Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Indoor lighting whats the best bang for the buck?  (Read 997 times)

Avoman

• usa,idaho,twin falls
    • View Profile
Re: Indoor lighting whats the best bang for the buck?
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »
The sec light came today its a dual cob unit and has a much better white light it is not dimmible which i dont want anyway, the fans are loud, other than that it seems good and price is right at 59 dollars includes shipping.will include some pictures

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »
What do you guys/gals think about LEDs on Quantum boards such as the HLG lights? Iíve been doing some serious reading on new light technology and the Quantum board LEDs have very high efficiency with a Photosynthetic Photon efficacy of around 2.00 umol/J or higher.

Iím just learning about this new technology and even data that is 1-2 years old can be considered out dated. From what I understand, these LEDs spread out on Quantum Boards reduce hot spots that can occur with COBs. Hot spots with significantly higher PPFD than surrounding areas still occur with QBs but it seems that the light is more evenly spread out.

Hereís some data that shows PPEs of various lighting technologies from Michigan State university. The technology is advancing so fast that the data may be outdated by the time you read this.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/floriculture/uploads/files/updateefficacy.pdf

Simon

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Today at 01:45:20 AM »
Toggled grow lights give u around 2.0 umol/J.
Check them out at toggled.com
They are 4í long, low heat spots.
They give better coverage than COB.

You can use them in your 4 fluorescent bulb fixture.
Just cut and discard the ballasts.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Today at 01:46:24 AM »
In my case, I wasn't willing to have fan noise since this light set-up is inside my house. The quantum boards are effectively just a COB light with a different lay out - instead of the diodes circling around a stalk and being reflected downward by the housing, the LEDs are directly facing down on a big fat panel. This is also good for cooling, since they aren't stacked all around each other. They are mounted to an extruded, anodized aluminum heat sink that gets better light distribution and cooling. A lot of the COB rigs are really expensive if you're buying them commercially a la Timber. Homebrew like Brad is pretty decent pricing.

With the two 260w boards I have, the boards and the heatsink barely get warm - it's just the driver that runs even slightly hot. It's kind of a bummer actually cause I wanted some ambient heating in my house from them...

There are so many ways to do this. You can even just buy some cheap fluorescent bulbs from Home Depot and have a bunch of little work lamp housings, which is probably sufficient and cheapest. I plan to use my lights for other endeavours later on, so I wanted something higher end than that, and also didn't want some weird aesthetic in the corner of my house... Though I guess it's still weird since it glows like the gotdamn sun.  8)

I missed your post earlier but from my recent internet searches, the Quantum Boards are amongst the best bang for your buck. There is a lot of miss leading information out there. Much of the information on the internet is from manufacturers that are trying to sell lights.

The newer LED lights are amongst the most expensive out there but calculated over the lifespan of the light fixture, including bulb replacement, the LEDs come out on top.

The newer LEDs also have a better Spectrum than HID, for plants. The newer LEDs have multiple bands or colors of LED diodes that combine to create a broad spectrum instead of high peaks at specific wavelengths like T5.

Metal Halides have a lot of Blue within the PAR Spectrum so this can help shorten internode length which may be beneficial if youíre trying to grow Avocado or Mangos. The issue with the old school Metal Halides is that they have significantly less photons in the red spectrum where much of the PAR lies.

The newer Ceramic Metal Halides have a better Spectrum with more red but the fixtures still produce a lot of heat although less than the older MHs.

There is also the double ended HPS that has better PPFD and efficiency than older single ended HPS but the newer LEDs including the newer COBs and SMDs have higher PPFD and efficiency.

The better LEDs will have some of the Infrared spectrum but from what I understand, it does not contain UV. The papers or videos I saw showed that T5, Metal Halide and HPS give off some UV but they are giving off UV A and the plants want more UV B. There was something being mentioned about a one to thirty ratio of UVB to UVA, respectively, that natural sunlight gives off but I donít remember the exact figures.

A lot of the information regarding UV requirements out there is geared towards growing medicinal flowers and the UV light is supposed to increase THC levels. More research needs to be done to see what role UV light plays in the everyday life of tropical fruit trees grown under artificial lighting.

Just to reiterate, I recently read most this info off the Internet. Some of the info came from Universities and a lot of the information came from YouTube videos so do your own research and take everything I wrote above with a grain or tablespoon of salt.

I was merely regurgitating info I recently acquired before I forget it. Please correct me if Iím wrong. Reading about new innovations in lighting technology was extremely interesting. The efficiency of the newer lighting sources has got me captivated.

Simon

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers