Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Local invasive species most concerning to you?  (Read 2351 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Local invasive species most concerning to you?
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:17 PM »
These type of idiots that grow agresive fish in aquarium at home ,released the snakeheads in Florida.
Its the most agresive fish in the world,can even crawl on land to eat pigeons,rats,baby aligators.
This is not like peacefull carp that eats plant and filters water .
Is the biggest nightmare invasive fish to have and taste means nothing since they need
to eat 10 kilos of native fish and animals to grow to 1 kilo.
 https://youtu.be/WPGmvemG6fk

nattyfroootz

• Woodside/Santa Cruz CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »

Now compare this beast with the peacefull, beneficial jumping carp that reduces pollution ,doesnt harm anything iet its soo much hated.

Wrong.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2020, 08:56:34 AM »

Now compare this beast with the peacefull, beneficial jumping carp that reduces pollution ,doesnt harm anything iet its soo much hated.

Wrong.
Science today has become like politics .
What you think its wrong,be convinced of it and strongly make yourself loud . ;D .
Il not even stard a debate about this to be called a chinese carp again ,but i know what im talking from a scientific side of view.
You probably know more about the biology of this fish ,about eutrophication and the phosphorus cycle in nature ,than me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:10:24 AM by SeaWalnut »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2020, 10:03:25 AM »
A cautionary tale-
My father was old enough to recall to me some of the 4 billion American Chestnuts which once majestically covered (1 of every 4 trees) across 200 million acres, much of the Eastern US. This species which had existed 40 million years was totally wiped out, perhaps one of the biggest forest losses of modern history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgbedXnbfw
I just watched the video and really enjoyed seeing the old pictures of the giant Chestnuts & their fast growth rates & nut production before the blight from Asia.

Anyone visiting the Appalachian mountain region will see these old dead tree stumps rotting and wonder what happened as I did many years ago (At first I thought it was just old logging stumps). Watching this video helps visualize what was really there as the video is excellent.

It looks like they were similar in magnitude to the California Coastal Redwoods in size and probably more important to the local region due to the nut harvest the people depended on and which eventually vanished with the trees.

Excellent video for anyone planning to visit the Appalachian mountain region in the future...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:05:52 AM by palmcity »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2020, 09:46:37 AM »

Wrong.
Science today has become like politics .
What you think its wrong,be convinced of it and strongly make yourself loud . ;D .
Il not even stard a debate about this to be called a chinese carp again ,but i know what im talking from a scientific side of view.
You probably know more about the biology of this fish ,about eutrophication and the phosphorus cycle in nature ,than me.

No, Sea Walnut, science is NOT like politics.  Science is fact. Politics are an opinion.  You can't trump a fact with an opinion.  Asian carp (which is the collective term for bighead, black, grass, and silver carp) are destructive because they are in direct competition with native aquatic species for food and habitat and have explosive populations with no natural predators.

nattyfroootz

• Woodside/Santa Cruz CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
I see science as being political to those that don't really have an understanding of science.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »
Snake head fish, nasty one!

If anyone can ship them frozen to california for a reasonable price, i will buy them. This is one of the most nutritious fish we eat in Indonesia.

Looks like someone else thinks they are good eating.

https://youtu.be/b4pyr3ese-Y

Now if the price can be made right to  incentivize commercial fishing/harvesting perhaps populations can be managed.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
I see science as being political to those that don't really have an understanding of science.
This is exactly your case and Daintree or most american people case.
I bet you never seen these fish for real ,and you get your ,,scientific facts,, from news.

Me on the otther hand,im the scientist you talk about regarding this fish impact on various ecosystems ( in fact i even explained this in detail)but what i say doesnt matter,go on believing the news  or otther such dubious sources wich dont account for science.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2020, 01:35:29 PM »

If anyone can ship them frozen to california for a reasonable price, i will buy them. This is one of the most nutritious fish we eat in Indonesia.

Now if the price can be made right to  incentivize commercial fishing/harvesting perhaps populations can be managed.
You dont realise it ,but it has a conversion of 10:1.
This fish needs to eat 10 kilos of bass,native fish ,ducks and aligator babyes to grow to one kilo.
Compared to rainbow trout wich has only a 2:1 conversion in ponds where its grown on pellets,the snakehead its a trash fish and verry damaging to ecosistems.

It is the most agresive fish in the world and the biggest  of all nightmares to release in a lake where its not native and where it can breed.

nattyfroootz

• Woodside/Santa Cruz CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2020, 01:44:37 PM »
I bet you never seen these fish for real ,and you get your ,,scientific facts,, from news.

Me on the otther hand,im the scientist you talk about regarding this fish impact on various ecosystems ( in fact i even explained this in detail)but what i say doesnt matter,go on believing the news  or otther such dubious sources wich dont account for science.

We talked about this before and you couldn't provide any evidence to support your anecdotal claims. The ones you did provide didn't provide any support for your claims.  I don't get my facts from,, news,, because that isn't an accurate source.  I'm not here to debate you, because you are dug into being wrong and I can't change your mind.  But I practice and believe in science, not science fiction.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »

We talked about this before and you couldn't provide any evidence to support your anecdotal claims. The ones you did provide didn't provide any support for your claims.  I don't get my facts from,, news,, because that isn't an accurate source.  I'm not here to debate you, because you are dug into being wrong and I can't change your mind.  But I practice and believe in science, not science fiction.
I didnt posted any references to suport my claims because i realise we are not on the same level of knowledge about enviroment protection,ecosystems ,Etc.
In that case we didnt even had a debate,i was actually trying to teach you  ;D .
Just because i dont post references,doesnt mean a lack of respect from my part,just that simply your not even close to my level of knowledge about this subject to be worthy of references posted.

nattyfroootz

• Woodside/Santa Cruz CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2020, 03:17:52 PM »
Riiiiight.

roblack

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »

I didnt posted any references to suport my claims because i realise we are not on the same level of knowledge about enviroment protection,ecosystems ,Etc.
In that case we didnt even had a debate,i was actually trying to teach you  ;D .
Just because i dont post references,doesnt mean a lack of respect from my part,just that simply your not even close to my level of knowledge about this subject to be worthy of references posted.

Nut,

I have read several outlandish posts from you, and have been open minded.

This is a tropical fruit forum. It's not an invasive carps trolling from outer space that plant trees on someone else's land so they can cure your Covid with pollen that has been cured in an asses' ass forum.

...and what's up with the pretentious crap. You think you are more intelligent and knowledgeable than everyone or anyone else?

Perhaps I communicate on a level that you do not understand.

My apologies.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:30:04 PM by roblack »

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2020, 06:02:22 PM »

This fish needs to eat 10 kilos of bass,native fish ,ducks and aligator babyes to grow to one kilo.
Compared to rainbow trout wich has only a 2:1 conversion in ponds where its grown on pellets,the snakehead its a trash fish and verry damaging to ecosistems.

It is the most agresive fish in the world and the biggest  of all nightmares to release in a lake where its not native and where it can breed.

I think something is lost in translation.

All I am saying is if there is a use for the fish, people will remove it, harvest it (not try to culture it) thereby reducing its density in the areas it has infested.  It is the same thing that divers are doing with Lion fish.  Find a good recipe for cooking it and try to get people to remove as much of it as they can.

Programs like this one http://www.divetalking.com/?p=9487

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2020, 10:38:43 PM »
No, Sea Walnut, science is NOT like politics.  Science is fact.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes unknown. Question everything, accept little as fact; regardless of classification as a truth.... Make your own decision or hold off on deciding till later regardless of governing body presenting the facts as facts... lol

https://www.insider.com/myths-lies-learned-in-school-wrong-facts-2017-5
30 'facts' you learned in school that have since been proven wrong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/09/27/these-scientific-theories-were-accepted-once-but-were-later-proven-wrong/#22d65edf4da2

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »
No, Sea Walnut, science is NOT like politics.  Science is fact.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, sometimes unknown. Question everything, accept little as fact; regardless of classification as a truth.... Make your own decision or hold off on deciding till later regardless of governing body presenting the facts as facts... lol

https://www.insider.com/myths-lies-learned-in-school-wrong-facts-2017-5
30 'facts' you learned in school that have since been proven wrong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/09/27/these-scientific-theories-were-accepted-once-but-were-later-proven-wrong/#22d65edf4da2
Dagnabbit!!! I was hoping to be a Diamond one day!!! LoL  I am just a old chuck of coal :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPbcDnCnGf0
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:18:13 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS   Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »

Did the snake fish here go through genetic mutation to became such a beast? In my home country they are not invasive at all, but maybe because people hunting them so much as they prized for the high nutritional value. Sure snake head fish eat everything, but mostly lizards, bugs, frogs, and other small fishes. It has high albumin which helps to heal the wound post surgery. The protein level is higher than tillapia, cat fish, or snapper.
This snake fish was hunted so much it almost extinct in their natural habitat. Now people start farm them in the pond since there is such a high demand for it.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers