Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Is there more than one Honeybell variety?  (Read 362 times)

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
Is there more than one Honeybell variety?
« on: December 20, 2020, 10:24:27 PM »
Our neighbor has a Honeybell tree, and all of his oranges were ripe and picked 3 weeks ago. Our Honeybell is just ripening now. Seems odd, so I was wondering if there was more than one variety. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Is there more than one Honeybell variety?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
I don't think so.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 01:33:48 AM »
Different rootstocks could influence the ripening time of a variety in the same location, could that be a factor ??

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 06:43:15 AM »
Sugarbelle was marketed as an "early honeybelle" when it first came out. It ripens 4-6 weeks before the original Honeybelle (or Minneola as I call it). Minneola was a hybrid between a Dancy Tangerine and a Duncan Grapefruit. Sugarbelle was then a hybrid between a Minneola and a Clementine (of Cutie/Halo fame). Sugarbelle looks a lot like Minneola/Honeybelle but is a little smaller, has fewer seeds, and ripens earlier. I drive by a small grove of them on my way to work and can verify that they were ripe here in central Florida several weeks ago (although I have yet to taste one  :P). Our Minneola is just starting to get good color.

edweather

• Kingsland, GA Z9a, HZ9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Much appreciated. 

Vespasian

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:29:38 PM »
Sugarbelle was marketed as an "early honeybelle" when it first came out. It ripens 4-6 weeks before the original Honeybelle (or Minneola as I call it). Minneola was a hybrid between a Dancy Tangerine and a Duncan Grapefruit. Sugarbelle was then a hybrid between a Minneola and a Clementine (of Cutie/Halo fame). Sugarbelle looks a lot like Minneola/Honeybelle but is a little smaller, has fewer seeds, and ripens earlier. I drive by a small grove of them on my way to work and can verify that they were ripe here in central Florida several weeks ago (although I have yet to taste one  :P). Our Minneola is just starting to get good color.
I have 3 Minneola trees that originated from Record Buck. 6-7' tall. All 3 ripened about 7 weeks ago. But... I'm just now seeing FL grove grown Minneola's in the local supermarket. I feed heavily, not sure if that matters. If mine were any sweeter they would be too sweet so I considered them to be at their peak. They are all on a trifolate root stock growing in a sandy muck soil I top dress with lawn lime annually. Hands down my favorite citrus for juicing.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers