Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Real cherilata  (Read 876 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Real cherilata
« on: July 31, 2020, 03:45:39 PM »

Here are pix of the cherilata from Florida and mine:

Here is mine:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 08:09:33 PM by JF »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Real cherilata
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 09:20:49 PM »
Monster size real cherilata. With proper fertilizing, the taste is good and different from moyas and atemoyas. If you give 10 to Birula, this is a 7

Btw, i appreciate everyoneís interest in my Cherilata but I will not be selling scions until fall 2021 tree and grafts are too small. Thanks
Frank
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:56:06 PM by JF »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »
Frank,

Did you breed this fruit?

-Joe

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:41 PM »
Frank,

Did you breed this fruit?

-Joe

Hi Joe
I wish I did but I can not take credit, itís from a friend of mine. We have not named it.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:14 AM »
Interesting can your friend confirm what cultivars the parents are? I believe this is what you say it is and thus no need for the addition of ďrealĒ but also believe the the John painter cherilata is one as well..... Iím gonna go out on a limb here and assume that your friend bred a cherimoya from the C, D, E types below (see pic) with a white reticulata, Iím also gonna guess that John painter bred a cherimoya from the A, or B type see pic with a red fleshed reticulata this makes sense and why his is smooth skinned and red fleshed while the one you are showing is bumpy and white fleshed..... plus the added benefit of the mans word.... thus both exist as ďrealĒ

-Joe
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:55:17 AM by JoeP450 »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:25:47 AM »
We're gonna need a bigger sandbox

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »
If you give a Birula a 10 then the Florida cherilata is a 8.2 with proper fertilization

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
Joe, most likely a seed from fino or Dr. white cross with reticulate . John Travis hybridized anona is reticulate x cherimoya or Atemoya which equals a retimoya NOT a Cherilata. This is a true Cherilata ( cherimola x reticulata), cherimoyas don't preform well in Florida.....they probably flower and set fruits but end up dropping. I have friends in Miami growing cherimoyas and the results have been malformed inedible anonas.

Pierce is Accepted as the ultimate anona with a rating of 10 then the Cherilata is 5 and the JT retilata 3 or 4. Iíll compare the retilata vs Cherilata in a few year when i fruit both.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 02:33:52 PM »
Joe, most likely a seed from fino or Dr. white cross with reticulate . John Travis hybridized anona is reticulate x cherimoya or Atemoya which equals a retimoya NOT a Cherilata. This is a true Cherilata ( cherimola x reticulata), cherimoyas don't preform well in Florida.....they probably flower and set fruits but end up dropping. I have friends in Miami growing cherimoyas and the results have been malformed inedible anonas.

Pierce is Accepted as the ultimate anona with a rating of 10 then the Cherilata is 5 and the JT retilata 3 or 4. Iíll compare the retilata vs Cherilata in a few year when i fruit both.

Didn't the FL grower say in previous threads that it was (likely 'Spain') cherimola x 'Tikal' reticulata?

Jabba The Hutt

• United States, New York, Lockport, 6a moved to Florida/Pine Island, Bokeelia, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 12:33:47 AM »

Didn't the FL grower say in previous threads that it was (likely 'Spain') cherimola x 'Tikal' reticulata?

Yes... but for some reason it's constantly ignored.

Frank, I believe you are confusing John Travis Morton with John Painter unless he hybridized an annona as well?

LOLz John Painter's Cherilata a 3 or 4... ::)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 02:12:20 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=37339.0;all
Go ahead and read this thread reply#9 jabba
I think you are confusing johnís words: Tikal x cherimoya
Is that a cherilata? No, itís a retimoya
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:15:20 PM by JF »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 06:13:51 PM »
Confirmed: the FL cherilata from Painter's grove is cherimoya x reticulata. This means the seed came from a Florida grown cherimoya polinated with reticulata. Thus the name Cherilata. Best Annona I've had.

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »
There was a video of a John Painter Florida Cherilata posted to the "Grow all the fruits" forum on fb.  It looked totally different than what is in this thread, and was bright red (looked a lot like reticulata).  I have a cherilata tree with 1 small fruit in my backyard.  I am happy to sell scions if you are in N Orlando area.

Acetogenin

• USA, Orlando, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 07:29:05 PM »

Jabba The Hutt

• United States, New York, Lockport, 6a moved to Florida/Pine Island, Bokeelia, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 11:41:26 PM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=37339.0;all
Go ahead and read this thread reply#9 jabba
I think you are confusing johnís words: Tikal x cherimoya
Is that a cherilata? No, itís a retimoya

Confirmed: the FL cherilata from Painter's grove is cherimoya x reticulata. This means the seed came from a Florida grown cherimoya polinated with reticulata. Thus the name Cherilata. Best Annona I've had.

Frank, I'm not confusing his words... He says it is a Cherimoya x Reticulata not the other way around. True Cherilata!

I agree dwfl, best Annona I have had!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:07:34 AM »
Are you guys the spokesman for John? Shot( John Painter) words are engraved in the thread below if he wants to correct or clarify what he said in 2 separate replies let him speak for himself. With respect to the best annona you ever had, thats yr opinion which I put very little credence since you guys provide no references to which anonas you are comparing it to. I will judge for myself when I fruit it and compare it to my 50 varieties of anonas.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Today at 02:12:53 AM »

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 11:16:34 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=38917

Posts 8-11

Thanks Oolie. I thought John had already explained in a previous thread and there it is. It's good to clear this up for people who have received grafted plants.

Jabba The Hutt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 11:43:37 AM »
Are you guys the spokesman for John? Shot( John Painter) words are engraved in the thread below if he wants to correct or clarify what he said in 2 separate replies let him speak for himself. With respect to the best annona you ever had, thats yr opinion which I put very little credence since you guys provide no references to which anonas you are comparing it to. I will judge for myself when I fruit it and compare it to my 50 varieties of anonas.

Frank, John has stated here on this board, as Oolie just posted and dwfl have said, exactly what this hybrid is so not sure why you keep denying it.

I'm not twisting your arm behind your back trying to make you admit it is the best annona ever Frank, just stating my opinion as is dwfl, which happen to be just as valid as yours whether we have tried 5,000 annonas or just that one. Why so condescending man?  :o

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 07:13:21 PM »
"Retimoya" is a good, useful word.  I am not aware that "retilata" is a useful word---  the middle sylable dropped out of "reticulata"--- what could that mean?
Har

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Today at 08:22:01 PM »

Frank, John has stated here on this board, as Oolie just posted and dwfl have said, exactly what this hybrid is so not sure why you keep denying it.

I'm not twisting your arm behind your back trying to make you admit it is the best annona ever Frank, just stating my opinion as is dwfl, which happen to be just as valid as yours whether we have tried 5,000 annonas or just that one. Why so condescending man?  :o

Me denying what? Did you read my post? Iím referring to what John painter said or did you miss that? Let me cut & paste it or you :

Reply # 4 from John Painter
Tikal reticulata X cherimoya cross ,red firm flesh,raspberry overtone flavor.Best quality fruit is in Winter and Spring in Florida.

Reply#9 from John Painter

I did that cross back in 2003 almost lost all do to 2004 hurricane charley 150mph+.It is Tikal reticulata X cherimoya cross.I have done atemoya and reticulata cross also so far not as good.

I saw oliveís post from John conversation with Har i got it. I just wanted clarification from him since he contradicted himself. Johnís hybrid appears to be a red reticulata but the leaves are almost identical to my cherilata. You have every right to yr opinion and I said that but after many year of tasting and growing dozens of anonas Iíve develop a more sophisticated palate then most ..... if you wanna get all worked up and call that condescending so be it, yr entitled to yr opinion.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers