Author Topic: Pruning Carambola  (Read 809 times)

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
Pruning Carambola
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
My carambola has been in the ground for 1.5 years and has grown decently well in that time to be about 4’ high and wide. Its branches are pretty lanky and curved, and there is one about a foot from the ground that grows parallel with the ground. I know I will eventually need to prune away the low branch at least, but am not sure on timing. Should I let the tree have one more growing season and then see how it develops, or begin to shape it now by removing the low limb and cutting back the spindly branches to encourage branching? Just worried about removing too much too early. Cutting off the low branch especially will remove about 1/4 of foliage.

I’ve heard different trees respond differently to pruning when young. For instance, I’ve heard loquats are best to let grow on their own for 3 years or so before pruning and within that time can sort themselves out quite a bit. Have not seen such detailed info on starfruit. Thanks much

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning Carambola
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 06:40:09 PM »
I wouldn't worry about lopping it off. The tree will respond with new growth rapidly.

I would prune them all back to just 6" long, honestly. It's spring time. I chopped mine back at least a foot on every lanky branch TWICE and it still was full size again before winter hit. It went from being 2-3' wide to to 6" wide, no joke. It is 3' wide again.

gardenfreak

• South Central PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 06:50:24 PM »
Nice tree. What do you plan to do with the cuttings ? I am interested. Please let me know.
Thanks

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
Tree looks bad when side branch dominate main branch.
I would remove that big low branch.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 01:36:54 PM »
I had about a 4-ft. trunk on mine and let it branch above that.  That seemed to work well, and I topped it at least once a year.  You can't kill a carambola!  They're vigorous and produce more fruit than you'll know what to do with!
John

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 06:37:25 PM »
they drink a lot of water

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:19 AM »
It is always good to have a look at mature trees when imagining the result of formative pruning a young tree.
Have a look at the mature trees on this commercial Carambola orchard. I show some of the trees bare after pruning which can give you an idea of the possibilities. Carambola is one tree which really responds to pruning with explosive growth if they are healthy and able.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29381.msg331892#msg331892

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk