Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Mammea americana air layering?  (Read 230 times)

AlexE

• Atherton, Nth Queensland, australia
    • View Profile
Mammea americana air layering?
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:03:49 PM »
Hi all,

So I have a small Mammea americana tree currently in an 7 gallon pot, it was only meant to be a temporary thing while I was looking for property but it's taking a lot longer with everything happening at the moment.  I was hoping to plant it out and then air layer it at a later date, maybe even graft it if it gets big enough to fruit. There's a lot of info on propogation by seedlings and gradting but not so much on marcotting. Is it actually possible to propagate them by air layer/marcotting?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:17:25 PM by AlexE »

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mammea americana air layering?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »
I am also interested in this . Hope we can get someone to chime in

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 10:09:11 PM »
Julia Morton indicates that cuttings have been used for this species in Fruits of Warm Climates. I can't think of a plant that can be propigated by cuttings that will not airlayer. Approach grafting with a seedling in a pot would be another easy option for people with limited grafting skills (like me).  :-\

AlexE

• Atherton, Nth Queensland, australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:42:49 PM »
Julia Morton indicates that cuttings have been used for this species in Fruits of Warm Climates. I can't think of a plant that can be propigated by cuttings that will not airlayer. Approach grafting with a seedling in a pot would be another easy option for people with limited grafting skills (like me).  :-\

I think so as well, just didn't want to plant it in the ground and then lose the tree when I move.  I actually think it might be a marcot or cutting itself, just checked the stem again and it's hard to tell.  Its not a graft though.

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead's Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • PG Tropicals & Guavonia Guava Grove
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 05:16:11 AM »
Marcotting a non bearing specimen of a species that is known to produce male seedlings is not a sure shot approach. Our tree took approx 13 years to fruit. It has produced plentifully every year since 2013.
Member of the Rare Fruit Council International, Inc. (RFCI), MIAMI, Florida. Founding Charter HQ of the (RFCI) Established in 1955 http://RareFruitCouncil.org

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin/

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers