Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Deer suck  (Read 168 times)

TomekK

• Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Deer suck
« on: June 21, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
The fence is repaired for the first time in many years. The deer still came, jumping over the fence just as the beans started to flower heavily. Unlike squirrels and smaller pests, I cannot catch/shoot them. For now, the tomatoes and cucumbers are left alone. Of course, the tomatoes and cucumbers aren’t growing anyway, but still. And this is the first year I am actually weeding/taking care of the garden. Seems everything’s against me: first the weather, then the weather again, then bad seeds, and now deer.

This video I filmed yesterday shows the extent of the damage. Perhaps make yourself feel better about your own deer problems: you are not alone.

And please subscribe to my channel to make me feel better about my ruined garden. :)

https://youtu.be/4doQk1O_YgM

-Tomek

Jaboticaba45

• i hate squirrels
    • Ooltewah Tennesee, USA zone 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Deer suck
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »
I hate deer, but the squirrels make me rage.
Ryan

TomekK

• Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 02:42:08 PM »
At least one can get rid of squirrels. I have a natural deterrent: a family of foxes living nearby. They don’t get the chipmunks, though. And the deer are still uncontrollable.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »
I deter deer and rabbits from eating my plants by spraying the plants with a solution of three eggs to a gallon of water. You put the eggs in a blender with some tobasco sauce if you want a little extra kick, and dump it in your pump sprayer with gallon of water and spray on plants in spring when first showing new growth and this keeps deer and other critters away because they don’t want to eat rotten eggs. The egg solution will stay on plants for a month even with rain. Reapply again if needed. I’ve found that after my spring time spraying, I don’t have to reapply again until Fall. The deer know my yard “stinks” and my plants are “bad”, do they stop coming to eat them. Electric fence helps with bears.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers