Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Wich garden shredder its better?  (Read 230 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Wich garden shredder its better?
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:47:26 AM »
Ive decided to buy one of these because its cheap and i can make woodchips to use them as a mulch( i got tired of using mulch made from straws because it decays too fast).
These machines are small power but thats exactly what i want .I dont want big power chippers altough i do have 380 volts instalation ( and the regular 220v) and i have somme heavy duty 5-11 kw triphasic motors at home.
I could use those with a DIY machine but that seems quite dangerous and a lot more work and monney to build the machine than to buy one of these small wood chippers.

Im thonking to make like 4-5 cubic meters of wood chips per year wich could be crazy for such a small chipper but il sharpen the blades and hopefully il dont have too manny problems.
In case the branches are too thick il split them first.
https://youtu.be/XmHXr7vAz8U

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Wich garden shredder its better?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 11:00:48 AM »
I'm pretty fond of mackissic, but prolly not easy to find one in Romania.
Jeff  :-)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
I cant get a tractor shredder or a bigger shredder where i deposit the branches.
I can find all types of wood chippers here to buy or i can build one really powerfull ,electric, with triphase motor 5-15 kw but that would cost more than the cost of one of these small chippers ,wich is 100-150 dollars.
And i dont want a powerfull wood chipper because there will be kids using it and the safer the better.
It will still be dangerous but not as dangerous as the big wood chippers.

One of the 2 small electric chippers has a disk with 2 blades that spins fast .Makes smaller sized wood chips.

The otther small electric wood chipper has this gear like  cutter wich spins slow but has a lot of torque due to the fact it runs through a gear reductor.
The wood chips are bigger than the wood shawings of the first wood chipper.

Il be using the wood chips as mulch to keep the moisture in the soil and also i want to heat my greenhouse on wood chips from a reservoir with a feeding auger/ screw ( automatic fire feeding).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:22:22 PM by SeaWalnut »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:09:48 PM »
I've been using my tractor PTO chipper a few years and am happy. The ones with a heavy flywheel have enough inertial mass to work, and as shot explained to me keeping the blades sharp makes a big difference (and the belt sander sharpens them well!). i chip directly into my pickup truck and fork out of that. Usually I only chip up to 2 inch branches.
Requires 25 hp~20kw tractor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-hWIle0Xa0

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »
Nightmare machine ,but works well on wood to, and all electric!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFwEV3foQg

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 10:31:18 PM »
Does wood chip size matter ?
The first machine makes the chips verry small saw dust and the second machine makes the chips @ 2-3 cm thick(1-1,5 inch).

I also want to use the wood chips for heating and bigger pieces might stay dryer than smaller ones and burn better.
But the smaller chips would pass better through the auger feeder ( hopper) of the stove il build.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers