Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 206508 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #1350 on: May 15, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »
I bought a jabo with some bark damage at the trunk. Is there something I should do to prevent it from rotting in the future? Or is it fine to leave it like this? It has been growing nicely otherwise.

Maybe clear away the dirt around the wound.
How deep is the cut?

Wound seems deep, I dug down 3Ē and it was missing part of the bark all the way down. I didnít dig further fearing roots may be disturbed. I was unaware of the missing bark until I bought it home since it was wrapped in trash bags for the journey.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #1351 on: May 16, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
should grow right out of it, they swallow wounds like the blob...

i got some with really bad wounds and they seem to heal with no help...

but i'm sure unlucky trees can decline in rare cases...i'd probably just leave it alone, and try not to get that part saturated too much...
I bought a jabo with some bark damage at the trunk. Is there something I should do to prevent it from rotting in the future? Or is it fine to leave it like this? It has been growing nicely otherwise.

How deep is the cut?

Wound seems deep, I dug down 3Ē and it was missing part of the bark all the way down. I didnít dig further fearing roots may be disturbed. I was unaware of the missing bark until I bought it home since it was wrapped in trash bags for the journey.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 17, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »
Whatís an expected price for a 45 gallon jaboticaba already fruiting?

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 17, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
should grow right out of it, they swallow wounds like the blob...

i got some with really bad wounds and they seem to heal with no help...

but i'm sure unlucky trees can decline in rare cases...i'd probably just leave it alone, and try not to get that part saturated too much...

How deep is the cut?

Good to know, thanks.

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 18, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »
Iím excited!!  :D now to find a spot to plant it.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:43:23 PM by Tiberivs »

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 18, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »
I paid I think $200 or so for my 25 gallon red jabo (not the easiest thing to find) and it began fruiting in December and was planted last July 2018.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 19, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »
Does anyone water their potted jaboticabas through saucer/kiddie pool/stock tank below the pot? Instead of watering from the top let water soak up through bottom since Jabos like wet feet?

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 20, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »
I paid I think $200 or so for my 25 gallon red jabo (not the easiest thing to find) and it began fruiting in December and was planted last July 2018.

Thanks yea I ended up going to a couple of different places ended up with a 45 believe itís sabrah. Didnít have fruit or flowers but looks like itís big enough to start any moment.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 20, 2019, 12:27:03 AM »
Does anyone water their potted jaboticabas through saucer/kiddie pool/stock tank below the pot? Instead of watering from the top let water soak up through bottom since Jabos like wet feet?

I wanted to post an update, I placed a saucer under red jabo from plantogram about a week ago. Newer leaves are broader and longer, it must like its feet wet. Sabara isnít showing any noticeable difference but new leaves are pushing.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers