Author Topic: Feijoa cold tolerance ??  (Read 1970 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Feijoa cold tolerance ??
« on: September 23, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
Can feijoa's really take subzero temp of - 17 C/ 1.4 f . I am growing three varieties two of which are unknown and one jemini. All over the web there are statements that the plants handle such low temps, so my question is ..... do the plants start to have cold damage at this temp , or is this the temp on which the plant is killed to the ground ?? If the latter , can anyone shed some light on the stages of cold damage for feijoa for the leaves , young twigs , older wood etc. and on what temps have u all witnessed different cold damage stages . As usual thanks for any inputs !!☺
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:52:53 AM by Plantinyum »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Feijoa cold tolerance ??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:08 AM »
I don't think that feijoa can take -17 Celsius. They can handle down to zone 8(15 degrees F), but even then, they don't grow where I live and it rarely goes below 15 here. Hope that helps!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 10:41:28 AM »
Could anyone tell me how to move this topic to te tropical fruit forum, by mistake I released it here, tanks .

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 12:08:39 PM »
I'm in zone 7b (Raleigh, North Carolina) and I can grow them just fine. Our winters are mild with only a few weeks of really cold weather scattered throughout the season. Although it can get down to 10-12 degrees F, it is rare. Only a couple of hours drive north into the Virginia mountains (I assume zone 6) people can keep the plants alive but they never get fruit.

Plankton

• USA, Florida Winter Park, Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Tree Studios
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
TriangleJohn, does Feijoa fruit in 7b?
PLANTS!!!

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
I honestly think you can fruit in it zone 7, but the winters here are long and cold. Not super cold, but extended periods below 28 probably will kill it after a few months.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »
Just saw someone moved the post, thanks ☺. I am thinking of growing mine in a greenhouse with citrus which will be heated to the minimum. I am asking couse was wondering if they could survive in a unheated greenhouse in zone seven, apparently it looks like they will.....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 02:27:21 PM »
I'm in zone 7b (Raleigh, North Carolina) and I can grow them just fine. Our winters are mild with only a few weeks of really cold weather scattered throughout the season. Although it can get down to 10-12 degrees F, it is rare. Only a couple of hours drive north into the Virginia mountains (I assume zone 6) people can keep the plants alive but they never get fruit.

Winters over here are basically the same , mild with mostly rain and without a lasting snow cover all the way up to December , the worst of our  winters usually happens in January  and February, when we may have a week or two of 24 hour a day subzero maximum temps . The coldest I think I have saw in my village till now is around minus 23C , thought this is somewhat rare as we usually have the biggest minimums around -15 C .

kernol

• Austria 6b/7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 12:43:31 PM »
I think Feijoas can withstand far more cold and frost than most people suspect, although it might as well depend on the soil, frost duration and microclimate.
I can only speak from my own experience: I have one Feijoa plant grown from seed permanently planted outside in the ground since 2017. 
The frost period here usually extends from November to February and March (around 75 frosty days on average).
Winter 17/18 was exceptionally cold with minimum temperatures of -18°C / -0,4°F (see image for detailed temperature chart). During these cold spells I only covered my Feijoa with some fleece and some conifer twigs and no active heating or whatsoever. To my surprise my plant survived almost undamaged with only some frost burnt leaves on top and has recovered perfectly fine since then.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
I think Feijoas can withstand far more cold and frost than most people suspect, although it might as well depend on the soil, frost duration and microclimate.
I can only speak from my own experience: I have one Feijoa plant grown from seed permanently planted outside in the ground since 2017. 
The frost period here usually extends from November to February and March (around 75 frosty days on average).
Winter 17/18 was exceptionally cold with minimum temperatures of -18°C / -0,4°F (see image for detailed temperature chart). During these cold spells I only covered my Feijoa with some fleece and some conifer twigs and no active heating or whatsoever. To my surprise my plant survived almost undamaged with only some frost burnt leaves on top and has recovered perfectly fine since then.

thanks for the tip, -18C  and not a lot of damage, that perfectly corresponds with the hardiness temps given for feijoa by the nurseries I have bought my feijoas. Is your plant planted in a sunny place in winter, I have read that u have to shy away from places that get direct sun in the winter when considering planting a feijoa...
By the way has your  plant flowered yet and how big has it grown by now ?