Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Dream Atemoya, a variety that fruits in FL ! Introduced by Wayne Clifton  (Read 62168 times)

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Atemoya, a variety that fruits in FL ! Introduced by Wayne Clifton
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2018, 01:47:53 AM »
Hello from Hawaii

Adam (flying fox fruits) sent me ďdreamĒ scions about 3-4 years ago and I was able to graft them on to cherimoya rootstock.   Fast forward a few years and I got my first fruits this fall. 3 to be exact.  I definitely had to hand pollinate, and I bagged the fruits. 

But WOW! The flavor of this fruit is amazing.  Probably the best atemoya Iíve ever had.  And yeah Iím gonna go ahead and say this is an atemoya just based on the shape of the fruit and the large lumpy shoulders it had.   Very few seeds. Great consistency.  Just wow. Worth all the effort

With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Capt Ram

• Lake Worth, Fl
    • View Profile
    • Sailing-charters.org
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2018, 02:28:13 AM »
When would be the best time to graft this in S.Fl.
Www.sailing-charters.org

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
Frank,

What variety are those two fruits? Are they Dream atemoya? They look very tasty and great looking fruit to boot.

Vincent.

Hey Vince
Here in SoCal we call dream by its original name Arka Sahan....we believe they are the same variety

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:19:53 PM by JF »

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »
Frank,

What variety are those two fruits? Are they Dream atemoya? They look very tasty and great looking fruit to boot.

Vincent.

Hey Vince
Here in SoCal we call dream by its original name Arka Sahan....we believe they are the same variety

Hey JF, how are the dream in SoCal? I have some growing from seed right now (im in norcal) should I grow to maturity or use at root stalk in your opinion?
-Kris

JF

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2018, 02:31:52 PM »
Frank,

Vincent.

Hey Vince

Hey JF, how are the dream in SoCal? I have some growing from seed right now (im in norcal) should I grow to maturity or use at root stalk in your opinion?
Arka Sahan are delicious unfortunately are not true to seeds you will have to graft them. My anona sale is in March 2019

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #330 on: November 08, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
lol Dream is a seedling, so it's not the same.

Frank,

Vincent.

Hey Vince

Arka Sahan are delicious unfortunately are not true to seeds you will have to graft them. My anona sale is in March 2019
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #331 on: November 08, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
I wonder if anyone can verify if they had distributed budwood of Arka to South America (Peru) soon after it had been released?

I suppose Dream could have been a seedling of Arka that stayed true, I've seen this happen with some of the variable atemoyas that are not true from seed, like Lisa (48-26)...so every now and then you get a seedling that is just like the parent, or not much different, from a tree that normally produces highly variable offspring.

Wayne said he planted the original Dream from seed, and he's not a liar.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JF

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
I wonder if anyone can verify if they had distributed budwood of Arka to South America (Peru) soon after it had been released?

I suppose Dream could have been a seedling of Arka that stayed true, I've seen this happen with some of the variable atemoyas that are not true from seed, like Lisa (48-26)...so every now and then you get a seedling that is just like the parent, or not much different, from a tree that normally produces highly variable offspring.

Hey Adam
Scions can get mixed up and varieties renamed by mistake it happens all the time but as I remember Dream was advertised as dream cherimoya which is absolutely false. This is clearly an atemoya whatever name you want to call it.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #333 on: November 09, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »

Hey Adam
Scions can get mixed up and varieties renamed by mistake it happens all the time but as I remember Dream was advertised as dream cherimoya which is absolutely false. This is clearly an atemoya whatever name you want to call it.

it being a seedling of Arka that stayed somewhat true is a logical explanation, if indeed, Wayne didn't mix things up.

i think everyone pretty much agreed a long time ago that it's most likely an atemoya. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Aaron

• FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:00 PM »
i remember reading arka sahan wasnt a f1 cross to begin with

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers