Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Graft now or wait?  (Read 257 times)

Malhar

• Orange County, CA, USA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Graft now or wait?
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:47:09 PM »
I have an in-ground multi-grafted mandarin tree with Algerian Freemont, Page, Kishu and Dancy tangerine grafts. To my surprise, Page and Kishu have been very bland for me.  Hence, I am thinking about cutting the page and Kishu grafts and bark-grafting with Xie Shan, Shiranui and Kinnow mandarin.

I was planning to wait untill march before grafting them but I am already seeing new growth on the tree. What I have noticed is that most of the growth occurs from February to June on my orange trees ( I am in coastal Orange County, Zone 10a, about 10 miles from the coast). Once the temperature reaches 80s, Citrus Leaf Miner (CLM) kicks in and the new growth gets stunted. If I am to graft now, it will give several months of new growth before CLM starts affecting them.

So, I am wondering if I should go ahead and graft them now or wait till March?

Thank your or your responses.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Graft now or wait?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »
Graft now. I start my grafting from mid-Jan.

pinkturtle

• LA, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 09:12:33 PM »
I grafted Xie Shan and Mei Wa last November.  So far they are doing good.  See some new grow.

Malhar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 11:19:08 PM »
That is great.  I had always thought It was best to graft in late winter/early summer.  I was going to order scions from CCPP but turns out Shiranui scions won't be available till March.  I guess I will have to wait!

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »
Shiranui from CCPP is good, grafts grow well and tree will have many fruits.
But I noticed my 10yr old grafted Ponkan is also good and my Ponkan fruits tastes better than the 3yr old grafted Shiranui/sumo. So I suggest you also get the Ponkan (VI-311) to graft.

If you want the best tasting winner (per Millet) then include the Xie Shan Satuma (VI-621). Still waiting for fruits on my grafts.
I have most of the CCPP mandarins/tangors grafted and these 3 are the top ones in my opinion.

Ponkan Grafted Tree

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:56:38 AM by sc4001992 »

Malhar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 11:56:30 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions Kaz. Shiranui/sumo and Xie Shan were already on my list but will add Ponkan as well. Given the shipping costs, I wanted to order all of them at same time from CCPP but it seems that Shiranui/sumo will not be available till March.  So I will just have to wait.

Shiranui from CCPP is good, grafts grow well and tree will have many fruits. , But I noticed my 10yr old grafted Ponkan is also good and my Ponkan fruits tastes better than the 3yr old grafted Shiranui/sumo. So I suggest you also get the Ponkan (VI-311) to graft.

If you want the best tasting winner (per Millet) then include the Xie Shan Satuma (VI-621). Still waiting for fruits on my grafts.
I have most of the CCPP mandarins/tangors grafted and these 3 are the top ones in my opinion.

Ponkan Grafted Tree

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers