Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: My mango amateur diary!  (Read 4933 times)

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • United Kindom, Zone 9a. Eat for your organs, not your taste buds.
    • View Profile
My mango amateur diary!
« on: August 30, 2020, 09:42:39 PM »
Please note: please take this with a pinch of salt, as I am inexperienced and I am properly growing these for the first time!!

30/08/2020

Osteen mango brought

only £39.95/53.28$ + about £10/$13.34 for Postage!!

https://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Mango-Tree/

I will see how this will do do as less risky as from UK environent
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:52:44 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
Re: My mango amateur diary!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:19:00 PM »
31/08/2020

Will use Baby Bio citrus spray once a month May-August for baby monoembreyonic Chaunsa and nothing on the Osteen just in case it fruits.
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 11:42:04 PM »
01/09/2020

Buy some seaweed feed nearer the time of May 2021 to fertilize monthly in between the Citrus feed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/28015385009?iid=282951145942

''Seaweed contains almost every micro-nutrient in a fully chelated (immediately available) form. It is also full of carbohydrates, which plants use as a building block. Seaweed has 60 trace minerals and ready-to-use nutrients including nitrogen, potassium, phosphate, calcium, boron, potash and magnesium''

https://www.fruithillfarm.com/info/2018/11/what-is-seaweed-fertilizer/#:~:text=Seaweed%20contains%20almost%20every%20micro,%2C%20boron%2C%20potash%20and%20magnesium.

I could find a low- nitrogen feed to help the Osteen over summer. Phospohorus pormotes bigger fruit.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:44:21 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 12:26:54 PM »
01/09/2020

Buy some seaweed feed nearer the time of May 2021 to fertilize monthly in between the Citrus feed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/28015385009?iid=282951145942

''Seaweed contains almost every micro-nutrient in a fully chelated (immediately available) form. It is also full of carbohydrates, which plants use as a building block. Seaweed has 60 trace minerals and ready-to-use nutrients including nitrogen, potassium, phosphate, calcium, boron, potash and magnesium''

https://www.fruithillfarm.com/info/2018/11/what-is-seaweed-fertilizer/#:~:text=Seaweed%20contains%20almost%20every%20micro,%2C%20boron%2C%20potash%20and%20magnesium.

I could find a low- nitrogen feed to help the Osteen over summer. Phospohorus pormotes bigger fruit.

Looks good. Are you growing it in a small greenhouse?

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 07:24:50 PM »
Thank you :D, yup Iíll put the Osteen in a plastic greenhouse with a prpogatoion mat heater.
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
1/2 sep

I spent a lot of time setting up plastic greenhouses for Osteen. Attached foil insulation to back wall. Sellotaped all joints. And propagation heat mat. Saw video of someone fruiting 2/3 years polyembreyonic seed. My only general option would be to grow Ataulfo seed if it sold in summer. Mango plants enjoyed sunshine today.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:23:46 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:35:28 PM »
2/09/20

-->I was told that the origin for the word Mango means Man ''Goes'' (Excretetion) due to high fibre content when they eat it!

-->I like the smell of the mango peel even more than the flesh as its so divine and aromatic and no tartness.

-->I wonder if I could make mango cordial by boiling the fresh juice with sugar for a while.
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »
2/3 Sep

Glances at the Chaunsa toddler mango plants and wondered how long it will be before the stems start to get crusty and brown like a tree. I don't think it take years.

Also observed that the leaves of supposedly matured leaves have actually expanded(grown bigger) recently. Perhaps this is owing to the Citrus feed I gave.

I think its is possible to increase the height for the plant by wrapping around a sheet(like a tube) around the plant making it grow up when it tries to reach the light. Handy if for some reason I want to increase the length of plant. Shame we can't do anything easily about height increase for humans!

Leaf size of the plant is connected to the size of the pot. Small pot(really small pot)  makes smaller leaves. N.B picture has two separate plants in smaller pot!!

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 07:44:23 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 08:18:34 AM »
How interesting. Will you guys get enough sun where you are? UK means a lot of things, You could be in London, Bermuda, the Falklands...

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 11:43:36 AM »
How interesting. Will you guys get enough sun where you are? UK means a lot of things, You could be in London, Bermuda, the Falklands...

Thanks! 😊 Iím in the South east of England and may have to resort purchasing a gro light!
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 11:49:30 AM »
3/9/20

Made a Bombay sandwich, a spicy cheese, tomato and onion toastie which involves dry raw mango powder!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:15:56 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »
Strange leaf

I noticed the two of the leaves of a Chaunsa mango plant have a curvy shape. One looks chewed off(though I'm quite sure its not) and the other looks like a curved edge. Mutation or the leaf-synthesising molecules were having a bad day? Hmm.

Time for Mumbai!
[/u]

Introducing the Bombay Sandwhich, a spicy take on a regular cheese Toastie and a yummy way to use up  dry raw Mango powder (aks ''Amchoor'')

P.S. If you do not like coriander or Indian food(spice) or cheese or bread do NOT make or bother looking!!

In finding ways to use mango in dishes, there is a product called Mango powder or Aamchur/Amchoor which you could make yourself or buy(normally used in Indian dishes), and this Mumbai Sandwich is one of my favourite things to make becuase of all the different flavours and textures involved. If you like eating the simple cheese toastie and don't mind spicy flavours (Make without chilli if you want no hotness), I recemmend you give this a try. The crunch from the onions, the soft mushy tomato slices,(to cut the richness of the cheese), the thick creamy melted cheese, the cool aromatic minty coriandery sauce and the crispy bread and peppery chilli (I only get mild and normally remove the seeds). What more could you ask for?

I'm not actually of fan of cooking, though, you know if I could I would hire a chef, for about £30K a year. I just think cooking, though joyful, as you are creating something delightful is just a waste of time and effort! Imagine that 1-1  1/2 hours everyday to be freed up to do something else.  8) If someone just handed the final dish on a plate, would that not be preferable! Though their version may be a bit different and not as ideal as the one you make yourself.

For now though, I continue to cook myself as the pleasure of the final work of art is gratifying And eating in the restaurant, you only taste less than 1% of the potential different meals that exist.

The Mango powder is simply mixed with cinnamon cumin and black pepper powders and sprinkled onto the toastie.
The mango powder is also used in curries and other dishes which I have not really looked into.

This is the recepie I make by ''Manika Gowardhan''.

https://maunikagowardhan.co.uk/cook-in-a-curry/mumbai-chilli-cheese-sandwich/

Though I only use a handful of mint leaves than the 100g measurement shes given as it becomes too pungent. And half the coriander(100g) makes enough sauce.  There is also still a lot of green sauce normally left over  so it would be worth making some extra sandwiches. I never actually eat it with ketchup. I also put in oven as don't have available Toaster machine. The mango powder doesn't form a strong flavour in the meal, but I though it would be nice to put up.

Mango powder available from good South Asian grocery stores(or made).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 01:51:08 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 03:36:49 PM »
Mini Mango'd

''Jurrasicfruit'' selling Mini Ataulfo and Mini Irwin mangos in Europe. Cute novelty or gift! (though I'd probaby just buy the larger ones)

https://www.jurassicfruit.com/en/category/all?name=mango

With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 07:31:16 PM »
5/09/20

Wondering how many years a plant could last on soil, depending purely on the nutrients in the soil. Maybe 100 years till the minerals and nutrients run out?
With compliments

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 07:59:44 PM »
5/09/20

Wondering how many years a plant could last on soil, depending purely on the nutrients in the soil. Maybe 100 years till the minerals and nutrients run out?

Longer if you have dragonflies to fertilize

Took these today after work made me think of mangomadness appreciation for dragonflies
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 08:03:05 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Little Gem Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS Phoenix Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 08:26:12 PM »
wow that's so interesting!! haha yes they are very elegent creatures and nice stylish decoration on their body!  :D Have a great night!

:)
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 03:04:24 PM »
5/09/20

Tempted to fertilize mango plants more in order to make them grow more/flourish/get bigger but read in many places that not to do in winter. I should and have stopped the Citrus feed in the end of August.

Though Miraclegro just say water plants it every 2 weeks and they are all-purpose(so for ''all plants'')

MiracleGro say they double the plants size or blooms and I wonder if I did feed one mango plant vs no fertilizer would it make it mature in 1/2 the time too

Ordered 150L of compost for only £10(great value!!) + £7.95 delivery.

Still waiting for Osteen to come!! It should be up to 10 days.

Just saw a picture of Kesar/description on the internet and really feel like eatin' it!!  :'( loooooooool
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:41:04 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 05:20:35 PM »
Wondering if I put food colouring to plants the leaves would change colour. Funky stuff!
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »
Learnt in Chemistry A-level that Ester chemicals are what are responsible for the aroma of many tropical fruits. Thank you, Ester!

Also, there are over 270 volatile compounds in a mango.

4-hydroxy-2,5-dimethyl-3(2H)-furanone=major contributor to the sweet note in the mango aroma

ethyl butanoate= main source of the mangoís fruity aroma

and

γ-octalactone(Lactone compound) =  coconut-like note to the aroma

I would like a scientist to whip up a few of these chemicals for me to drink! Max flavour!

Picture is of ethyl butanoate.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:14:48 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 08:43:39 PM »
My favourite mango flavour is ''Sweet, aromatic, Indian flavour''. That was used to describe Neelam on a Truly Tropical video. So I believe I would like Neelam very much.

Truly Tropical videos are quite nice to watch and give a pleasent information about mango varieties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUCEoCadFHk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:00:56 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »
06/09/20

An easy and healthy mango recepie is just blend plain yogurt(organic if you can so the cows havent been fed hormones?) with mango flesh. Make sure the mango is really sweet to avoid adding sugar.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:16:02 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 02:48:05 PM »
If I could I would make a greenhouse the size of the tropical greenhouse at Kew Gardens, grow all  Kesars and eat the fruit all meals through summer. 8)

Added a clear bin bag around a chaunsa to keep it toasty. Not yet time for them to go into the heated plastic greenhouse, Picture later.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 03:02:32 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
Finished plastic greenhouse with foil setup. Covered one Chaunsa plant with clear bin bag

Went on google to try and find nam doc mai for sale in uk, so I can try it, and pleased to find a website myexoticfruit.com. However when checked, they were sold out.🙁 will keep trying!

Aha! I will ask the waitresses at the Thailand restaurant where I can get Thailand mangos. Also good reason to treat myself to a Thai green vegetable curry+ egg fried rice!!🥂

Disheartened to see no mango emoji on phone. I thought it was the king of fruits⁉️
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 05:41:59 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 11:20:07 AM »
Thought I would decdicated this post towards,  ''Praxxus55712'' on youtube, though he doesn't know me. I would like to thank him for being the first person to inspiring me to gow mangos. His video was friendly, pleasent and easy to understand. After watching it in 2015 I grew 25 mango trees !(From the seed) each in buckets. Unfortunately after September they all slowly one by one died, some weaker and earlier and some stronger and died later. I thought it was anthracnose after I researched it as the leaves went brown so I brought some blue spray, but they still died. I assumed it must be the temperature. But now I suspect it may have also been becuase the seed itself hadn't developed fully. I grew mango plants againa few years ago and they survived until April the following year.

Thank, Praxxus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bld9J9zrdXE

Pictures form 2015.

I notice the leaf shape is different to the mango plants I have now. Obviously they were different seeds planted eg Alphonso, Kesar or other mangos.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 01:39:43 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• 🍍🍉 🍊 🍌 🍇
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2020, 11:43:51 AM »
My Osteen is on its way!!

''Your order is on the way, and can no longer be changed.

The following are on their way to you...

# 1 x Mango Tree

------------

Just saw this picture and it made me think like WOW

https://www.dawn.com/news/1014713

-----------------

Considering whether I should prune the mango tree thats coming. Its height will be about 3 feet tall.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:10:39 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers