Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: My mango amateur diary!  (Read 1803 times)

mangomadness

• I like mangos,water-lillies & Amazon parrots!
    • United Kindom, Zone 9a. Eat for your organs, not your taste buds.
    • View Profile
Re: My mango amateur diary!
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2020, 10:40:23 PM »
I was delighted to see pineapple plants in the supermarket Morrisons. I have never seen  them in real life before and when I saw them from behind, I actually thought the little pineapples were fake and just for show!! But it is real, costing 12.86$ or 10. Quite good for an exotic plant and comes with a free pineapple fruit!

The weather here is very warm and sunny so I am sure the Mango plants are all lovin' it.

Saw a video of a spider coming out of a banana and now I'm scared of bananas O_o

I think I should start reading books on mango growing.

I know this is a mango diary, but I'd really like to share something about bananas, if thats ok.

I really like eating this banana recepie, it so sweet and rich that I have it rarely!

Just cook some banana slices with butter and sugar for a few minutes(the sugar is supposed to ''caramelise'' but I can never tell if it has) and voila! A delicious banana treat/snack/desert.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:03:53 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

TheFlyingFarmer

• Miami, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2020, 05:18:24 AM »
I was delighted to see pineapple plants in the supermarket Morrisons. I have never seen  them in real life before and when I saw them from behind, I actually thought the little pineapples were fake and just for show!! But it is real, costing 12.86$ or 10. Quite good for an exotic plant and comes with a free pineapple fruit!

The weather here is very warm and sunny so I am sure the Mango plants are all lovin' it.

Saw a video of a spider coming out of a banana and now I'm scared of bananas O_o

I know this is a mango diary, but I'd really like to share something about bananas, if thats ok.

I really like eating this banana recepie, it so sweet and rich that I have it rarely!

Just cook some banana slices with butter and sugar for a few minutes(the sugar is supposed to ''caramelise'' but I can never tell if it has) and voila! A delicious banana treat/snack/desert.

if you like bananas, look up "bananas foster" recipes. its an easy desert and one of my personal favorites.

been reading this thread everyday at work, one of my favorites. goodluck on your mango btw, i know how disheartening it can be to buy a new plant and it starts to look unhealthy. ive learned that alot of times i tend to micro manage my plants and thats the cause of most of my problems. kinda just gotta let the plant do what it does. itll usually sort itself out. that being said i do live in south florida so the climate is almost ideal for mango growing. so take what i say with a grain of salt.

really looking foward to seeing how your tree progresses, goodluck.

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 05:52:04 PM »

if you like bananas, look up "bananas foster" recipes. its an easy desert and one of my personal favorites.

been reading this thread everyday at work, one of my favorites. goodluck on your mango btw, i know how disheartening it can be to buy a new plant and it starts to look unhealthy. ive learned that alot of times i tend to micro manage my plants and thats the cause of most of my problems. kinda just gotta let the plant do what it does. itll usually sort itself out. that being said i do live in south florida so the climate is almost ideal for mango growing. so take what i say with a grain of salt.

really looking foward to seeing how your tree progresses, goodluck.

Thanks for the Foster recepie, cinnamon and the other ingredients are a great flavourful addition to the banana mix!! also, i'm delighted and humbled to hear that you liked my posts   :D  Thank you for your word of encouragement and pointers with regards to mango trees. You're right. I do believe the plants will sort itself out after some time. Just have to be patient. :)
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »
Fruit trees are amazing things. I mean, they pretty much convert brown muck into divine, edible fruity lumps! Genius!

Mango trees(In fact all fruits and produce plants/trees), to me are like a ''gift'' from Mother Nature. Especially established ones. -You could just leave them on their own and do nothing and you would randomly get free fruits!(No tax paid!)Nice generosity! I so need an orchard.

I read on the internet that some research shows that plants can feel pain!! Oh no :(

------

There's some strange plants growing out of Osteen's plant pot.(a bonus plant!! lol) I wonder what is in there!

Photo of the Osteen. One leaf is actually pointing upwards but it half dried. So far I think it has lost about 2/3 leaves.

The Chaunsa in the bin bag is finalising its new leave layer. Well done, Chaunsa! In the middle it has new miniscule leaves pointing upwards, but the tips are black and look dried up.

Another Chaunsa starting a new leaf layer. Woop woop!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:18:47 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »
                                                     ''Fazli'' from Egypt taste-test.

I was delighted to find ''Fazli'', a famous mango commonly available in West Bengal, India and Bangladesh, for sale in a Bangladeshi shop. Interestingly, this variety was actually grown  (and shipped) from Egypt.

The colour was a lovely green shade and there were different sizes. The skin was not very scented. The flesh, after cutting open was very smelly, highly aromatic like a magic flower of some sort. Then when I ate it it was like a Kesar (or Indian mango) with a beautiful aroma similar to the zest/peel  of a Bangladeshi lime, Citron Limon Dimante(?) (that was being sold in the same shop), but without the lemony flavour. (The lime is called 'Jara lebu'.) Then towards the end I got some classic mango flavour and some tartness on some pieces.

Overall, I feel that the flavour is  a classic mango and Kesar  mango combined 50:50, with some bold flowery fragrances.

my personal rating = 6.5/10

The aromas  lingering in my mouth do tempt me to have another one.

I would be very interested to also taste a Fazli grown in Bangladesh or West Bengal, and see if there are any differences to the one I tasted from Egypt.

A ''Jara Lebu'' Citron Limon Dimante(I think?) lime

----------------------

I wasn't sure if the Egyption-grown Fazli I tasted was polyembreyonic or not, as the South Asian mangoes are normally monoembreyonic, yet a mango in Egypt called Owais is polyembreyonic. I opened up the husk and to my surprise saw a millipede-like structure joint to the bean. It was the roots already growing!!
 Impressed, by its thirst for life, I decided to plant it. I will keep the pot on top of the boiler unit or the fridge to ensure it keeps warm as its now autumn/fall. ( I can't guarantee the Mediterranean weather to last for a long time.)

And the seed was monoembreyonic.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:08:31 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
Growing a mango tree in England, that is something interesting. 
Blessed are all who fear the LORD,
    who walk in obedience to him.
You will eat the fruit of your labor;
    blessings and prosperity will be yours.

Psalms 128

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 04:17:58 PM »
Growing a mango tree in England, that is something interesting.

Thanks!! Love the toucan!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:26:11 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 04:56:05 PM »
                                                           Time for a drink!

Considering making ''Mango lassi''([Mango pulp+ yogurt+ milk]--> Blended!!), using mango pulp in tins. These are a great source of mangos when its not mango season.(Found in International section of supermarket). I'd have to make and drink lots of this lassi though, as its a huge tin.

https://groceries.asda.com/search/mango%20pulp

I don't have a recepie for this drink, as I've only made it once, and probably would'nt bother measuring as if you want, you can decide how much of each ingredient you want. I noticed that in Cook ''Maunika Gowardhan'''s recepie for mango lassi she adds crushed Caradoms's inner seeds(I must try this) for flavour and garnishes with broken pistachios.

I researched ''perlite'' after reading a post. - It is made of volcano rock, looks like gravel and helps contribute to well drained soil. Perhaps I can add this to the compost in the mango plant's pots. (That could be what  the gravel-like bits in the Osteen's soil are!) Maybe they are called Pe(a)rlite because they are white and small like pearls.

I might also invest in some rice husk too, to spread on top, as that will help store the water for the plant.

I I just drank some turmeric, honey and garlic juice blended in a Nutribullet. Not for the faint-hearted!

I'm looking for the juicer with the least number of parts for washing up/compact juicer.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 05:02:07 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Jaboticaba45

• Matthew 7:16-18
    • Ooltewah Tennesee, USA zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 05:22:25 PM »
Yes, perlite is to keep the soil from compacting over time. A must have for potting plants imo.
chempedak cheena breadnut breadfruit kwai muk pedalai marang jackfruit I love artocarpus-Ryan

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
Yes, perlite is to keep the soil from compacting over time. A must have for potting plants imo.

Cheers!!
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »
                                                     Many mangos

Large Keitt mangos were for sale at the fruit and vegetable market, 3/$3.88 for a box. Amazing. Reminded me of the front cover of Walter Zill's Maturing With Mangos book, which shows a large mango being held, on it.

(The other mango names that were printed on the  mango box are Haden,Kent and Parvin. Keitt, what was inside the box, was ticked. The company must also exports the other three.)

I brought a box of 5 Pakistani Honey mangoes, 5 mangos for 10/$12.93.
Anwar rotal(never tasted), Chaunsa(Tasted lots), Sindhri(tasted once-simiar to Chaunsa) and Sunheri(Never tasted) were written on the box, but there was not ticks, so I cannot affirm what mango variety this was. I believe that it is not Chaunsa as I had plenty of them during the summer(grew 4 seedlings), which have the same golden yellow/orange colour, but did not have the glossy appearance which this mango does.

Palmer and Tommy Atkins-access

I noticed they are selling Palmer mangos in Sainsbury's supermarket. I will have to try it at some point.

Furthermore a continental supermarket sold some reddish yellow, quite large mangos with ''Tommy'' ticked on the list of variety options. I assume this must mean 'Tommy Atkins' variety and I must taste it at some point.

--

It would be really interesting to have survey data of the list of mangos based on popularity. It would also be interesting to have a list of when each was created(or discovered) chronologically. I do wonder which is the latest one!! Maybe there already is some of such data about mangos out there!

(Extra :Non-mango content posted in Citrus section

'Feeling Limey'

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41073.0

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:37:00 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
                 Pakistani mango taste test (It is either Sindhri, Anwar Rotal or Sunheri)

Outer appearance, is medium size golden yellow with some green stripes or patch. Shiny, silky smooth skin.
Light sweet smell aromatic, sweet, characteristic of a Chaunsa. Inner flesh sweet and with much less honey-like notes that I had in a Chaunsa. Sugary,sugar cane, concentrated sweetness, mangoey flavour, aroma. Only a little piney flavour on some parts. No tartness. Very pale yellow flesh with deeper yellow towards the centre. Flesh thick and fibrey. Its quite sweet so I think one at a time is adequate for me.

I'm not going to rate it as you probably know that I am a fan of the Indian/Pakistani mangos, and am yet to try most of all the world's other varieties, so I think just a description would be ok.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:41:55 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2020, 07:37:27 PM »
Just reading about a description about 'Sweet Tart' on Tropical Acres Farm and it made me feel like wow!

''The flesh is medium-firm, fiberless, and orange in color, containing a polyembryonic seed with poor flesh-to-seed ratio.  The flavor is nothing short of amazing, a flavor bomb with intense richness and complexity, its strong tart component like that of a candy that gets balanced out by a big punch of sweetness. As the fruit becomes more ripe, its tart component diminishes as the sweetness becomes cola syrup-like.''

polyembreyonic ?yay! check
fibreless ? yay! check
richness and complexity? yay! check
like a candy? yay! check
cola syrup? A MANGO THAT TASTES Of COCO COLA.  my life is truly complete. check!

https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/product-page/sweet-tart

:-* 8)

If I could make a mango taste like any food, I would make it taste like....maybe blueberries? Hmm
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:47:11 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »
                                         Lovely ''Lassi''-making experience

Today I tried Cook Maunika Gowardhan's recepie for mango lassi. I got all the ingredients, except the saffron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK9kh9RzZBo&t=100s

I made its using the Pakistani honey mangos from yesterday.

(3-4 servings)

saffron in warm water soak for colour to come out for a few minutes
1 honey mango's flesh
150 g mango pulp tinned
2-3 pods cardamom ground seeds
tablespoon sugar
200 g full fat yoghurt
80 ml milk or water Blend

In her recepie she uses both fresh mango and tinned mango pulp, but I think you can make this drink with either.
 An Indian restaurant serves delicious mango lassi all year round, so I suspect they use handy tinned pulp for it when its is not mango season.

How I found it

The cardamon seeds I tasted were quite strong, they sort of took away from the strong sweet aroma of the mango. The pistachio crunch was really satisfying and made the drink a memorable experience. The recepie made two glasses for me. Next time I would make it with pulp, milk and yogurt and scatter with loads of crushed pistachio. I will be making this again tomorrow, and trying some mango milkshake(!!), to use up the tin pulp, and freezing the rest of pulp in a clean takeaway container.

I wonder what other uses for mango pulp. Maybe I can add it to cake batter.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:16:43 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »

Edit: If you're wondering, why the hat is like a rectangular box, ''Paint'' wouldn't let me take out the background!!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:16:34 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2020, 05:06:02 PM »
                                              Mango milkshake

So I made a milkshake using ready-made mango pulp and skimmed milk.

The taste experience reminded me of a non-alcoholic pina colada I drank once from Marks and Spencer, but with the pina colada flavour swapped with a mango flavour. The drink seemed quite light and not creamy, probably because the milk was Skimmed. It had a slight bitterness, from the pulp, though. Maybe the addition of sugar would have helped.

I wrote my experience with, Citron limon dimante (?)/A Bangladeshi Lime, here:

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=41073.0

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 06:42:23 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
 In the Caribbean when they make lemon lime juice they add banana Essence it is called lime squash.

https://www.vikingstlucia.com/shop/products/view/45/4

This is not imitation it is distilled
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 05:56:50 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS   Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2020, 06:37:33 PM »
In the Caribbean when they make lemon lime juice they add banana Essence it is called lime squash.

https://www.vikingstlucia.com/shop/products/view/45/4

Wow banana and lime that sounds delish!! :D

This is not imitation it is distilled
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2020, 08:47:27 PM »
I would love some of my prose to be used in children's school comprehension english worksheets.
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »
I found a video ''Worlds's largest mango tree''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3cRSExstyY

I find it interesting how the branches twirl out from so low on the tree. And also to think that one day, they were are thin as a telephone cord.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:44:56 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »
I feel like eating a Fazli mango!! I just want the aroma  !

With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
Tired  :(
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »
Had a raw date. Perfect for a quick sweet fix.

I don't know why, this photo made me giggle

A leaf from the Osteen mango tree fell off when I touched it. Another leaf is drying up.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 08:29:31 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers