Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: My mango amateur diary!  (Read 1802 times)

mangomadness

• I like mangos,water-lillies & Amazon parrots!
    • United Kindom, Zone 9a. Eat for your organs, not your taste buds.
    • View Profile
Re: My mango amateur diary!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 03:40:35 PM »
Noticed a matured leaf of bin bagged chaunsa plant has become quite large today.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:56:19 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 04:47:16 PM »
I donít think you need to prune, considering they struggle to grow or grow slow there, they would not need pruning to control height. I reason potted mangoes die is overwatering so make sure the soil mix is very well draining.

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
I donít think you need to prune, considering they struggle to grow or grow slow there, they would not need pruning to control height. I reason potted mangoes die is overwatering so make sure the soil mix is very well draining.

Thank you Sir! Right now there seems to be growth of new leave level in a few of them, this may be still due to the warm climate. Will investigate the soil mix as right now its just compost.
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
I completely tied up the bin bag so its sealed around the pot rather than hanging down with air in between it.

I did this for warmth and maybe some humidity. When I did this last time a few summers ago the weather was hot it was so hot with the plastic that it quickly grew out new leaves.

I do need to keep an eye on it though as  another time e I left it like that for a while and forgot about  it became so steamy. and the water vapour just coated the inner surface of the bag the plants just rotted

=======

When the mango tree comes, I will give it a hug!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:32:27 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »

With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »

If it can grow so big in a narrow pot, how big could it be with a bigger one! Impressive!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:54:39 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2020, 05:58:51 PM »
 Spent a while editing the plastic greenhouse. The nursery had said that the mango tree was 3 feet tall, but actually the tree itself is 3 feet making the total height abut 5 feet. So I had to rework the whole greenhouse, designing it so it will be much taller for the mango tree to grow in.

The plant pot is quite heavy so won't be able to put it into the greenhouse yet. I think it'll be ok for one night.

Asked the Thailand restaurant staff where I can eat a Thailand mango and they said it would be in a Chinese shop. Of cousse, now there are no stock as the planes are not flying in.

On the left is a Chaunsa plant covered with the clear bin bag.

Will be posting in the same post by Modifying so there are fewer pages of this thread. (Updates to the post may not show up on the feed)
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2020, 06:27:31 PM »
Will post as a new post as it just seems better.

Noticed some cosmetic damage on some of Osteen's leaves. Quite saddened to see this and hope it can grow some fresh new healthy leaves.

Clearly this damage is not from the journey. I wonder what it was, maybe an insect chewed it.

In comparison to the Chaunsa youngin's their leaves look so much healthier and fresh and bold. Hopefully I  get Osteen up to the same standard. Finger's crossed.

Also I notice the shade of green is different to the Chaunsa and the Osteen. They are darker deep green and the Osteen is lighter green. I assume that the Osteen is grafted and had a look for the graft but
couldn't see it.
The soil for the Osteen just looks like normal soil. Will have to look into that.

I'm going to play a trick on the mango tree. Is it ethical? I'm going to make them think that they are in a tropical hot country.

My hallway looks like a tropical jungle.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 08:19:26 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 09:03:02 PM »
Currently on the look out for a 0, P, K fertilizer for the Osteen.
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 05:02:29 PM »
I am slightly worried because today a saw a few leaves have drooped down. Yesterday only one set of leaves was droopy. Th plant had stayed all night in the distribution centre so this may have been the cause for the first limpiness.

Saw in Marks and Spencers(supermarket) that they are selling Keitt mangoes from the Dominican Republic and Brazil. Then in Waitrose supermarket they are selling Kent mangoes from Israel.

I need to try the Kent ones as I have seen it before but never tried it.

Spent a lot of time on maintainence for the partial diy greenhouse as the weight of the height mat dragged the whole thing down. I used sellotape to go over all the bars joining to the plastic greenhouse, I ran out of sellotape(whole roll was spent on this greenhouse!!) and had to use a new one, though it was not as ''expensive'' it was rather effective.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:04:28 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 06:01:22 PM »
Had a look at the soil for the Osteen and noticed it had some brown hay/fibrey bits(similar to coconut husk fibre) mixed in with some small gravel pieces.

Maybe I can ask the company what soil they gave to their mango trees.

The plastic greenhouse will keep the mango plant safe from any harsh draughts, but will not do very much to increase the temperature.

My to do list for next summer, is to grow a Polyembreyonic Ataulfo mango plant, that is, if they sell the fruits in the supermarket like this year, and also to try a Himsagar mango from the Bangladeshi supermarket. Furthermore, to try some south East Asian mangos hopefully selling in the chinese shops. If I can find a Nam Doc Mai I would like to grow that from seed too as it is polyembreyonic.

My to do list now is to try the Kent mango at some point.

The number of plants that I can potentially grow from seed are these:

Keitt
Kent
Palmer
Chaunsa
Kesar
Alphonso
Himsagar
Ataulfo
Oriental mangos

Of those I have grown 4 Chaunsa, and 1 Kesar. The kesar is growing from a seed that accidently half broke when I was trying to look at it, its very small with a few tiny leaves.

I would like to ideally grow all of them so I can compare the shape of their leaves, and if they do fruit later, see how their genes combine. That will be an adventure!

However I have recently seen that the child of an Indian mango Mulgoba has a classic mango taste, and right now I so am not so fond of that taste, though I have only tasted 2 classic mango, the Keitt and Ataulfo. The Ataulfo, I tasted which I preferred more than the Keitt also has a classic taste. Though at the moment, I am reallly fond of the Indian mango taste, so I do not know if growing monoembreyonic Indian mango trees would be a good idea, as their kids may not taste like an ''Indian mango.''

I will not expect any fruit from monoembreyonic seedlings until 2030.(If they survive, that is.)  I am growing these just for the sake of growing some exotic plants, and becuase I have propigated them, so let them grow.

They are selling Egyptian mangoes on red rickshaw.  They said they taste rich and sweet like. Chainsa honey mangos.  It is called Owais. It says there are 15 mango cultivated in Egypt, including Zebdea which is buttery and sugary.

https://www.redrickshaw.com/blogs/blog/egyptian-mangoes
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:01:02 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2020, 09:20:18 AM »
Interesting. Sorry I didn't read fully what you wrote. Hope it is all about growing Osteen ms indoor. These days July to September London should be 'flooded' with Osteen ms from the neighboring Spain. How much for box these days?

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »
Hi, yes, I've heard Osteen grow in Spain, I've never seen them sold in real life, though, I may find them now that I have become more mango observant. I couldn't find any on the internet either. What I wrote above is mainly about other mango varieties and my plans/ideas.Is Osteen your favourite?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 11:52:10 AM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »
I brought Kent mango from Waitrose. Its green and tough and quite smaller than the other big  mangos. It has no smell. I saw on the internet that if a fruit doesn't smell on the outside it won't be that flavourful on the inside. I was charged £1.50 for it.

I received a reply from the garden centre, who said that the Osteen plant is about 3 years old.

Repotted one of the Chaunsa that was in the small pot. Noticed a strange leaf on the Osteen.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:59:42 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »
Kent from Israel taste-test

the store's description of the mango is ''fragrant, sweet flesh'' and it is described as a 'speciality mango'.

The first flavour I got was like just eating a peach. Though I haven't really eaten peaches much apart from in tins, I have eaten peach flavoured food. The second taste I got was pretty much like an Alphonso. Evidence that this must have some Indian mango in its genes. the third taste I got was like a classic mango and some tartness. The person I ate it with said it was like a papaya. An example of how different experiences can happen with the same mango by different people.

The texture was silky with no fibre. 6.5/10

i was quite impressed with this mango. It is from a high-end supermarket.

----------

I need to come up with  plan to water my plants. I think once a week in winter is ok. Every 5 days in Autum.i can put it in my Google Calender.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:28:28 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2020, 04:52:00 PM »
Osteen's looking a bit sad, not ill but just down. I noticed two leaves have dried up. Fed it a bit of Baby Bio Houseplant. Let's see if it looks any better. Gardencentre replied and said that the mangos have been growing outside since July, and are now going under protection. They also said that a well-draining compost would be ok. I don't plan on repotting it any time soon, so I still have enough time to research the soil.

I repotted the other small pot Chaunsa into a bucket.

Saw that they are selling Keitt mangos at Morrisons supermarket. They are also selling Keitt in Lidl supermarket. Keitt seems to be quite popular here! I wonder why it was chosen.

I have found a really nice 0-10-10 fertiiizer. It is non-nitrogen and its for Bonsais. I think I will use it alongside the seaweed fertilizer in the summer.

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/nitrogen-free-bonsai-fertilizer-0-10-10

I'm sure a mango diet, just eating only mangos for a week would be great fun, and helping lose some weight. That's one regime I wouldn't mind to follow!

I wouldn't be confident with the Osteen mango plant until I see some new growth.

Delighted to see in a mango family tree by GeorgeMessiha http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=40647.0

that Osteen is a grandchild of Mulgoba.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:54:32 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2020, 08:30:14 PM »
                       Mangos that...don't taste like a mango?/Have other flavours

When I first read about a mango variety called ''Bailey's Marvel'' I actually thought that it was a mango that tasted like Bailey's Irish Cream Liquer!(Irish dairy cream, rich chocolate and vanilla flavours)  hmmm. Going a bit off topic here, I wish they made a non alcoholic version of Bailey's liquer so I could binge-drink it.

I have noticed that there are many mangos which are named, and I presume taste like several other fruits or foods. I thought I would collect a list of them so you can choose what mango to eat depending on your mood:

Buttercream
Coconut cream
Cotton candy
Fruit cocktail(Zill 28-18)
Fruit Punch
Guava
Honey Kiss
Honey mango(Chaunsa)
Honey(Zill-318)
Ice Cream
Juicy Peach
Lemon Meringue(Po Pyu Kalay)
Lemon Zest
Orange Essence
Orange Sherbet
Peach
Peach Cobbler
Pina Colada
Pineapple Pleasure
Sugar Loaf

Now that's quite the flavour collection! Which one is your fav? Is I were to taste Florida mangos, these ones would most certainly be on my list!

Thanks to Tropical Acres Farm for mango Data
https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/mangos

---------------

Just realised that Egyption mangos, are not anything new for those interested in mangos as they already grew them at Tropical Acres Farms. Whoopsie!

Just discovered that the Egyption mango on sale Owais is polyembreyonic, so it would be a good one to grow. Best to buy it in the summer, when its hot.

Curious to know about ''Zill''. I know he is a person, with a centre, and has many mangos called ''Zill''.

Omg Walter Zill wrote a book?? Now this, must be huge.

There are some people in the world who dedicate their whole life to mangos. I respect them, as they know how to appreciate beautiful things.

Tc!!

--------------------

Maybe if I grow mango seeds maybe a new yummy variety might come out, I would label it ''Godesss'' Haha!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 09:15:07 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
                                               Brazilian Mango (?) Taste-Test

When I saw this mango I immeadiately thought it was a Pakistani mango, as it looked like it and there were boxes of mangos nearby called ''Honey mangos'' from Lahore Pakistan.

So I brought the mango. However it had a sticker that said ''product of Brazil''

The mango smelled lightly like a classic mango and piney.

The taste I got from it was really piney like a Indian/Pakistani mango. And classic mango style. I didn't get any honey notes or immense sweetness. The texture was a bit fluffy or fibrey.

This must be a mango of Brazil than a Chaunsa or Pakistani Honey mango (though it looks like it). I'm not sure what species of Brazil this is, it might have been worth asking at the time.

the mango cost £2/$2.56

Rating 5/10 sorry!

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 04:14:52 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 03:59:30 PM »
--> Very pleased to find an appropriate 0-10-10 fertilizer. Now time to research well-drained soil.
-->Nursery said that the Osteen came from Spain in July.
-->A bit upset by today's mango testing
With compliments

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 04:59:22 PM »
-->I wonder if I could make mango cordial by boiling the fresh juice with sugar for a while.
This recipe uses a quick extraction with cut fruit and Cachaca/rum then the same fruit to make a syrup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm3LTI5Buts

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »
-->I wonder if I could make mango cordial by boiling the fresh juice with sugar for a while.
This recipe uses a quick extraction with cut fruit and Cachaca/rum then the same fruit to make a syrup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm3LTI5Buts

With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
Received two ready ripe Keitt Brazil mangoes from Asda(run by Walmart) grocery. Will taste soon.

Considering giving away some mango tree s away. 4 is too much to look after! /1 seedling is ok
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:20:25 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »
Now there is 1000 views to the posts! w.o.w! Thank you so much for reading my ''Mango amatuer Diary''! I do hope whether you are a novice or a proffessional, that it has had a positive effect on you. That it has inspired you to try some horticulture for yourself if you have never done, or simply cheered you up a bit if  you are feeling down.

To celebrate, I am posting one of my favourite video channels on youtube, that personify fruits! You may have heard of it, Annoying Orange is one of the most funnest videos I have seen, with millions of viewers. If you ever wanted to know what a Mango is like personified, and can feel pain, it is shown in this video along with some funny puns. It always almost makes me feel like not cutting a mango again!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UG1g13wvLY

There are many fruits(and foods) in this channel, each has its own character and the Orange fruit is the protagonist of the series.

Videos of your favourite tropical fruits:

Pineapple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UaZ9gHr0UQ
Passion fruit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InhbSdcNBZw
Papaya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHC6AVikKOQ&t=77s
Avocado: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwnX_0zEGgw&t=7s
Cocounut(amd banana and lime) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wQUW7Jsxs0
Banana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-20SE_Wtc8
Watermelon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_qq22rpng
Durian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOqHL4xlyhA

Citrus:

Grapefruit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56SA_C9o9VU
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE-KFNO6pE0

Lemon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFZtOk42ets

(other produce):

Cucumber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C41IBSKGF4w
Jalapeno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87UVT_jhUPE
Crabapple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTiFml51wWI
Pumpkin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKpFS9GsInk
Tomato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjAsJfz9dBc
Apple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN5PoW7_kdA
Potato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTNdxOKZiQ
Cabbage (and celary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcRguMhpQPQ&t=11s
Brocolli: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJK5xFqm7Q
Walnut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRvTCu9Ej-8
Pistachio:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLStid2uW0Q&t=1s

Thanks again!

EDIT: OMG I'm a senior member too! Now, that cheered me up!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:33:35 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2020, 06:11:02 PM »
                                                   Keitt taste-testing

Smell of skin is aromatic, similar to the smell of a mango leaf which I had mushed up a while ago.

Flesh was light and soft, hairless.
Had a classic mango flavour with mango aroma, and some tartness and lot of sweetness.
An observation is the top of the mango is tapered, that is joined with the branch. normally I see it is flat,and in young developing mangoes it is tapered.

6/10

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:20:39 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2020, 12:49:13 AM »
                                                     Thoughts of the day

~~~~~~I would like Zill or his Associates to go to India and do experimenting there, it would be interesting to see what he comes up with using the varieties found there.

~~~~~~I wonder if Osteen is an appropiate gender neutral name for mango tree as it is a hermaphrodite.

~~~~~~I wish Litchis/Lychees had a thicker flesh so I could sink my teeth into that jelly-like pefumey aroma.

~~~~~~I'm in the mood for some Dragon fruit, shame I probably won't find any.

~~~~~~I think the mango's shape inspires this design used in dresses:

~~~~~~I think the Osteen tree is starting to see a better day. Its leaves don't all look droopy now.

~~~~~~I wish I were living in a tropical country and had lots of land so I could grow tons of monoembreyonic seeds (10 of each of some selected species) so I can find a new gene combo and a new popular variety!!

~~~~~~I once had a banana tree called ''Monkey Business''. It was reddish coloured really nice, but it died :'(

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:54:30 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers