelled 'Silber'.  There rest have been milder and fainty sour without the other flavors. Only got about 10 fruit total.

On the Bunchosia, I won't comment on the species by names cause i'm still confused, but i do have one branch grafted of the wavy form from marklee's plant that's doing very well. I expect it'll start flowering next year. Also, i have no idea why i got a couple fruit setting now. Hopefully its just age and not some fluke of the weather or insect visitation.
Shane

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »
Kei apple from bark inversion

And possible first peanut butter after 3 years of continual flowering

my pb fruit plant was very slow to acclimate to being planted, coastal lowlands with flooding heavy clay, planted in shade of bananas plenty manure & weeding.  Took about a year for very little fruit.  3 years in the bush has about tripled the size as the potted plant's original size and fruit set is very good.

Perhaps wind, rain, or just shock kept the fruit from setting early on, but now the bush is doing very good.

So don't be discouraged from very little fruit being set, even though bush is full of flowers.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers