Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Longest Collapsible Fruit Picking Pole?  (Read 246 times)

JakeFruit

• Gulf Coast of Florida
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Longest Collapsible Fruit Picking Pole?
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »
Anybody have any recommendations? I'd like to get ~20' but I want a pole I can collapse and keep in my shed. I see several that fit the bill on Amazon, going from 6' to 24',  but the locking mechanism between each length looks suspect. I'm thinking a pole mean for changing light bulbs might not hold up to the task (for long).

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Collapsible Fruit Picking Pole?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
I use a pool cleaning pole and razor blade basket thing on the end.
Brad Spaugh

JakeFruit

• Gulf Coast of Florida
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:31:25 PM »
I use a pool cleaning pole and razor blade basket thing on the end.
Hmmm, good idea, I hadn't thought about those. What's the/a razor blade basket? All I've seen are the baskets with hooked wire frames.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 01:32:24 PM »
Go to Home Depot paint dept. there you will find a 3 part yellow extendable pole goes maybe 24. Get a clamp or 2 like they use for car hoses. Attach the cheaper red wire basket to the end of the pole with the clamps. I have been using this for 20 years. The very expensive end piece with basket will hold a lot of mangoes but you asked for a long rig. If you have it extended out because of leverage more than 2 fruits in the expensive picker will be toooo hard to bring down without them falling and the leverage weight will exhaust you. Maybe you should just lower your trees. If you do that then Id definitely recommend that super duper deluxe expensive picker because with a shorter stiffer pool pole you will be able to get a lot of fruit in the bag and have way better control. And with your height combined with the poles length you may not be able to get the cutting part of the expensive rig in its proper cutting position since it will be 30 feet up.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:45:26 PM by weiss613 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 02:39:52 PM »
I use the picker posted above called clip n pick.  It only works on fruit with long stems like avocado and mangos.

The pool cleaning pole clicks right into it.

https://www.groworganic.com/products/clip-n-pick-pruner-head-only
Brad Spaugh

JakeFruit

• Gulf Coast of Florida
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
I use the picker posted above called clip n pick.  It only works on fruit with long stems like avocado and mangos.

The pool cleaning pole clicks right into it.

https://www.groworganic.com/products/clip-n-pick-pruner-head-only
Ahhh, yes, that looks right for the purpose. i already purchased one of those traditional wire baskets with the hooks off Amazon for ~$18, it has a 3/4" screw-on. The 24' extendable poles I've been looking at all have a plastic 3/4" male end, lots of reviews talk about it snapping under pressure. I can probably rig it with a metal one if that happens, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on any one of them (cost is $50-$75).

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers