Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Avocado that does well in a large container in South FL?  (Read 508 times)

scashaggy

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
Avocado that does well in a large container in South FL?
« on: October 18, 2020, 07:54:53 AM »
I'm looking to get an avocado but want to container grow it.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

mangomadness

• :)
    • United Kindom, Zone 9a. Eat for your organs, not your taste buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado that does well in a large container in South FL?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:50:43 AM »
I found a list of avocados that grow in South/Central Florida if that helps refine your list.

https://www.flgardening.com/growing-avocados-in-florida/
With compliments

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
I found a list of avocados that grow in South/Central Florida if that helps refine your list.

https://www.flgardening.com/growing-avocados-in-florida/

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Rob

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
If you're worried I gave wrong information then you write your own advice?
With compliments

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 09:09:18 AM »

Why don't you stop posting information/misinfornation you have absolutely ZERO knowledge on.

People are also tired if seeing your, "thats nice," "sorry, I don't know" and "thats cool" responses.  They mean nothing, add nothing, a clutter up people's posts who are actually posting for specific reasons.
- Rob

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 09:11:04 AM »
why are you obsessed with me? ? ? ?
With compliments

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 09:17:24 AM »
To get back to the topic, the list of what can be grown in pots beyond the short term is small.  You can try any variety to begin with but to keep it in a pot for an extended timeframe, you options are extremely limited. You will eventually need to got to pits in the 100-500 gal size and then moving and root pruning will require expertise and a bobcat.

Bacon is probably the smallest variety but not very good in quality.  Next would be Florida Hass but it has its own issues, especially with uneven ripening.  Day, Wurtz and Lula are choices but with those, they will eventual outgrow the pots (and need to be in larger pots as described above).
- Rob

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
To get back to the topic, the list of what can be grown in pots beyond the short term is small.  You can try any variety to begin with but to keep it in a pot for an extended timeframe, you options are extremely limited. You will eventually need to got to pits in the 100-500 gal size and then moving and root pruning will require expertise and a bobcat.

Bacon is probably the smallest variety but not very good in quality.  Next would be Florida Hass but it has its own issues, especially with uneven ripening.  Day, Wurtz and Lula are choices but with those, they will eventual outgrow the pots (and need to be in larger pots as described above).

Thank you
With compliments

johnb51

• USA Coconut Creek, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 09:44:24 AM »
 :blank:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:33:08 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
woteva..
With compliments

johnb51

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:32:37 AM by johnb51 »
John

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 11:32:41 AM »
Bacon is a small variety? 
Brad Spaugh

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »

Why don't you stop posting information/misinfornation you have absolutely ZERO knowledge on.

People are also tired if seeing your, "thats nice," "sorry, I don't know" and "thats cool" responses.  They mean nothing, add nothing, a clutter up people's posts who are actually posting for specific reasons.

I am curious to know who finds me annoying?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:38:03 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »

Here in Florida it is more compact and smaller.

Just like Wurtz is the opposite here. It can reach over 20 feet with a spreading growth habit.
- Rob

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »

and just to let you know, many Tropical Fruit Forum Members come on here to ask for ideas and links. I am not claiming to be a genius. I only post becuase that is what THEY ask for, (and no one has complained about it, the users are usually *HAPPY* when I try to help them.) therefore helping and promoting the use of the forum.. (and being a''part'' of the tropical fruit community.) sometimes it is sad when there are no responses to a question especially by newbies like me, so some clue can inspire or give confidence to the user which i also thought is a positive thing...

I do think that you were the ''only one'' that got ''annoyed'' at me and you were just saying that becuase of the contempt..lots of people i think actually ''like'' me...

and if my posting bothered you so much(im not the only one who posted a lot btw, but of course  other people are ''cool''. why didnt you ignore me or put me on the ignore list?????instead of angling **everything** I do into a Negative context. (positive things were of course turned a ''blind eye'' to.). i didnt put you on ignore  or confrtont you becuase i am a peaceful and forgiving person but I should have done  that a long time ago...

« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 06:13:51 AM by mangomadness »
With compliments

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 01:48:12 PM »
sorry to distrub, If anyone else has answers plz help the original user)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:51:44 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

roblack

• Miami, FL 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »
mm. if you truly mean well, then please listen.

no one wants to fight with you.

when people ask questions on this forum, they are not looking for google links. they are looking for information and advice from knowledgeable growers. that usually does not include you and i.

many of us receive updates from this site and specific threads, and are curious to read new posts. if new posts do not add anything to the conversation, it is annoying. most people will not post or speak up about this, for a variety of reasons.

i like your mango diary thread. you are doing something few are in the uk, and have an appreciation for tropical fruit. we share that love.

let's find some balance here. we can all learn from each other

...as for avocados in containers, i do not know much, and am curious to hear what other have to say. florida haas sounds like a good choice, despite issues, as container cados aren't easy to find. another way of looking at it is short term. grow a good cado in successively bigger pots till it is too big, then put another, young cado in its place
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:09:12 PM by roblack »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
"Blessed are the peacemakers..."  Thanks for trying to explain to her, roblack.
John

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 02:46:23 PM »
I keep hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong about this variety.This Utuado is 5 years old. It did produce some fruit on the third year but it got transplanted into the butterfly garden and hasn't produced since. It's 3 ft tall so I don't think you would have to worry about it out growing a pot and not much chance of getting foundered on the fruit

John you wouldn't happen to know what the first step of the 12-step program for Forum addiction is I think I may need help. Lol

Tete Nene Julie Little Gem Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS Phoenix Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 03:03:39 PM »
At least you're funny, Monty.
John

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 03:29:10 PM »
yes :) but the point I was trying to make, is that if I found the cure to mortality he  would still  made an issue with it(about me)..
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:45:58 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »

Just like Wurtz is the opposite here. It can reach over 20 feet with a spreading growth habit.

Wurtz gets huge here too.  Most "dwarf" avocado trees just set a ton of fruit and stunt themselves.  But if the fruit is thinned or completely removed and the trees are allowed to grow they get big. 

That sounds really strange about Bacon, its a huge tree.

I think avocados arent good container trees and it should just be avoided as you really dont see many fruiting avocados in pot.  Im sure theres a few but if people want a good avocado crop, the trees need to get some size.  Plus thry tend to be difficult to keep really happy in a pot. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:45:21 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 03:44:52 PM »

Wurtz gets huge here too.  Most "dwarf" avocado trees just set a tin of fruit and stunt themselves.  But if the fruit is thinned or completely removed and the trees are allowed to grow they get big. 

I think avocados arent good container trees and it should just be avoided as you really dont see many fruiting avocados in pot.  Im sure theres a few but if people want a good avocado crop, the trees need to get some size.  Plus thry tend to be difficult to keep really happy in a pot.

I do agree that they are not a good candidate for pots, especially in a location of prime climate for avocados.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
yes :) but the point I was trying to make, is that if I found the cure to mortality he  would still  made an issue with it(about me)..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-Rl5acQdA
John

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF-Rl5acQdA
woohoo oh thanks I feel so much better now.Lol
Tete Nene Julie Little Gem Pickering Dot Sonpari Mallika PPK E-4 OS Phoenix Fruit Punch SweetTart Honey Kiss M-4 Neelam

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:04 PM »

Wurtz gets huge here too.  Most "dwarf" avocado trees just set a ton of fruit and stunt themselves.  But if the fruit is thinned or completely removed and the trees are allowed to grow they get big. 

Extracting from what you're saying and in hindsight I feel maybe I did stunts that Utuado tree. I should have thinned sooner and not let it carry that one fruit but Temptation got the best of me wanting to taste test it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 04:14:39 PM by bovine421 »

mangomadness

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 07:31:37 PM »

If people tired of me can put on ignore list. Comments form a part of discussion.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 07:44:29 PM by mangomadness »
With compliments

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »

If people tired of me can put on ignore list. Comments form a part of discussion.

You do realize this forum does NOT haven an ignore feature?  You obviously have been at this on other blogs that do...
- Rob

bovine421

• Half Hop Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 12:06:01 AM »
No I did not realize that because so many of my post have been ignored. Probably with good reason. The textual silence can be quite deafening. Nevertheless I appreciate this forum I have gained so much useful information to help me properly take care of my trees :)

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Today at 05:51:27 PM »
I don't understand the reason why anyone would plan to grow a fruiting tree like avocado in a pot. To me that is like keeping a dog in a small kennel, or chained up. These trees strive to have a good life and keeping them in a pot means they can't reach their potential and are forced to remain completely dependent on the owner with very little margin for error.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers